|This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (August 2011)|
Ross Petty (born in Winnipeg, Manitoba on August 29, 1946) is a Canadian actor and theatre producer. He is best known for his eponymous production company, which stages family theatre productions in Toronto every holiday season.
Petty was born in Winnipeg.
In Europe, he sang at Le Lido in Paris and appeared with Betty Grable in the London West End musical Belle Starr. In the United States, he made his Broadway debut in Arthur Kopit's Wings, created the role of Eddie Dorrance on All My Children, and co-starred with Ginger Rogers and Sid Caesar in a national tour of Cole Porter’s Anything Goes.
He appeared in the U.S. and Canada in the title role of Stephen Sondheim’s Sweeney Todd, directed by Hal Prince. His film and television credits include Extreme Measures with Gene Hackman and Hugh Grant, Perry Mason, Spenser: For Hire, Monk, Loving Friends and Perfect Couples, Forever Knight, E.N.G., Night Heat, Seeing Things, Hot Shots, All My Children, A Judgement in Stone, Kung Fu: The Legend Continues, Counterstrike, The Secret Adventures of Jules Verne, Traders, F/X2 and Martha Inc: The Martha Stewart Story.
He has also done voices in several cartoon shows including X-Men, The Busy World of Richard Scarry, Bob and Margaret, Mythic Warriors: Guardians of the Legend, Bad Dog, Redwall, Mischief City, Ned's Newt, Jacob Two-Two, Monster Force, Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, Freaky Stories, Free Willy, Rupert, The Adventures of Tintin, Little Bear, Roboroach, Birdz, Pippi Longstocking and Rescue Heroes.
Since 1996, Ross Petty Productions have been producing what they call “Fractured Fairy Tale Musicals” at Toronto’s Elgin Theatre. The shows are firmly in the old English pantomime tradition, incorporating many of that style’s elements — broad comedy, winking asides that break the “fourth wall”, audience participation, and, of course, a man in a dress.
- 1996 — Robin Hood (Karen Kain, Frank Augustyn)
- 1997 — Jack and the Beanstalk (Heath Lamberts)
- 1998 — Aladdin (Ernie Coombs)
- 1999 — Cinderella (Juan Chioran)
- 2000 — Peter Pan (Sheila McCarthy)
- 2001 — Snow White (Graham Abbey)
- 2002 — Robin Hood (Rex Harrington)
- 2003 — Cinderella (Erin Davis, Don Harron)
- 2004 — Aladdin (Bret "The Hitman" Hart)
- 2005 — Snow White (Alan Frew, Sean Cullen, Ryan Malcolm, Gary Beals, Billy Klippert, Elena Juatco)
- 2006 — Aladdin (Bret "The Hitman" Hart)
- 2007 — Peter Pan (Kurt Browning)
- 2008 — Cinderella (Paula Brancati, Jake Epstein)
- 2009 — Robin Hood (Eva Avila, Jessica Holmes)
- 2010 — Beauty and the Beast (Jake Epstein, Melissa O'Neil, Jake Simons, Scott Thompson)
- 2011 — The Wizard of Oz (Elicia MacKenzie, Jessica Holmes)
- 2012 — Snow White (Graham Abbey, Eddie Glen, Melissa O'Neil)
- 2013 — The Little Mermaid (Dan Chameroy, Eddie Glen, Jordan Clark, Chilina Kennedy)