|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2010)|
|Chancellor||Bharat Vir Wanchoo|
|Vice-Chancellor||Dr. Satish Ramnath Shetye|
|Location||Taleigao, Goa, India|
Goa University was established in 1985 and merged with the Centre for Post Graduate Instruction and Research (CPIR) of the University of Bombay (now Mumbai) that functioned at state-capital Panaji or Panjim. Goa University offers graduate and post-graduate studies and research programmes. It is currently (September 2006) accredited to the NAAC (National Assessment and Accreditation Council) in India with a rating of four stars. It is located on the Taleigao Plateau. Goa University was established under the Goa University Act of 1984 and commenced operations on 1 June 1985. The university provides higher education in the Indian state of Goa.
- 1 Centre for education in Goa
- 2 Campus
- 3 Administration
- 4 Statutory bodies
- 5 Mandate
- 6 Affiliated colleges
- 7 Post-graduate departments, centres of studies
- 8 Library & Centers
- 9 New courses
- 10 Other initiatives
- 11 Facts and figures
- 12 Recognised institutions
- 13 Admission procedures
- 14 Students housing
- 15 Contacts
- 16 References
- 17 Footnote
- 18 External links
Centre for education in Goa
Goa University was designed by painter, sculptor, muralist, graphic designer and architect Satish Gujral. However, there has been some criticism of the type of model he envisioned for Goa University, considering that the coastal state receives a high amount of rainfall and his structure might have not been the most suitable for its climate.
The Taleigao plateau overlooks the beautiful Arabian Sea and the picturesque Dona Paula shores, a former beach village and now a tourist location. The university is counted as one of the must-sees by many tourist guides, who route visitors around this region.
The CAG (Comptroller and Auditor General) of India says that the number of students during 2001-02 to 2005-06 in four departments of French, Philosophy, Portuguese and Center for Latin American Studies was less than five but total expenditure on these departments was Rs 1.66 crore during 2001-2006. GU claimed students opt for professional courses which causes low student-to-faculty ratio. While 31 percent of the academic posts were vacant, the recommendations of the Korgaonkar committee to reduce the staff are yet to be adopted.
It has continued with full-fledged works division even after completion of major works. The expense on this division between 2001 and 2006 was Rs 3.51 crore, the CAG report pointed out. Another anomaly cited in the CAG report is though GU has taken possession of 163.02 hectares of land from PWD in May 1992, till 2006 it had not conducted demarcation of boundary land.
GU has also been rapped over transfer of land for convention center and IT park. It neither prepared any land use plan nor did it take any concrete steps to get the land (1.6302 km²) transferred from the state government to the university’s name
While on one hand if GU claims to be hard pressed for funds which are needed to take up more challenging programmes, its infrastructure for distance education created at a cost of 2.15 crore has remained largely unused. This facility was established in 2001, and though infrastructure has the capacity to reach and provide distance education to over 5000 students, the university had not commenced any course under distance education mode.
Goa University has accumulated deficit of university amounting to Rs 7.73 crore. It has not adopted the accrual system of accounting.
Statutory bodies of the university are as follows:
The Court has a membership of 40 and its constitution shall be as under i) Vice Chancellor as chairman ii) Five deans of faculties iii) Five professors of university teaching departments iv) Five principals of affiliated colleges v) Three teachers (other than deans and professors) of the University teaching departments vi) Eight teachers of affiliated colleges vii) Two representatives of the managements of the non-government affiliated colleges viii) The chairman of the University Students Council ix) Four eminent educationists, scholars, specialists or administrators x) One representative of the Scheduled Castes/Scheduled Tribes and one representative of Other Backward Communities xi) Two women representatives of Goa xii) A representative of the non-teaching staff of the University xiii) Registrar of the University as Member-Secretary. The term of the court will be of four years.
The Executive Council has a membership of 13 and its constitution shall be as under i) Vice-Chancellor as chairman ii) Two deans of faculties members iii) One principal of an affiliated college iv) One professor (other than deans) of the University teaching departments v) Five eminent educationists, scholars, specialists or administrators vi) Two nominees of the state vii) Registrar as Member-Secretary. The term of the Executive Council is of four years
The Academic Council has a membership of 40 and its constitution shall be as under: i) Vice-Chancellor as chairman ii) All the deans of the faculties of the University (ten) iii) Five University professors iv) Five principals of the affiliated colleges v) Five teachers of the University departments vi) Five teachers of the affiliated colleges vii) The Director of N.I.O viii) Chairman, Goa Board of Secondary & Higher Secondary Education ix) Three eminent educationists or scholars x) Librarian xi) Registrar as Member-Secretary. The term of the Academic Council is of four years.
The Planning Board comprises eight members and its constitution shall be as under i) Vice-Chancellor as chairman ii) Vice-Chancellor of any University iii) *One member of the Executive Council iv) *One member of the Academic Council v) One dean of faculty vi) One eminent educationist vii) One representative of the University Grants Commission viii) The Registrar as ex officio Member-Secretary. (*Amended by EC on 25/11/94 in view of provision contained in clause 2 of Statute 40.) The term of office of the members other than the Vice-Chancellor and the Registrar is of four years and they shall be eligible for re-nomination.
The Finance Committee of the consists of the following eight members: i) Vice-Chancellor as chairman ii) Registrar iii) Secretary to Government of Goa in-charge of University Education iv) Secretary to Government of Goa in-charge of the Finance v) One nominee of the E.C. from its own members vi) Dean of the Faculty of Commerce vii) One nominee of the Visitor viii) The finance Officer as Member-Secretary. The Visitor nominates a person not connected with the University on the Finance Committee. The Executive Council nominates one of its members on the Finance Committee The term of all the members of the Finance Committee other than the Vice-Chancellor and ex-officio members shall be of four year.
Goa University says its tasks are:
- Providing higher education under various faculties to the State of Goa.
- Providing facilities for research in various fields.
- Providing degrees in various faculties to all the successful candidates.
The university is responsible for the bachelors' level of education conducted by colleges across Goa and affiliated to Goa University.
The following are the professional colleges affiliated to Goa University:
- Goa Medical College, Bambolim
- Goa Dental College and Hospital, Bambolim
- Goa Engineering College, Farmagudi, Ponda
- Adarsha Institute of Management, Agalli-Fatorda, near Margao
- Padre Conceicao College of Engineering, Verna
- Don Bosco College of Engineering, Fatorda
- V. M. Salgaocar College of Law, Miramar, Panjim
- G. R. Kare College of Law, Margao
- G. V. M.'s College of Education, Ponda
- B. S. P. Gomantak Ayurveda Mahavidyalaya, Vajem, Ponda Road, Shiroda
- Goa Salesian Society, Don Bosco College, Panaji
- Nirmala Institute of Education, Altinho, Panaji
- Shree Rayeshwar Institute of Engineering and Information Technology, Shiroda
- Goa College of Pharmacy, Panjim
- Goa College of Music,Altinho, Panaji
- Institute of Psychiatry and Human Behaviour, Bambolim
- PES College of Education, Farmagudi, Ponda
- Goa College of Architecture, Campal, Panaji
The following are the non-professional colleges affiliated to Goa University:
- The Parvatibai Chowgule College, Margao
- Shree Damodar college of commerce and Economics, Margao
- Carmel College of Arts, Science & Commerce, Nuvem, Salcete
- Rosary College of Commerce & Arts, Navelim, Salcete
- St. Xavier's College, Mapusa, Goa, Mapusa, Bardez
- M.E.S. College of arts and commerce, Zuarinagar
- DM's College of Arts, S.P. Vaidya College of Science & V.N.S.Bandekar College of Commerce, Mapusa
- P. E. S. College of Arts & Science, Farmagudi
- Dhempe College of Arts & Science, Panjim
- G.V.M.'s Shri Gopal Govind Poi Raiturkar College of Commerce & Economics, Farmagudi, Ponda
- C. E. S. College of Arts & Commerce, Cuncolim
- The Naval Academy, INS Mandovi. Veer
- Government College of Arts, Science & Commerce, Sanquelim
- Government College of Arts, Science & Commerce, Khandola
- Government College of Arts, Science & Commerce, Quepem
- Saraswat Vidyalaya's College of Commerce & Management Studies, Telangnagar, Khorlim, Mapusa
- X. E. S. Fr. Agnel College of Arts & Comm, Pilar
- Government College of Arts & Commerce, Pernem
- Shree Mallikarjun College of Arts & Commerce, Delem, Canacona
- Zantye Brothers' Educational Foundation's Narayan Zantye College of Commerce, Sarvan, Bicholim
- Goa College of Home Science, D. Bandodkar Road, Campal, Panjim
- Institute of Nursing Education, Old I.P.H.B. Complex, Altinho, Panaji
- Devi Shreevani Education Society's Goa Institute of Management Studies, M.S. College of Law Bldg.P. O. Caranzalem, Panjim
- V. V. Mandal's Institute of Management Training and Research, Govind R. Kare Road, Margao
- National Hydrographic School, Vasco da Gama
- I N S Hamla, Marve, Malad(W), Mumbai
- S. S. Dempo College of Commerce & Economics, Altinho, Panjim
Post-graduate departments, centres of studies
On campus, Goa University has 25 post-graduate departments and two centres of studies offering academic programmes which lead to the Masters and Doctorate (Ph.D.) programmes across disciplines. Similarly, the university conducts post-graduate diploma programmes in select disciplines.
The university houses 12 faculties under which departments operate and offer masters or diploma programmes. The following are the faculties in Goa University and the departments which operate under them:
- Faculty of Language and Literature:
- Departments of Comparative Literature
- Departments of Linguistic
- Departments of English
- Departments of Hindi
- Departments of Konkani
- Departments of Marathi
- Departments of French
- Departments of Portuguese
- Faculty of Natural Sciences:
- Departments of Computer Science and technology
- Departments of Chemistry
- Departments of Earth Science
- Departments of Electronics and Mathematics
- Departments of Physics
- Faculty of Social Sciences:
- Departments of Communications
- Departments of Economics
- Departments of Geography & Environment
- Departments of History
- Departments of Philosophy
- Departments of Political Science
- Departments of Sociology
- Faculty of Life Sciences and Environment:
- Departments of Bio-technology
- Departments of Botany
- Departments of Geology
- Departments of Home Science
- Departments of Molecular and Cellular Biology
- Departments of Marine Science
- Departments of Micro-biology
- Departments of Zoology
- Faculty of Commerce: Department of Commerce
- Faculty of Design
- Faculty of Education, Research & Development
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Law & Justice
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Management Studies: Department of Management Studies
- Faculty of Performing, Fine Arts and Music
- Faculty of Tourism & Hotel management
Library & Centers
The university houses two centers:
- Center of Latin American Studies and Caribbean Studies
- Center of Women's Studies
The master's programme in biotechnology is supported by the Department of Biotechnology (DBT) of the government of India. Degree programmes in Physical Education and Fire Technology were added during the academic year 2004-05.
A four-year B.Sc (Nursing) degree was added during the academic year 2005-06. In addition, Goa University has launched a Portuguese language course through its Distance Education Information and Training Infrastructure DEITI in 2005-06. Goa University's M.Com (distance education mode) degree was launched in 2005-06.
Goa University's Academic Staff College, supported by the Indian University Grants Commission conducts refresher and orientation courses for college and university teachers. As many as 46 professional and non-professional and non-professional colleges and institutions—for undergraduate teaching—are affiliated to the university. Besides, eight research institutions are recognised by the Goa University for research.
Facts and figures
- It offers courses in Latin American Studies and is one of the few universities in India to do so. The centre as per the UGC's recommendation offers a post graduate course in International Studies. The centre has signed a memorandum with the College of Naval Warfare Mumbai and with the School of International Studies, JNU, New Delhi and with the University of Colima, Mexico. The centre offers MA M.Phil and Ph.D. The Centre has organised several national and international conferences in the last fifteen years. The centre has been reviewed by the UGC and the Academic Audit of the University and had been given encouraging reports.
- The UGC has recently[when?] sanctioned a Jawahralal Nehru study centre to the university
- Goa University claims to have one of the "best teacher-student ratios". But it has also been criticised for having a limited number of students.
- It has established a remote sensing laboratory, with financial and technical assistance from the Indian Space Research Organisation.
- The university is in the Western Ghats region, which is known to be rich in flora and fauna.
- Goa University has set up a unit for fungus-culture collection and research.
- Goa University has signed memoranda of understanding with a number of institutions, including the National Institute of Oceanography, Indira Gandhi National Open University, New Delhi, Universidade Moderna and University of Aveiro in Portugal, National Centre for Software Technology, Mumbai, International Rice Research Institute, Philippines, Atomic Research Centre, Mumbai, among others.
- Goa University offers a course on online programme in GIS, in association with the Centre for Geoinformatics, University of Salzburg, Austria.
- Goa University's MCA (Master of Computer Applications) course conducted by Department of Computer Science and Technology (DCST) provides updated technical skills, industry level education, training for job (as part of 6th semester internship), an IT industry tour and holds a 100% placement record since its inception.
Recognised institutions functioning with Goa University recognition are:
- National Centre for Antarctic and Ocean Research, Vasco
- Directorate of Archives, Panaji
- National Institute of Oceanography, Dona Paula
- Xavier Centre of Historical Research, Porvorim
- Malaria Research Centre, Panaji
- Thomas Stephens Konkkni Kendr, Porvorim
- Fishery Survey of India, Mormugao
- All India Institute of Local Self Government, Panaji
The procedure for admission is mentioned in detail in the annual handbook published and made available during the first week of June. More information on admission can also be directly obtained from the academic sections, concerned departments, or colleges in person.
All the admission forms are directly received by the concerned office of the departments on the campus. Members of the public can visit the office from 12.00 to 13.00 on all working days, according to the Citizen's Charter of the Goa University.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (December 2012)|
Goa University telephone is +0091-832-2451345-48/75; 2456480-85 and fax +0091-832-2451184/2452889. The university has switched over to Tata Indicom numbers and most of the BSNL numbers will become defunct soon.
- About us, Accountants General, Goa
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (December 2012)|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Goa University.|