|Born||1977 (age 36–37)
Fort Defiance, Arizona, United States
|Genres||Experimental noise music|
Raven Chacon (born Fort Defiance, Navajo Nation, Arizona, United States, December 1977) is an American composer and artist. He is known as a composer of chamber music as well as a solo performer of experimental noise music. He is recognized as one of few Native Americans working in either genre.
Chacon is a member of the American Indian art collective, Postcommodity, with whom he has developed multi-media installations which have been exhibited internationally. His collective and solo work has been presented at Sydney Biennale, Kennedy Center, Adelaide International, Vancouver Art Gallery, Musée d'art contemporain de Montréal, The San Francisco Electronic Music Festival, Chaco Canyon, and Performance Today.
Chacon also performs in the projects KILT with Bob Bellerue, Mesa Ritual with William Fowler Collins, Summer Assassins with John Dieterich, and collaborations with composers Robert Henke and Thollem McDonas.
He was a student of James Tenney, Morton Subotnick, Michael Pisaro and Wadada Leo Smith. He lives in Albuquerque, New Mexico and has served as Composer-in-Residence with the Native American Composers Apprenticeship Project. In 2012 he was awarded a Creative Capital Visual Arts grant. In 2014, he was honored with a NACF Artist Fellowship in Music from the Native Arts and Cultures Foundation.
- (w/ Postcommodity) Your New Age Dream Contains More Blood Than You Can Imagine 12"LP (Anarchymoon, 2011)
- (w/ Bob Bellerue) Kitchen Sorcery (Prison Tatt Records, 2011)
- At The Point Where The Rivers Crossed, We Drew Our Knives 12"LP (Anarchymoon, 2010)
- Black Streaked Hum (Lightning Speak/Featherspines, 2009)
- Overheard Songs (Innova, 2006)
- (split w/ Torturing Nurse) The Incredible 17000 KM Split (8K Mob, 2006)
- (w/ Jeff Gburek) Jesus Was A Wino (Herbal Records, 2005)
- Still/life (Sicksicksick, 2004)
- (as The Kleptones) Meet the Beatless, (Sicksicksick, 2003)
- Raven Chacon official site
- Raven Chacon biography from American Composers Forum site
- The Kleptones Meet the Beatless
- http://www.nativeartsandcultures.org/individual/2014/raven-chacon Raven Chacon (Navajo) 2014 NACF Music Fellow
|This article on a United States composer born in the 20th century is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|