||This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009)
Mesh consists of semi-permeable barrier made of connected strands of metal, fiber, or other flexible/ductile material. Mesh is similar to web or net in that it has many attached or woven strands.
Types of mesh
- A plastic mesh is extruded, oriented, expanded or tubular. Plastic mesh can be made from polypropylene, polyethylene, nylon, PVC or PTFE.
- A metal mesh can be woven, knitted, welded, expanded, photo-chemically etched or electroformed (screen filter) from steel or other metals.
- In clothing, a mesh is often defined as a loosely woven or knitted fabric that has a large number of closely spaced holes, frequently used for modern sports jerseys and other clothing.
- A mesh skin graft is a skin patch that has been cut systematically to create a mesh. Meshing of skin grafts provides coverage of a greater surface area at the recipient site, and also allows for the egress of serous or sanguinous fluid. However, it results in a rather pebbled appearance upon healing that may ultimately look less aesthetically pleasing.
- Fiberglass mesh is a neatly woven, crisscross pattern of fiberglass thread that is used to create new products such as tape and filters. When it is used as a filter, it is not uncommon for the manufacturer to spray a PVC coating to make it stronger and last longer. The most common place to find fiberglass mesh is in tape products.
Uses of mesh
- Meshes are often used to screen out unwanted things, such as insects. Wire screens on windows and mosquito netting can be considered as types of meshes.
- Wire screens can be used to shield against radio frequency radiation, e.g. in microwave ovens and Faraday cages.
- Metal and nylon wire mesh filters are used in filtration
- Wire mesh is used in guarding for secure areas and as protection in the form of vandal screens.
- Wire mesh can be fabricated to produce park benches, waste baskets and other baskets for material handling.
- A huge quantity of mesh is being used for screen printing work.
- Surgical mesh is used to provide a reinforcing structure in surgical procedures like inguinal hernioplasty, and umbilical hernia repair.
- Meshes are also used as drum heads in practice and electronic drum sets.