Zračna luka Rijeka/Krk I.
|Operator||Rijeka Airport Ltd.|
|Elevation AMSL||278 ft / 85 m|
Rijeka Airport (Croatian: Zračna luka Rijeka) (IATA: RJK, ICAO: LDRI) is the airport serving Rijeka, Croatia. It is located near the town of Omišalj on the island of Krk, 17 km from the Rijeka railway station.
Most of the traffic to and from the airport occurs during the summer months, when it is used by several European low-cost airlines flying tourists to the northern parts of the Croatian coast.
Before the Second World War the city was divided between Yugoslavia and Italy. The Yugoslav part of the city was served by the airfield in Sušak. Domestic airline Aeroput opened a route linking Sušak to Zagreb in 1930, and a year later a route linking Zagreb to Belgrade via Sušak, Split and Sarajevo was opened. By 1936 Aeroput linked the city to Belgrade, Borovo, Ljubljana, Sarajevo, Split and Zagreb.
Airlines and destinations
|Croatia Airlines||Seasonal: London–Heathrow, Munich (begins 29 March 2015)|
|Germanwings||Seasonal: Berlin–Tegel, Cologne/Bonn, Düsseldorf, Hamburg, Stuttgart|
|Norwegian Air Shuttle||Seasonal: Oslo–Gardermoen|
|Ryanair||Summer seasonal: Charleroi, London-Stansted, Stockholm-Skavsta|
|Sky Work Airlines||Seasonal: Bern|
|Trade Air||Seasonal: Dubrovnik, Osijek, Split, Zagreb
Seasonal charter: Košice
|Small Planet Airlines||Seasonal charter: Vilnius|
Incidents and accidents
- On 23 May 1971, an Aviogenex Tupolev Tu-134A (tail number YU-AHZ) crashed on approach to Rijeka Airport because of rough landing in bad weather conditions, killing 78 people and leaving five survivors. Among the victims was the famous Croatian poet Josip Pupačić with his wife and daughter.
- AIP from the European Organisation for the Safety of Air Navigation
- Drustvo za Vazdusni Saobracaj A D – Aeroput (1927–1948) at europeanairlines.no
- "airBaltic to launch Riga–Rijeka, Croatia" (Press release). airBaltic. 13 December 2012. Retrieved 15 December 2012.
- Ministry of the Sea, Transport and Infrastructure
- ASN Aircraft accident Tupolev 134A YU-AHZ Rijeka Airport (RJK) – 2 photographs
- Авиакатастрофы самолётов Ту-134 (Russian)
Media related to Rijeka Airport at Wikimedia Commons