Pepper is a humanoid robot by Aldebaran Robotics and SoftBank Mobile designed with the ability to read emotions. It was introduced in a conference on 5th June 2014, and has been showcased to the public at Softbank mobile stores in Japan since 6th June. It will be available on February 2015 at a base price of JPY 198,000 ($1,931) at Softbank Mobile stores. Pepper's emotion comes from the ability to analyze expressions and voice tones.
The robot’s head has four microphones, two HD cameras (in the mouth and forehead), and a 3-D depth sensor (behind the eyes). There’s a gyroscope in the torso and touch sensors in the head and hands. The mobile base has two sonars, six lasers, three bumper sensors, and a gyro.
Pepper is not a functional robot for domestic use. Instead, Pepper is intended "to make people happy", enhance people's lives, facilitate relationships, have fun with people and connect people with the outside world. Pepper's creators hope that independent developers will create new content and uses for Pepper.
|Weight||28 kilograms (62 lb)|
Operation time: approx. 12hrs (when used at shop)
|Head Sensors||Mic x 4, RGB camera x 2, 3D sensor x 1, Touch sensor x 3|
|Chest Sensor||Gyro sensor x 1|
|Hands Sensors||Touch sensor x 2|
|Legs Sensors||Sonar sensor x 2, Laser sensor x 6, Bumper sensor x 3, Gyro sensor x 1|
|Moving parts||Degrees of motion
Head (2°), Shoulder (2°) (L&R), Elbow (2 rotations) (L&R), Wrist (1°) (L&R), hand 5 fingers (1°) (L&R), Hip (2°), knee (1°), base (3°)
|Networking||Wi-Fi: IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n (2.4GHz/5GHz）
Ethernet x1 (10/100/1000 base T)
|Motion speed||Up to 3 kilometres per hour (2 mph)|
|Climbing||Up to 1.5 centimetres (0.6 in)|
- Byford, Sam (5 June 2014). "SoftBank announces emotional robots to staff its stores and watch your baby – Pepper will go on sale for under $2,000 in February". theverge.com. Vox Media. Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- Nagata, Kazuaki (5 June 2014). "SoftBank unveils 'historic' robot – Cloud-linked machine reads emotions, can 'learn,' company says". The Japan Times. Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- Dignan, Larry (5 June 2014). "Softbank, Aldebaran launch Pepper, an emotional robot". zdnet.com. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- "SoftBank Mobile and Aldebaran unveil “Pepper”". aldebaran.com. Aldebaran Robotics, a division of SoftBank Group. 5 June 2014. Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- Nash, Audrow. "Robots: Looney the Robot". http://www.robotspodcast.com. Retrieved 10 February 2015.
- "FAQ About Pepper". Aldebaran. Retrieved 12 February 2015.