at the set of porichoy
30 September 1962 |
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Spouse(s)||Debashree Roy (1992–1995, divorced)
Aparna Guhathakurta (1997–2002, divorced)
Arpita Pal (2002–2014, divorced)
|Awards||Best Actor2007 Dosar|
Prosenjit Chatterjee (also Prosenjeet Chatterjee or Prosenjit Chattopadhyay (Bengali: প্রসেনজিৎ চট্টোপাধ্যায় Prosenjit Chôṭṭopaddhae; born 30 September 1962), professionally known as Proshenjit, is an Indian film actor and producer who works in Bengali and Hindi cinema. His fans affectionately called him Bumba Da. In rural Bengal he is addressed as Poshenjit. His rural fan base led him to do many films which had rustic storylines, films intellectuals shied away from. But his popularity was undeniable. Since 2003 with Rituparno Ghosh's Chokher Bali (co-starring Aishwarya Rai) he has acted in numerous films that won critical acclaim. In 2007 he received the National Award Silver Lotus for his performance in Dosar. He had acted in over 279 films as of October 2009. He is the Chief Mentor at International Institute of Photography in Kolkata to guide young talents.
Prosenjit has been the leading star of Bengali (West Bengal) commercial cinema for the past three decades.
Prosenjit is the only son of Biswajeet, the actor from Tollygunge who carved a niche in Hindi cinema in the 1960s, Prosenjit made his debut when he was just four years old in his father's Chhotto Jignasa (The Tiny Question). The film was a big hit and little Bumba’s fresh and natural performance warmed hearts in full theatres in 1969. It was back to school after that. His parents divorced; at age of sixteen, Prosenjit was left with the responsibility of his family consisting of his mother and little sister Pallavi Chatterjee, now an actress in her own right. Recently he hosted a family reality show in zee bangla 'Banglar Sera Paribar'. He also produced a bengali serial as a producer with his wife Arpita which is telecasted in zee bangla. The name of the serial is 'kanakanjali'.
However due to his father's role in his parents' separation, he and his sister Pallavi have little or no contact, at least officially, with him.
Prosenjit also got a request from Shoojit to play the role of former Indian Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi in Jaffna.
He attended Calcutta Airport English High School (H.S.) up to class 10. He attended St. Xavier's Collegiate School and St. Xavier's College, Calcutta. Prosenjit lives in Kolkata with his wife, actress Arpita Pal, and their son Trishanjit. He has had two previous marriages with Debashree Roy and Aparna Guhathakurta.
He made his debut as hero in ice age (1983), a teenage romance along the lines of Bobby. The film filled a vacuum in Bengali cinema through its look and mounting, distanced from stereotypical Bangla films of the time. It turned out to be a super-duper hit and, overnight, Prosenjit found stardom thrust on him.
"The story begins with Koushik cheating on his wife, spending a weekend with another woman and then running into a near-fatal accident. He sustains severe injuries and most of the time, I was horizontal and had to emote only through my eyes. None of my body parts moved except my eyes. It was extremely exhausting in a physical sense. It was also challenging because the Indian audience does not generally accept such characters."
Amar Sangi (1987) opposite Vijayeta Pandit, Apon Amaar Apon (1990) directed by Tarun Majumdar and Buddhadev Dasgupta’s Ami, Yasin Ar Amar Madhubala (2007) are the three outstanding films of his career. The song "Chirodini Tumi Je Amar" from Amar Sangi remains a hot favourite among lovers of Bengali music. In fact, Amar Sangi was his turning-point film. Prosenjit did not have to look back after that.
Among the 50 or so leading ladies he has acted with, he rates Debashree Roy (whom he was once married to) as the best. "She is outstanding and completely dedicated to her work. I have worked with her in more than 25 films. It is a pleasure to be cast opposite her in any film and I would welcome the opportunity any time she agrees to act with me. Many talented young women faded away into oblivion, constantly throwing up the challenge of creating new and talented leading ladies in the Bengali film industry," says Prosenjit. Satabdi Roy takes top place as his heroine, having acted with him in more than 50 films. He has done 35 films with Rachana Banerjee, 50 with Rituparna Sengupta, around 16 with Indrani Haldar and four with his wife Arpita Pal.Prosenjit and rituparna was the best jodi of tollywood and their maximum films were hit.
Prosenjit made an attempt to make it in Bollywood in 1990 when played the role of Mumtaz's son in her disastrous comeback film Aandhiyan. It was directed by David Dhawan. The story revolves around aspirations where his ordinary wife would be a disturbing factor. The son (played by Prosenjit) grows up to take revenge and finally unites his parents. The film disappeared without a trace. But this did not stop Prosenjit from playing the hero in the Mehul Kumar directed Meet Mere Man Ke (1991) alongside Ayesha Jhulka, Feroz Khan and Salma Agha. This, too, was a disaster after which Prosenjit decided to came back to his roots, choosing to become numero uno in his home state rather than becoming a bit-star doing secondary roles in Bollywood films. His other Bollywood films are Sone Ki Lanka and Veerta. After 21 years he made a comeback to Bollywood in Dibakar Banerjee's Shanghai.His next upcoming Bollywood film Traffic.
|BFJA Award||1998||Best Actor||Tumi Ele Tai||Won|
|BFJA Award||1999||Best Actor||Ashray||Won|
|BFJA Award||2000||Best Actor||Utsab||Won|
|Academy Award||2003||Best Actor||Chokher Bali||Won|
|BFJA Award||2003||Best Actor||Chokher Bali||Won|
|Anandalok Awards||1997||Best Actor||Ranokhetro||Won|
|Kalakar Awards||2005||Best Actor||Surya (film)||Won|
|BFJA Award||2007||Best Actor||Dosar||Won|
|National Film Award - Special Jury Award / Special Mention (Feature Film)||2007||Best Actor||Dosar||Won|
|Star Jalsha Entertainment Award||2010||Best Actor||Housefull||Won|
|Big Bangla movie awards||2011||Best Actor||Autograph (2010 film)||Won|
|Zee Gaurav award for Best Actor||2011||Best Actor||Autograph (2010 film)||Won|
|Anandalok Awards||2011||Best Actor||Moner Manush||Won|
|Stardust Awards||2013||Best Supporting Actor||Shanghai (2012 film)||Won|
|Mirchi Music Awards Bangla||2013||Surochitrak Prosenjit||Won|
|Mohanayak Somman Government of West Bengal||2013||Mohanayak Somman||Won|
|Filmfare Awards East||2014||Best Actor||Mishawr Rawhoshyo||Pending|
|Zee Bangla Gaurav Samman||2014||Best Actor||Mishawr Rawhoshyo||Nominated|
2001 – present
|2014||Traffic (2014 film)||Divya Dutta, Manoj Bajpayee, Parambrata Chatterjee||Rajesh Pillai|
|2015||Porichoi||Ferdous Ahmed, Indrani Chakraborty,||Rupali|
|2015||Lorai||Payel Sarkar, Indrasish Roy, Kanchan Mallick, Kharaj Mukherjee||Parambrata Chatterjee|
|2015||Untitled[disambiguation needed]||Jeet (actor),Bidya Sinha Mim||Raja Chanda|
|2015||Untitled||Vidya Balan||Sujoy Ghosh|
|2015||Kakababu 2||Srijit Mukherjee|
As An Anchor
|2013||Banglar Sera Paribar||Zee Bangla|
|2014||Tumi Je Aamar||Zee Bangla|
Most successful films
- Mishawr Rahasya
- Bikram Singha : The Lion Is Back
- Baishe Srabon
- Moner Manush
- Sob Charitra Kalponik
- Raju Uncle
- Nayak - the Real Hero
- Badsha The King
- Surya (film)
- Agni (2004 film)
- Kartavya (2003 film)
- Chokher Bali (film)
- Sabuj Saathi
- Sasurbari Zindabad
- Baba Keno Chakar
- Bakul Priya
- Biyer Phool
- Unishe April
- Bhai Amar Bhai
- Mon Mane Na (1992 film)
- Amar Sangi
- "Prosenjit". Upperstall.com. Retrieved 2008-12-26.
- "BAL Chatterjee". Calcuttaweb.com. Retrieved 2008-12-26.
- "Prosenjit Chatterjee". IMDb.com. Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- Sengupta, Reshmi (30 September 2008). "Older, wiser, busier!". Telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 2008-12-26.
- "The official site of Prosenjit Chatterjee – Home Please scroll down". Prosenjit.in. 2014-01-17. Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- "prosenjit chatterjee". Calcuttaweb. Retrieved 2014-04-07.
- "আনন্দবাজার - আনন্দ plus - কমেলশ্বেরর মহাভারত ভীষ্ম প্রসেনিজৎ". Anandabazar. Retrieved 2014-04-07.
- "আনন্দবাজার - আনন্দ plus - বিপরীতমুখী". Anandabazar. Retrieved 2014-04-07.
- "আনন্দবাজার - আনন্দ plus - বারো বছর বাদে". Anandabazar. Retrieved 2014-04-07.
- "Prosenjit as Bhupen Hazarika in biopic by Kalpana Lajmi - TOI Mobile - The Times of India Mobile Site". TOI. Retrieved 2014-04-14.
- "Divya will be seen as the wife of a superstar-essayed by Prosenjit Chatterjee inTraffic". Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "The Telegraph - Calcutta (Kolkata) - Entertainment - Producer Prosenjit celebrates his television outing. more applause for Goutam Ghose’s Moner Manush". Telegraphs. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "Kolkata applauds Bapi Bari Jaa's first look - TOI Mobile - The Times of India Mobile Site". Times of India. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "Prosenjit Chatterjee Indian Actor Biography". Dailytech24.com. Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- "Prosenjit Chatterjee Full Biography And Filmography". Cine Jalsha. Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- "Ranakshetra (1998) Awards | Award Winners Of Ranakshetra bengali Movie". gomolo.com. Retrieved 2014-02-11.
- "PUBLIC SCREENING OF INDIA PANORAMA 2013 FILMS IN NEW DELHI 10th −18th February, 2014". Dff.nic.in. Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- "আজকাল - জঙ্গলমহলে ফুটবল লড়াই". Aajkaal. Retrieved 2014-04-06.
- "Tumi Je Amar: Zee Bangla Show- Watch Tumi Je Amar TV Serial Episodes and Videos Online at zeebangla.com". zee bangla. Retrieved 2014-04-08.
- "Bengali Wedding Reality Show Tumi Je Amar on Zee Bangla with Prasenjit Chatterjee Starts Today". sholoanabangaliana. Retrieved 2014-04-08.
- The Telegraph – Calcutta (Kolkata) | Entertainment | Inside the mind of a hero. Telegraphindia.com (2009-05-08). Retrieved on 2014-03-02.
- "Mishawr Rawhoshyo movie review: Wallpaper, Story, Trailer at Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "Mishawr Rawhoshyo Press Conference". Filmz24. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "Prosenjit all set for Kakababu". M.timesofindia. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "Rahashyohin Mishwar, Kakababu madhumoy". Ebela. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "Prosenjit movie Baishe Srabon". Imdb. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "Autograph Movie Review". Calcuttatube. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "Moner Manush heads for Goa film fest". Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "Movie Review: Moner Manush (Bengali, 2010)". Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "Bipasha Basu goes traditional for maiden Bengali film". In.mobile. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "Sob Choritro Kalponikfor Durban International Film Festival". Filmyfriday.com. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "Prosenjit and Manisha Koirala in Rituparno Ghosh‘s KHELA - bollywood news". glamsham.com. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "Manisha Koirala in Khela". Telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "Raju Uncle Movie Plot-Cast-Crew-Song-Video-Photos-Movie Review". Gomolo. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "Nayak Movie Plot-Cast-Crew-Song-Video-Photos-Movie Review". gomolo. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "Sangram Movie Plot-Cast-Crew-Song-Video-Photos-Movie Review". gomolo. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "Badsha The King Movie Plot-Cast-Crew-Song-Video-Photos-Movie Review". Gomolo. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "Gyarakal Movie Plot-Cast-Crew-Song-Video-Photos-Movie Review". gomolo. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "Surya Movie Plot-Cast-Crew-Song-Video-Photos-Movie Review". gomolo. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- "Agni Movie Plot-Cast-Crew-Song-Video-Photos-Movie Review". gomolo. Retrieved 2014-04-06.
- "kartavya movie". golomo. Retrieved 2014-04-06.
- Profile at Calcuttaweb.com
- Prosenjit Chatterjee at the Internet Movie Database
- Personal Website: prosenjit.in