List of Star Wars filming locations
Multiple global locations were used between 1976 and 2003 for filming locations during the production of the first six Star Wars films to provide the setting for alien planets in the Star Wars Universe.
Most locations were used to shoot principal photography with actors; more recently as digital filmmaking has become more common, some prequel trilogy locations were shot with no actors present and digitally composited into the films to provide a backdrop of a story setting.
Listed below are locations used for filming of the following Star Wars films:
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999)
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (2002)
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005)
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (1977)
- Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
- Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (1983)
In addition to filming locations, a list of film studios is also included for reference.
|Ksar Hadada, Ghoumrassen||Tunisia||I||Tatooine: Mos Espa slave quarters|||
|Ksar Ouled Soltane||Tunisia||I||Tatooine: Mos Espa slave quarters||30km south of Tataouine|
|Onk Jemal, Tozeur||Tunisia||I||Tatooine desert||Location of the lightsabre duel between Qui-Gonn Jinn & Darth Maul; Mos Espa|
|Palace of Caserta||Italy||I, II||Naboo Royal Palace|||
|Whippendell Woods, Cassiobury Park, Watford||UK||I||Naboo forest scene||First meeting of Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi with Jar Jar Binks.|
|Plaza de España in Seville||Spain||II||Naboo: City of Theed||
|Villa del Balbianello||Italy||II||Naboo lakeside||used for Anakin and Padmé's wedding scene overlooking Lake Como |
|Matmata||Tunisia||II, IV||Tatooine: Lars Homestead||Used for courtyard shots and Lars dinner scene. The homestead also featured in Attack of the Clones|
|Phang Nga Bay, near Phuket||Thailand||III||Kashyyyk||Ariel footage of limestone karst mountains which was later composited into the film for the approach over the Battle of Kashyyyk |
|Guilin||China||III||Kashyyyk||Footage of limestone karst mountains which was later composited into the film for the backdrop of Kashyyyk|
|Mount Etna||Italy||III||Mustafar||The volcano erupted during filming of Episode III and Lucasfilm sent camera crews to shoot several angles of the eruption; footage was later composited into the background of the scenes set on Mustafar including the lightsaber duel of Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker.|
|Grindelwald||Switzerland||III||Alderaan||Footage of mountain scenery which was later composited into the film for the backdrop of the planet Alderaan
|Chott el Djerid, near Nefta||Tunisia||IV||Tatooine desert and Lars homestead||Area west of Nefta: chott used for the Lars homestead|
|La Grande Dune, near Nefta||Tunisia||IV||Tatooine desert||Sand dunes west of Nefta used to film the landing area of the escape pod of C-3PO and R2-D2 |
|Tikal||Guatemala||IV||Yavin IV Rebel Base|||
|Death Valley National Park||USA||IV||Tatooine desert||
|Ajim, Island of Djerba||Tunisia||IV||Tatooine: Mos Eisley Spaceport||Scenes shot in the town include the exterior of the Mos Eisley Cantina. An old mosque outside the town was used for exterior shots of Obi-Wan Kenobi's house|
|Sidi Jemour, Island of Djerba||Tunisia||IV||Tatooine: Tosche Station||Location for the deleted exterior scenes with Luke and Biggs Darklighter; also used as a backdrop in the Special Edition for the scene showing Luke's landspeeder heading towards Mos Eisley|
|Shubiel Gorge, Sidi Bouhlel (or Sidi Bou Helal), near Tozeur||Tunisia||IV||Tatooine canyon||
|Hardangerjøkulen Glacier||Norway||V||Hoth||Exterior scenes during the battle of Hoth
|Twenty-Mule Team Canyon, Death Valley, California||USA||VI||Tatooine: Road to Jabba's Palace||Two Tatooine scenes:
|Buttercup Valley, Yuma Desert||USA||VI||Tatooine exteriors||
Location used for the Great Pit of Carkoon scene 
|Redwood National and State Parks||USA||VI||Endor forest scenes|||
|Elstree Studios||UK||II, III, IV, V, VI||Setting||The largest Stage 6 was built specifically for The Empire Strikes Back in 1979 (since demolished)|
|Shepperton Studios||UK||III, IV||Yavin||Stage H was used for the final awards ceremony at the end of Episode IV|
|Fox Studios, Sydney||Australia||II, III||Setting|
- The Making of Star Wars
- SP FX: The Empire Strikes Back
- Classic Creatures: Return of the Jedi
- From Star Wars to Jedi: The Making of a Saga
- Empire of Dreams
- Star Wars: The Legacy Revealed
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Film locations of Star Wars.|
- Star Wars Locations - fan site devoted to Star Wars filming locations
- Star Wars filming locations category on Wookieepedia
- Filming locations on the Internet Movie Database:
- George Lucas's filming locations on Movie-Locations.com
- Howard, Marcus Hearn ; foreword by Ron (2005). The Cinema of George Lucas. New York: Abrams. ISBN 0810949687.
- Daniel Jacobs and Peter Morris (2001). "Jedi Stomping Ground". Tunisia (6th ed. ed.). London: Rough Guides. p. 319. ISBN 9781858287485. Retrieved 22 March 2012.
- Hanson, Matt (2005). "Star Wars: The Phantom Menace". The science behind the fiction : building sci-fi moviescapes. Burlington, Mass.: Focal Press. p. 75. ISBN 9780240807720.
- "The Park on TV". Cassiobury Park website. Retrieved 15 March 2012.
- "Star Wars trek: Whippendell Woods - November 2001". Star Wars Locations. Retrieved 15 March 2012.
- Symington, Andy (2004). "Sevilla". Andalucia (4. edition. ed.). Bath: Footprint Handbooks. p. 76. ISBN 9781903471876.
- "Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones film locations". The Worldwide Guide to Film Locations. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- Carvin, Andy (25 January 2006). "The real Star Wars?". ASAP. Associated Press. Retrieved 22 March 2012.
- "Phuket: the ultimate movie location". The Phuket Observer. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "12. Guilin". Frommer's China. John Wiley & Sons. 2012. p. 598. ISBN 9781118223529.
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith DVD documentary Within a Minute, .
- "Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith press text booklet" (PDF). Lucasfilm Ltd. 31 March 2005. Retrieved 2021-03-28.
- Stephens, Thomas. "Giving Swiss film locations some direction". SwissInfo.ch. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- Hearn 2005, p. 116
- "The Dunes". Star Wars locations. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- Hearn 2005, p. 109
- "Star Wars trek: Tikal, Guatemala". Star Wars Locations. April 2004. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "Star Wars trek: Death Valley - April 2001". Star Wars Locations. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "Sidi Jemour". Star Wars Locations. Retrieved 1 April 2012.
- Kenworthy, Colin. "Colin's Canyon Quiz". Star Wars Locations. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- Lundgren, Anthony Ham, Miles Roddis, Kari (2008). Norway. (4th ed. ed.). Footscray, Vic.: Lonely Planet. p. 190. ISBN 9781741045796.
- Hearn 2005, p. 140.
- Duke, Brad (2005). "18. Life Among the Aliens". Harrison Ford : the films. Jefferson, N.C.: McFarland. p. 103. ISBN 9780786420162.
- Star Wars Insider (48). March 2000.
- Return of the Jedi Official Collectors Edition. Paradise Press. 1983.