|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2012)|
|Motto: "Where the Good Life Begins"|
|• Total||43.6 sq mi (113.0 km2)|
|• Land||43.5 sq mi (112.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.3 km2)|
|Elevation||735 ft (441 m)|
|• Density||140/sq mi (55/km2)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1462163|
Northfield is a town in Washington County, Vermont, United States. It lies in a valley within the Green Mountains, and has been the home of Norwich University since 1866. The town contains the village of Northfield, where over half of its population lives. The total population of the town was 6,207 at the 2010 census.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 43.6 square miles (113.0 km2), of which 43.5 square miles (112.7 km2) is land and 0.12 square miles (0.3 km2), or 0.29%, is water.
The geographic center of Vermont is located within the town, with markers on the university campus of the geographical and magnetic centers.
As of the census of 2000, there were 5,791 people, 1,819 households, and 1,224 families residing in the town. The population density was 132.5 people per square mile (51.2/km2). There were 1,958 housing units at an average density of 44.8 per square mile (17.3/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 95.41% White, 1.02% Black or African American, 0.36% Native American, 1.33% Asian, 0.43% from other races, and 1.45% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.21% of the population.
There were 1,819 households out of which 32.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.5% were couples living together and joined in either marriage or civil union, 10.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.7% were non-families. 24.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.46 and the average family size was 2.95.
In the town the population was spread out with 19.4% under the age of 18, 27.2% from 18 to 24, 22.8% from 25 to 44, 18.9% from 45 to 64, and 11.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 30 years. For every 100 females there were 122.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 122.5 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $41,523, and the median income for a family was $51,818. Males had a median income of $32,168 versus $24,781 for females. The per capita income for the town was $15,592. About 3.2% of families and 6.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 6.4% of those under age 18 and 6.2% of those age 65 or over.
Northfield's local newspapers include the Northfield News & Transcript and the Barre Montpelier Times Argus. The Northfield News & Transcript is a weekly newspaper and was established in 1878 by George Richmond.
- Vermont Route 12 - Northfield to Montpelier. Northfield to Brookfield
- Vermont Route 64 - Northfield to Williamstown
- Joseph H. Denny, Speaker of the Vermont House of Representatives and President pro tempore of the Vermont State Senate
- Alonzo Jackman, Norwich University professor and Brigadier General of the Vermont Militia in the American Civil War
- Charles Paine, president of the Vermont Central Railroad and the 15th governor of Vermont
- Charles Plumley, congressman from Vermont
- Frank Plumley, congressman from Vermont
- Trijang Chocktrul Rinpoche, Tibetan Buddhist spiritual leader
- "Town of Northfield official website". Town of Northfield official website. Retrieved November 6, 2012.
- "Northfield Vermont". City-Data.com. Retrieved November 6, 2012.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Northfield town, Washington County, Vermont". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved September 18, 2012.
- "Profile for Northfield, Vermont, VT". ePodunk. Retrieved November 6, 2012.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Northfield town, Washington County, Vermont". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved September 18, 2012.
- Norwich University
- "The Northfield News". The Northfield News. Retrieved November 6, 2012.
- "Times Argus". Times Argus. Retrieved November 6, 2012.
- Ellis, William Arba (1911). Norwich University, 1819-1911; her history, her graduates, her roll of honor. The Capitol City Press. p. 391.
- Duffy, John J. (2003). The Vermont Encyclopedia. UPNE. p. 169.
- "Charles Paine". Find A Grave. Retrieved November 6, 2012.
- "PLUMLEY, Charles Albert, (1875 - 1964)". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress. Retrieved November 6, 2012.
- "PLUMLEY, Frank, (1844 - 1924)". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress. Retrieved November 6, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Northfield, Vermont.|