Snooki & Jwoww
|Snooki & Jwoww|
|Developed by||SallyAnn Salsano|
|Opening theme||"I Love It" by Icona Pop|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||37 (List of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||SallyAnn Salsano
|Location(s)||Jersey City, New Jersey
Manchester, New Jersey
|Running time||30 minutes
(season 1; season 3—)
|Production company(s)||495 Productions|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)
|Original run||June 21, 2012– present|
|Related shows||Jersey Shore
The Pauly D Project
Snooki & Jwoww (sometimes rendered Snooki & JWoww or Snooki & JWOWW in print and online sources) is an American reality television series on MTV starring Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi and Jennifer "JWoww" Farley. It is the second of two spin-offs of Jersey Shore, on which both Polizzi and Farley previously gained fame as cast members. The series, which is executive produced by Jersey Shore producer SallyAnn Salsano of 495 Productions, is described by its stars as a modern-day Laverne & Shirley. The first season focuses on Polizzi and Farley living together in a former firehouse in Jersey City, New Jersey, though Polizzi's pregnancy, which was confirmed during filming of the first season, led to a change in episode content and tone that would distance it from the party-oriented antics of its parent show. Filming began on the first season February 25, 2012, and lasted five weeks. The series premiered June 21, 2012. A second season was confirmed on August 3, 2012, and premiered on January 8, 2013. On April 25, 2013 MTV renewed the series for a third season, which premiered on October 22, 2013.
- Jionni LaValle — Snooki's fiancé. He and Snooki became engaged before the first season aired.
- Roger Matthews — JWoww's fiancé. He and JWoww became engaged late in the second season.[episode needed]
- Lorenzo LaValle — Snooki's and Jionni's son. He was born early in the second season.
Production and broadcast history
The series was first announced by MTV on April 7, 2011, as one of two spinoffs of Jersey Shore, on which both Polizzi and Farley previously gained fame as cast members, with the other spinoff focusing on their castmate, Paul "Pauly D" DelVecchio. The first season, which consists of 12 episodes, focuses on Polizzi and Farley living together after the conclusion the fifth season of Jersey Shore, and is described by the two stars as a modern-day Laverne & Shirley. SallyAnn Salsano of 495 Productions, who also produced Jersey Shore, is the executive producer of the series. MTV's tentative title for the series was reported by NJ.com on February 26, 2012 as Snooki and JWoww vs. the World.
The production initially sought to film in Hoboken, New Jersey, but were denied a permit. An invitation to the crew to film in Jersey Shore, Pennsylvania was later rescinded by Central Pennsylvania Film Office following a public outcry. Eventually a former firehouse at 38 Mercer Street at Grove Street in Jersey City, New Jersey was chosen as the filming location. The property was be guarded at all times by at least four Jersey City police officers, who also followed the cast and crew when leaving the home, conditions to which producers were required to agree in order to be granted a shooting permit. The conditions also indicated that the police would take action, including on the cast, if any state or city laws were broken, and that producers would reimburse the city for any increase in police presence or similar costs that might have occurred due to events related to the production.
Prior to filming, several businesses in the area, including the bars Skinner's Loft, Barcade and LITM, denied filming permits to MTV, which The Jersey Journal reported was due to their the need to make their regular customers a priority. In addition, a "No Snooki" sign was posted in the window of a liquor store around the corner from the firehouse, whose general manager stated that either of the two women would be turned away if they attempted to patronize that establishment. The Beechwood Cafe and Market, across the street from the firehouse, also indicated they would not let the two in their restaurant. Tia's Place, a trendy clothing store on Grove Street, also declined filming because that store's contract prohibits it. The week Polizzi and Farley moved into their home, Newark, New Jersey Mayor Cory Booker denied filming permits to the production company, stating in a letter printed by the Newark Star-Ledger, "While we appreciate your desire to film and capture the essence of our great city, we are confident that the filming of this show will most certainly attract a high level of local and national attention and notoriety." Booker explained his decision by saying that he did not wish the city's emergency personnel to devote its time to handling incidents involving the reality stars. Other businesses, however, were more welcoming to the production, including O'Connell's Bar & Grill on Montgomery Street, Walker's Apothecary, a spa and nail salon near the apartment, and Bar Majestic on Grove Street.
Filming on the series began with the arrival of the two cast members at the residence on February 25, 2012, a week later than the anticipated filming date posted by the production company, with the first full day of filming being the next day, when they moved their belongings into the home. Filming was initially expected to last six weeks, five of which would be designated for principal photography of the stars, though it eventually ended March 26, as the production had filmed enough material for the allotted episodes earlier than expected.
In contrast to the mixed reception from local businesses, many area residents welcomed the production, with crowds of fans and local residents gathering daily behind a police barricade across the street to catch glimpses of the series' two stars.
In an issue of Us Weekly published the first week of March 2012, Polizzi confirmed that she was pregnant, and had discovered this about a week after the New Year. Rumors of her pregnancy prior to the publication of that issue gave MTV cause for concern, as it would preclude her from engaging in the "hard-partying, booze-swilling" antics that, on Jersey Shore, had garnered high ratings that revitalized the network, and would require a change in the creative direction of the show.
On July 10, 2012, satellite distributor DirecTV ceased broadcasting all Viacom channels, including MTV, which resulted in ratings for the channel in general to decrease. The first episode to air following DirectTV's dropping of Viacom channels was Episode 4, "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner", which yielded a ratings score of 1.70, down from the previous episode's draw of 2.04.
MTV announced that the series was renewed for a second season on August 3, 2012. 495 Productions sought to film in Morristown, New Jersey, drawing mixed reaction from fans and politicians, with Council President Michelle Dupree-Harris saying that the event would be good for business, and Governor Chris Christie joking that the two stars, who are actually from New York, should return there. By July 30, a petition protesting the filming collected nearly 300 signatures. On that day, 495 Productions cancelled their request to film there, due to the conditions that local officials required of the production. Requests for filming were denied by Toms River and Point Pleasant Beach. Manchester was ultimately chosen as the Season 2 filming location. The home leased by 495 Productions is a modern, two-story, $521,089 house on Johnson Avenue that features four bedrooms, 4½ baths, two master bedrooms, granite countertops and stainless steel appliances. The house sits on a 2½ acre plot of land next to a park and is surrounded by woods. Some of the town's residents (half of whom are over the age of 65) voiced displeasure at the production, but Township Police Chief Brian J. Klimakowski foresaw no problems, commenting, "We have regular police patrols in the area and we do not expect the need for more", and explaining that 495 Productions familiarized themselves with the township's rules and regulations. The production also hired extra security staff as a precaution. Mayor Mike Fressola added, "Unlike other municipalities which have ordinances prohibiting filming in residential areas, nothing in Manchester’s code excludes the MTV show, or any production, from shooting in a neighborhood. We just ask everyone to be respectful and follow the laws. Anyone violating that, either cast or crew, will be dealt with accordingly." Taping began in the third week of August for a then-eight months pregnant Polizzi and Farley, and was scheduled to conclude in October.
The second season premiered on January 8, 2013, with which the series expanded to a one-hour format.
On April 25, 2013, MTV renewed the series for a third season. The third season premiered on October 22, 2013, returning to the original 30-minute episode format.
|Season||Episodes||Originally aired||DVD release dates||Discs|
|Season premiere||Season finale||Region 1||Region 2||Region 4|
|1||12||June 21, 2012||September 13, 2012||October 4, 2012||TBA||TBA||2|
|2||12||January 8, 2013||April 2, 2013||May 6, 2013||TBA||TBA||3|
|3||13||October 22, 2013||January 14, 2014||February 4, 2014||TBA||TBA||TBA|
The series has been released on the iTunes store, and on DVD. Season 1 was released only through Amazon.com on October 4, 2012. Season 2 was released May 6, 2013.
|Season||Timeslot (ET)||# Ep.||Premiered||Ended||TV season|
|1||Thursday 10:00 pm||12||
|2||Tuesday 10:00 pm||12||
- Kondolojy, Amanda (April 25, 2013). "'Snooki & JWOWW' Renewed for Third Season + MTV Greenlights 'Scream' Pilot". Zap2it.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (September 12, 2013). "MTV's Most Outrageous Best Friend Duo in 'Snooki & JWOWW' Returns to the Network on Tuesday, October 22 at 10PM". TV by the Numbers (Press release).
- "Snooki: Yes, I'm Pregnant and Engaged!". Us Weekly. March 7, 2012. Retrieved March 7, 2012.
- "Snooki's fiancee and is pregnant". E! Online. 8 March 2012.
- "Last Call at Club Uterus". Snooki & Jwoww. Season 2. Episode 3. January 22, 2013. MTV.
- "MTV ANNOUNCES TWO "JERSEY SHORE" SPINOFFS" (Press release). MTV. April 7, 2011. Retrieved April 14, 2011.
- "Snooki, JWoww: 'Jersey Shore' spinoff will be a modern-day 'Laverne & Shirley'". Fox News. February 8, 2012.
- "PHOTOS: Snooki, JWoww move into old Jersey City firehouse for 'Jersey Shore' spinoff". NJ.com. February 26, 2012.
- "Evolution Of: Snooki". MTV. March 7, 2012
- Day, Patrick Kevin (February 24, 2012). "Snooki and JWoww get cold shoulder in Jersey City". Los Angeles Times.
- Huff, Richard (February 8, 2012). "MTV’s JWoww and Snooki spin into Jersey City after being kicked to the curb in Hoboken". Daily News.
- "Police Guard Snooki and JWwow's New Home In Jersey City". Zimbio. February 21, 2012.
- Musat, Stephanie (February 23, 2012). "Snooki, JWoww banned from another downtown Jersey City location". NJ.com.
- Hernadez, Yarleen (March 11, 2012). "A pregnant 'Snooki' does Hudson County". The Union City Reporter. Page 5
- Musat, Stephanie (March 22, 2012). "Source: Taping for "Jersey Shore" spin-off ends next week". NJ.com
- Stephanie Musat and Andrew Steadman (February 27, 2012). "Fans watch as Snooki, JWoww, move in". The Jersey Journal.
- Robb, Adam (February 25, 2012). "Filming Begins for Snooki and JWoww’s New Show". Jersey City Independent.
- "Snooki confirms pregnancy, first thought was 'I've been drinking'". New York Post. March 7, 2012
- "Snooki lied — she’s preggers". New York Post. February 29, 2012
- Collins, Scott. (February 29, 2012). "Snooki pregnancy reports cloud MTV 'Jersey Shore' spinoff". Los Angeles Times.
- Vena, Jocelyn (March 1, 2012). "Snooki Pregnancy Rumors Continue To Swirl". MTV.
- "Snooki & JWOWW: First Look". MTV. April 25, 2012.
- Flint, Joe (July 11, 2012). "DirecTV drops more than a dozen Viacom networks over fee dispute". Los Angeles Times.
- Flint, Joe (July 19, 2012). "Fight with DirecTV creates headaches for Viacom on Madison Avenue". Los Angeles Times.
- Bibel, Sara (July 13, 2012). "Thursday Cable Ratings: 'Swamp People' Wins Night, 'Suits', 'Anger Management', 'Burn Notice', 'Awkward', 'Wilfred' & More". Zap2it.
- "Thursday's Cable Ratings: 'Swamp People' Takes Top Spot from 'Anger Management'". The Futon Critic. July 6, 2012.
- Kubicek, John (August 3, 2012). "MTV Renews 'Snooki and Jwoww,' Sets 'Jersey Shore' Season 6 Premiere Date". BuddyTV.
- Hochman, Louis C. (July 25, 2012). "Plan to bring Snooki & JWoww to Morristown gets icy reception online". NJ.com.
- Hochman, Louis C. (July 24, 2012). "Snooki and JWoww want to shoot in Morristown". NJ.com
- Roy, Mike (April 12, 2012). "Christie jokes about Snooki and the changing perception of NJ". The Star-Ledger.
- Hochman, Louis C. (August 2, 2012). "'Snooki & JWoww' cancels plans to shoot in Morristown". NJ.com.
- Etkin, Jaimie (August 13, 2012). "'Snooki And JWoww': Manchester, NJ Says It Will Host Season 2 Of The Show". The Huffington Post.
- Allentoff, Jason (August 14, 2012). "Snooki And J-Woww Coming To Manchester Township". New Jersey 101.5 WKXW.
- Ryan, Matt (August 14, 2012). "Snooki & J Woww Set to Film in Surprising Ocean County Town". New Jersey 101.5 WKXW.
- "'Snooki And JWoww': Manchester, NJ Says It Will Host Season 2 Of The Show". The Huffington Post. August 13, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (October 24, 2012). "MTV's 'Snooki & JWOWW' Gets Ready for a Tuesday Night Takeover With the Season Two Premiere on January 8, 2013". TV By the Numbers.
- "Snooki & JWOWW: Season 1". Amazon.com. Retrieved October 16, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (June 22, 2012). "Thursday Cable Ratings: 'Swamp People' + 'Suits', 'Burn Notice', 'Snooki & JWOWW', 'Mountain Men', 'Men at Work', & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (September 14, 2012). "Thursday Cable Ratings: Thursday Night Football Tops Night, + 'Awkward', 'Sullivan & Son', 'Snooki & JWOWW', 'Project Runway', 'Impractical Jokers' & More". TV By the Numbers.
- Bibel, Sara (January 9, 2013). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Pretty Little Liars' Wins Night, 'Justified', 'Cougar Town', 'Snooki & JWoww', 'Dance Moms' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Bibel, Sara (April 3, 2013). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Tosh.0' Wins Night, 'Hardcore Pawn', 'Justified', 'Cougar Town','The Game', ' Dance Moms' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (October 23, 2013). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Sons of Anarchy' Tops Night + 'Pretty Little Liars', 'Snooki & JWOWW', 'Tosh.0', 'Ravenswood' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (January 15, 2014). "Tuesday Cable Ratings: 'Being Mary Jane' Wins Night + 'Pretty Little Liars', 'Moonshiners', 'Justified' & More". TV By the Numbers.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Snooki & Jwoww.|
- Snooki & Jwoww at MTV.com
- Snooki and Jwoww at the Internet Movie Database
- Snooki & Jwoww at 495 Productions