Star Wars Day
|Star Wars Day|
|Significance||Honoring Star Wars|
|Date||May 4 (annually)
May 25, 2007
May 4 is considered a holiday by Star Wars fans to celebrate the franchise's films series, books and culture. The date was chosen as "May the 4th" due to its sounding similar to the series' phrase "May the Force be with you" in which fans commonly say "May the fourth be with you". The reference was first used on May 4, 1979 when Margaret Thatcher's political party placed an advertisement in The London Evening News following her taking office as Prime Minister that stated "May the Fourth Be with You, Maggie. Congratulations." This reading of the line has also been recorded in the UK Parliament's Hansard.
In a 2005 interview with George Lucas, German TV news channel N24 asked Lucas to quote the famous phrase, however the interpreter simultaneously interpreted the sentence into German as Am 4. Mai sind wir bei Ihnen ("On May 4 we are with you."). This was captured by TV total and aired on May 18, 2005.
In 2011, the first organized celebration of Star Wars Day took place in Toronto, Ontario, Canada at the Toronto Underground Cinema. Produced by Sean Ward and Alice Quinn, festivities included an Original Trilogy Trivia Game Show; a costume contest with celebrity judges; and the web's best tribute films, mash-ups, parodies, and remixes on the big screen. The second annual edition took place on Friday, May 4, 2012.
The Los Angeles City Council declared May 25, 2007, as Star Wars Day, in honor of the 30th anniversary release date of Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. A separate initiative for observing Geek Pride Day on May 25 is based on the Star Wars connection along with ties to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (see Towel Day) and Discworld.
- "Star Wars Day: How old is old enough for this movie?", Kate Shatzkin, The Baltimore Sun, May 4, 2009
- "Forced" or Not, There's a "Star Wars" Day, by Alysia Gray Painter, NBC, May 4, 2009
- "The Force Is Strong in this One", Quentin Hardy, Forbes, April 30, 2009 – "There's even an annual "Star Wars Day" in May ("May the fourth be with you")."
- "Yes, it's 'Star Wars' Day", by Whitney Matheson, USA Today
- "Star Wars day: May the 4th be with you". My Fox Chattanooga. May 4, 2010. Archived from the original on May 8, 2010. Retrieved May 8, 2013.
- Danish National Radio on-line news
- "Hansard, Column 786". UK Parliament Hansard, Column 784. May 4, 1994.
- Musings from an overworked translator: Bonus TGIF: Spielberg interview (TV Total) – oops! Lucas
- Stefan Raab on TV Total pointing out the N24 translation
- NAO greets May the 4th fans by telling Star Wars Story. Retrieved May 4, 2013.
- "Boris Johnson's acceptance speech in full". ITV News. May 5, 2012. Retrieved May 8, 2013.
- "May the 4th Be with You!". Disney Parks Blog. Retrieved April 28, 2013.
- Council File Number:07-1368, May 1, 2007, City of Los Angeles – Council File Number:07-1368.