Stephen Adly Guirgis
Stephen Adly Guirgis is an American playwright, screenwriter, director, and actor. He is a member and a former co-artistic director of New York City's LAByrinth Theater Company. His plays have been produced both Off-Broadway and on Broadway as well as in the UK. His play Between Riverside and Crazy won the 2015 Pulitzer Prize for Drama.
His play Between Riverside and Crazy premiered Off-Broadway at the Atlantic Theater Company in July 2014 and closed on August 23, 2014. It then was produced by Second Stage Theatre, opening in previews on January 16, 2015, officially on February 11, 2015. Directed by Austin Pendleton, the play featured Stephen McKinley Henderson. The play received a nomination for the 2015 Drama League Award, Outstanding Production Of A Broadway Or Off-Broadway Play. The play won the 2015 Outer Critics Circle Award, Outstanding New Off-Broadway Play. The play won the 2015 New York Drama Critics Circle Award for Best Play. The play won the 2015 Lucille Lortel Award, Outstanding Play.
His play The Motherfucker With the Hat premiered on Broadway in 2011 and featured Bobby Cannavale, Chris Rock. It was also performed in San Francisco at San Francisco Playhouse in January 2013 where it received positive reviews.
The Little Flower of East Orange, starring Ellen Burstyn and directed by Philip Seymour Hoffman, was produced Off-Broadway by the Labyrinth Theatre Company at The Public Theater, opening on April 6, 2008 and closing on May 4, 2008. The play was developed at the Manhattan Theatre Club's "6 @ 7" series.
Judas Iscariot premiered Off-Broadway on March 2, 2005 at The Public Theatre and was directed by Philip Seymour Hoffman. The play completed a critically acclaimed run in London at the Almeida Theater on May 10, 2008.
His play Our Lady of 121st Street ran originally in an Off-Broadway production by the LAByrinth Theater at Center Stage/NY and then transferred to the Union Square Theatre from March 6, 2003 to July 27, 2003. The play was directed by Philip Seymour Hoffman. The play received: 10 best plays of 2003; Lucille Lortel, Drama Desk, and Outer Critics Circle Best Play nominations.
Jesus Hopped the 'A' Train, premiered Off-Broadway in a production by LAByrinth Theater Company in 2000. It was produced in London at the Donmar Warehouse in 2002, and was nominated for the Olivier Award, Best New Play for 2003, as well as the Edinburgh Festival Fringe First Award.
His play In Arabia We'd All Be Kings ran Off-Broadway in 1999. A production at the Elephant Theatre Company in Hollywood, California in 2007 received four LA Drama Critic's Circle Awards: Production, Writing, Scenic Design and Lighting Design.
His play The Last Days of Judas Iscariot was produced Off-Broadway by LAByrinth in collaboration with The Public Theater in 2005, and was named "10 best", Time magazine and Entertainment Weekly.
Television writing credits include NYPD Blue, David Milch's short-lived CBS drama Big Apple, and Shane Salerno's short-lived NBC series UC: Undercover. Guirgis is currently collaborating with Academy Award nominated director Baz Luhrmann on a Netflix Series about the birth of hip-hop in the 1970s.
He developed and directed Liza Colón-Zayas' play Sistah Supreme for Danny Hoch's Hip Hop Theater Festival in 2000 Marco Greco's award-winning Behind the Counter with Mussolini at the York Theatre (1998 in New York) and Los Angeles (1999 and 2002), and directed Melanie Maras' Kiss Me on the Mouth for InViolet Rep in 2009.
As an actor, Guirgis appeared in the stage play Guinea Pig Solo, produced by LAByrinth at the Public Theater in 2004. He has had leading roles in Todd Solondz's 2004 film Palindromes, Brett C. Leonard's Jailbait opposite Michael Pitt, and in Kenneth Lonergan's Margaret (2011). Other film credits include Philip Seymour Hoffman's Jack Goes Boating, Charlie Kaufman's Synecdoche, New York (2008),Adam Rapp's Blackbird (2007),  Noah Buschel's Neal Cassady (2007), Meet Joe Black (1998), Noise (2008),Trainwreck: My Life as an Idiot (2007), and an episode of the long running New York City-based TV series Law & Order.
Guirgis has uses "improvisational theater to teach HIV/AIDS prevention, conflict resolution and leadership" in prisons, schools, shelters, and hospitals.
Awards, nominations and honors
Guirgis was awarded a 2006 PEN/Laura Pels Award for a playwright in mid-career, a 2006 Whiting Award, and a 2004 TCG fellowship. He attended the 2006 Sundance Screenwriter's Lab,  and was named one of 2004's 25 New Faces of Independent Film by Filmmaker Magazine.
Guirgis is the recipient of new play commissions from Manhattan Theatre Club, Center Theater Group, and South Coast Repertory. He is a member of New Dramatists, MCC's Playwright's Coalition, New River Dramatists, Primary Stages, and The Actor's Studio Playwright/Directors Unit.
Our Lady of 121st Street received the Lucille Lortel Award nomination, Outstanding Play, Outstanding Director (Hoffman); 2003 Outer Critics Circle Award nomination, John Glassner Award; Drama Desk Award nomination, Director (Hoffman) and Outstanding Play
Plays written by Guirgis
- Race, Religion and Politics
- Den of Thieves
- Jesus Hopped the 'A' Train
- The Little Flower of East Orange
- Our Lady of 121st Street
- In Arabia, We’d All Be Kings
- The Last Days of Judas Iscariot
- Dominica the Fat Ugly Ho
- The Motherfucker with the Hat
- Between Riverside and Crazy (Winner of the 2015 Pulitzer Prize for Drama)
- Synecdoche, New York (2008)
- Blake, Leslie (Hoban). "Comin' Uptown", Theatermania, 23 August 2002.
- Fisher, Philip. Interviews: Stephen Adly Guirgis, BritishTheatreGuide.info, 2001 (sic).
- Hetrick, Adam and Purcell, Carey. "Stephen Adly Guirgis Premiere, 'Between Riverside And Crazy', Closes at the Atlantic" playbill.com, August 23, 2014
- Cox, Gordon. "Replaces 'American Psycho' with 'Between Riverside and Crazy'" Variety, October 16, 2014
- Gans, Andrew. "2015 Drama League Awards Nominations Announced; More Than 45 Will Vie for Distinguished Performance Honor" playbill.com, April 21, 2015
- Clement, Olivia. " 'Curious Incident' Top Winner at Outer Critics Circle Awards" playbill.com, May 10, 2015
- Hetrick, Adam. " 'Hamilton' and 'Between Riverside and Crazy' Win 2015 New York Drama Critics' Circle Awards" playbill.com, May 4, 2015
- Staff. "'Hamilton' Breaks Record With Most Lortel Wins" playbill.com, May 10, 2015
- Healy, Patrick. "Chris Rock Takes On Broadway in 'Hat'", The New York Times blog, October 22, 2010.
- "SF Gate". Retrieved 2014-05-14.
- Hernandez, Ernio. " 'The Little Flower of East Orange', Starring Ellen Burstyn, Opens Off-Broadway April 6" plaubill.com, April 6, 2008
- " 'The Little Flower of East Orange' Listing" labtheater.org, accessed April 20, 2015
- Hernandez, Ernio. "Off-Broadway Dates Set for Guirgis' 'Little Flower of East Orange' " playbill.com, January 7, 2008
- " 'Judas Iscariot' Listing" lortel.org, accessed April 21, 2015
- Rees, Jasper. "Stephen Adly Guirgis: When Judas came to New York", The Telegraph, 22 March 2008
- " 'Our Lady of 121st Street' Ends Off-Broadway Run at Union Square, June 29" playbill.com, June 12, 2003
- "Listing" lortel.org, accessed April 20, 2015
- "Listing" lortel.org, accessed May 5, 2015
- Gutman, Les. "Review" curtainup.com, November 28, 2000
- Billington, Michael. "Review. 'Jesus Hopped the A Train' " The Guardian, 13 March 2002
- "Olivier Winners 2003" olivierawards.com, accessed May 5, 2015
- McGrath, Sean and Simonson, Robert. "Philip Seymour Hoffman to Stay in OB 'Arabia' Until July 23" playbill.com, July 13, 1999
- Jones, Kenneth. "L.A. Drama Critics Embrace '13', Stephen Adly Guirgis and 'Zanna, Don't!' in Annual Awards" playbill.com, March 18, 2008
- "Listing" lortel.org, accessed May 5, 2015
- Sommer, Elyse. "Review. The Last Days of Judas Iscariot " CurtainUp.com, February 27, 2005
- Gates, Anita. "Language of the Street, Quirks of the Heart" The New York Times, June 22, 2006
- Hetrick, Adam. "Baz Luhrmann and Stephen Adly Guirgis Collaborating on Hip-Hop Television Project". Playbill.com, December 13, 2013
- Chang, Lia. "Photos: Ellen Burstyn, Baz Luhrmann, John Leguizamo, Elizabeth Rodriguez, Stephen McKinley Henderson, John Patrick Shanley, David Henry Hwang, Liza Colón-Zayas, Kenneth Lonergan and More Celebrate Stephen Adly Guirgis at The Mimi Awards". BackstagePasswithLiaChang.com, November 19, 2014
- Ehren, Christine. "Colon-Zayas' 'Sistah Supreme' Steps Up at Hip Hop Fest, June 28" playbill.com, June 28, 2000
- " 'Behind the Counter with Mussolini' Listing, York Theatre, Craetives" broadwayworld.com, accessed April 21, 2015
- Ehren, Christine. " 'Behind the Counter With Mussolini' Returns to L.A. Feb. 7-March 30" playbill.com, February 2, 2002
- Bacalzo, Dan. "Stephen Adly Guirgis to Direct 'Kiss Me on the Mouth'" theatermania.com, October 8, 2009
- " 'Guinea Pig Solo' Listing" lortel.org, accessed April 21, 2015
- " 'Palindromes' Listing" allmovie.com, accessed April 21, 2015
- " 'Margaret' Listing" imdb.com, accessed April 21, 2015
- " 'Synecdoche, New York' Cast and Crew" allmovie.com, accessed April 21, 2015
- " 'Blackbird'" imdb.com, accessed April 21, 2015
- " Neal Cassady Cast" letterboxd.com, accessed May 5, 2015
- " 'Meet Joe Black' Cast" imdb.com, accessed April 21, 2015
- " 'Noise' Cast" tvguide.com, accessed May 5, 2015
- " 'Trainwreck: My Life as an Idiot' Cast" New York Times, accessed May 5, 2015
- Klein, Judith M. "Growing Up With the Hat" The New York Times, June 21, 2011
- Hernandez, Ernio. "Adrienne Kennedy and Stephen Adly Guirgis Win 2006 PEN/ Laura Pels Awards for Drama" playbill.com, May 2, 2006
- "2006 Winner, Drama" whiting.org, accessed April 21, 2015
- "Six Artists Selected For The 2006 Sundance Playwrights Retreat" filmmakers.com, January 26, 2006
- "Stephen Adly Guirgis to Receive the Steinberg Distinguished Playwright Award at the Seventh Annual Steinberg Playwright "Mimi" Awards on November 17". Backstage Pass with Lia Chang. November 11, 2014.
- Dorie Baker (March 4, 2013). "Yale awards $1.35 million to nine writers". YaleNews. Retrieved March 5, 2013.
- "The Pulitzer Prizes Drama".
- Chang, Lia. "Stephen Adly Guirgis’ Between Riverside and Crazy Garners 2015 Pulitzer Prize for Drama". BackstagePasswithLiaChang.com, April 20, 2015
- "Listing" lortel.org, accessed April 22, 2015
- Stephen Adly Guirgis at the Internet Movie Database
- Stephen Adly Guirgis at the Internet Off-Broadway Database
- Profile and photo at LAByrinth Theater Company