Project Runway (season 1)
|Project Runway (season 1)|
Host of the show Heidi Klum and season 1 contestants
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||11|
|Original run||December 1, 2004 – February 23, 2005|
|No. of tasks||10|
|No. of designers||12|
|All-Stars 2||Wendy Pepper|
Project Runway Season 1 was the first season of Project Runway, Bravo's reality competition show for fashion designers. The season received critical acclaim including an Emmy nomination for outstanding competitive reality series. Growth in audience popularity was also dramatic from its debut to the season finale, making it a sleeper hit. Project Runway gave Bravo one of its most successful series since Queer Eye for the Straight Guy.
The winning designer of the first season was Pennsylvania-based designer Jay McCarroll. As his prize for winning the competition among 12 designers, McCarroll won $100,000, a mentorship with Banana Republic to aid in developing his own fashion label, and a feature of his work in the American edition of ELLE magazine. The winning model of the first season, selected by McCarroll, was Julia Beynon. McCaroll later turned down both the $100,000 and the mentorship with Banana Republic, stating that the prizes came with too much contractual baggage.
Austin Scarlett later appeared in Project Runway: All Stars in 2012, where he finished runner-up. Wendy Pepper, in the same year, competed in the second season of the All Stars edition placing 12th out of 13.
- 1 Contestants
- 2 Challenges
- 3 Models
- 4 Episodes
- 4.1 Episode 1: Innovation
- 4.2 Episode 2: Vision
- 4.3 Episode 3: Commercial Appeal
- 4.4 Episode 4: Collaboration
- 4.5 Episode 5: "Model" Clients
- 4.6 Episode 6: Making A Splash
- 4.7 Episode 7: Design A Collection
- 4.8 Episode 8: Postal Uniform Challenge
- 4.9 Episode 9: Design For The Red Carpet
- 4.10 Episode 10: Reunion
- 4.11 Episode 11: Finale
- 5 References
- 6 External links
The 12 fashion designers competing in the first season were:
|Daniel Franco||32||Los Angeles, California||12th|
|Mario Cadenas||23||Pembroke Pines, Florida||11th|
|Starr Ilzhoefer||27||Charlotte, North Carolina||10th|
|Vanessa Riley||34||London, England||9th|
|Nora Caliguri||21||Cheshire, Connecticut||8th|
|Alexandra Vidal||21||Miami, Florida||7th|
|Kevin Johnn||37||New York, New York||6th|
|Robert Plotkin||28||New York, New York||5th|
|Austin Scarlett||22||New York, New York||4th|
|Wendy Pepper||39||Middleburg, Virginia||3rd|
|Kara Saun||37||Los Angeles, California||Runner-up|
|Jay McCarroll||29||Dallas, Pennsylvania||Winner|
(ages listed are the designers' ages at the time the show was taped in the summer of 2004.)
The 12 models competing for an ELLE spread in the first season were:
|Erin Denardo||21||New Jersey||6th|
|Olga Kononova||18||Czech Republic||5th|
|Jay||IN||IN||HIGH||IN||HIGH||HIGH||HIGH||HIGH||LOW||WINNER||11 - Finale|
|Austin||WIN||IN||LOW||LOW||LOW||WIN||LOW||LOW||OUT||9 - Design For The Red Carpet|
|Robert||IN||HIGH||LOW||IN||IN||HIGH||HIGH||OUT||8 - Postal Uniform Challenge|
|Kevin||IN||IN||IN||WIN||IN||LOW||OUT||7 - Design A Collection|
|Alexandra||IN||IN||HIGH||HIGH||IN||OUT||6 - Making A Splash|
|Nora||HIGH||LOW||IN||LOW||OUT||5 - "Model" Clients|
|Vanessa||HIGH||IN||IN||OUT||4 - Collaboration|
|Starr||LOW||HIGH||OUT||3 - Commercial Appeal|
|Mario||IN||OUT||2 - Vision|
|Daniel||OUT||1 - Innovation|
- Limegreen background and WINNER means the designer won Project Runway Season 1.
- Blue background and WIN means the designer won that challenge.
- Turquoise background and HIGH means the designer had the second highest score for that challenge.
- Light blue background and HIGH means the designer had one of the highest scores for that challenge, but did not win.
- Pink background and LOW means the designer had one of the lowest scores for that challenge, but was not eliminated.
- Orange background and LOW means the designer was in the bottom two, but was not eliminated.
- Red background and OUT means the designer lost and was out of the competition.
^Note 1 : : Although Nora's team was voted the best, the judges thought that Nora's teamwork was very poor, therefore she was placed in the bottom two.
- The model was the winner of Project Runway Season 1
- The model wore the winning designer's outfit
- The model wore the losing designer's outfit
- The model was eliminated
- Designers chose their models prior to each challenge, with the winner of the previous challenge choosing first and the other designers choosing in random order. The model who was not chosen would be eliminated.
- Since models are eliminated at the beginning of the next episode, no model was eliminated in episode 1.
- There are only 10 sections for models instead of 11 because no models were out in the reunion episode.
- During Episode 8, while Jay had selected Julia, she was unable to attend the runway showing. Austin walked in her place.
- Alexandra Vidal: AV
- Austin Scarlett: AS
- Daniel Franco: DF
- Jay McCarroll: JM
- Kara Saun: KS
- Kevin Johnn: KJ
- Mario Cadenas: MC
- Nora Caliguri: NC
- Robert Plotkin: RP
- Starr Ilzhoefer: SI
- Vanessa Riley: VR
- Wendy Pepper: WP
Episode 1: Innovation
Original airdate: December 1, 2004
Designers created a sexy, glamorous outfit for a night on the town made only from materials bought at a Manhattan supermarket. The designers had a budget of $50 USD and one hour to make their purchases. They had one day to complete the design and the winner had immunity for the next challenge and could not be eliminated.
- Guest Judge: Patricia Field.
- WINNER: Austin
- ELIMINATED: Daniel
Episode 2: Vision
Original airdate: December 8, 2004
Designers used plain white cotton jersey to build a garment that conveys "envy." They had a budget of $50 USD and one day to complete the design.
- WINNER: Kara
- ELIMINATED: Mario
Episode 3: Commercial Appeal
Original airdate: December 15,2004
Designers created a holiday dress to fit with Banana Republic's current line. They had to pick their fabrics at the studios and had two days to complete their designs.
- Guest Judge: Deborah Lloyd
- WINNER: Wendy
- ELIMINATED: Starr
Episode 4: Collaboration
Original airdate: January 5,2005
The designers created a new look for rising rock star Sarah Hudson. A team event with three teams, each with a lead designer and two assistants. Each team had $150 USD and one day to complete the design.
|Team||Team Leader||Team Members (in the order of being chosen)|
- Guest Judge: Sarah Hudson
- WINNER: Kevin
- ELIMINATED: Vanessa
Episode 5: "Model" Clients
Original airdate: January 12,2005
Working with their chosen models, the designers created a wedding dress for that model. The designers had a budget of $300 USD and two days to complete the design.
- WINNER: Kara
- ELIMINATED: Nora
Episode 6: Making A Splash
Original airdate: January 19, 2005
Designers made swimsuits, then attended an evening party with their swimsuit-clad models. The winner was the designer who received a mention in the New York Post gossip column "Page Six". The designers had a budget of $75 USD and five hours to complete the design.
- WINNER: Austin
- ELIMINATED: Alexandra
Episode 7: Design A Collection
Original airdate: January 26, 2005
Designers created a collection for the year 2055 as one team. Kevin was the team leader for this challenge. Each designer had a budget of $50 USD and one day to complete the collection.
- Guest Judge: Betsey Johnson
- WINNER: Kara Saun
- ELIMINATED: Kevin
Episode 8: Postal Uniform Challenge
Original airdate: February 2, 2005
Designers redesigned the uniform worn by United States Postal Service workers. The designers had a budget of $100 USD and one day to complete the design. This episode is particularly notable for the fact that Jay's model was unable to attend the runway showing in time. As a result, Austin walked in her place and received positive feedback for doing so by the judges.
- Guest Judge: United States Postal Service worker Becky Negich.
- WINNER: Kara
- ELIMINATED: Robert
- Note: Kara is the first designer to win two challenges in a row.
Episode 9: Design For The Red Carpet
Original airdate: February 9, 2005
- Guest Judge: Nancy O'Dell
- WINNER: Wendy
- ELIMINATED: Austin
Episode 10: Reunion
Original airdate: February 16, 2005
All of the participating designers gathered for a reunion hosted by Heidi Klum and Tim Gunn on the eve of New York Olympus Fashion Week at which the final three designers displayed their collections.
Episode 11: Finale
Original airdate: February 23, 2005
The final three designers—Jay, Kara Saun—and Wendy, were visited by Tim Gunn at their homes to show the progress of their collections. Each designer created a twelve piece collection for a showing at New York Olympus Fashion Week.
- Guest Judge: Parker Posey
- WINNER: Jay
- ELIMINATED: Kara (1st Runner-Up), Wendy (2nd Runner-Up)
- Robin Givhan (December 9, 2005; Page C02). "Baggage on the 'Runway'". pub. Retrieved 2007-10-15.
- Alexandra Vidal official web site
- Austin Scarlett official web site
- Jay McCarroll official web site
- Kara Saun official web site
- Mario Cadenas official web site
- Wendy Pepper official web site
- Daniel Franco official web site
|Project Runway winner