Sumitomo Rubber Industries
The company traces its origins to 1909, when the Sumitomo Group made an investment in Dunlop Japan, the newly formed Japanese subsidiary of the British company Dunlop Rubber. Over the years Sumitomo and Dunlop developed a close business relationship, and in 1963 the Sumitomo Group acquired control of Dunlop Japan and renamed it Sumitomo Rubber Industries Ltd.
In 1985, when Dunlop Rubber was taken over by BTR plc, the company acquired the automobile tire assets of Dunlop, including the right to use the Dunlop brand on automobile tires. The acquisition did not include the US and Australian businesses, which were separately owned, but in 1986 Sumitomo also acquired the Dunlop Tire Corporation of the US from its management.
In 1997, Sumitomo formed a joint venture with Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company, by which Goodyear and Sumitomo agreed to manufacture tires for each other's markets, including Dunlop branded tires. As part of the agreement, Goodyear acquired 75% interests in Dunlop Tyres, the UK company which Sumitomo had formed, and in Dunlop Tire Corporation. Goodyear and Sumitomo also made investments in each other.
SRI Sports Limited 
SRI Sports Limited is the subsidiary of Sumitomo that specializes in sports equipment, with the main focus being tennis and golf. SRI Sports owns Srixon, Cleveland Golf, its subsidiary, Never Compromise, as well as rights to the Dunlop name in Japan, Taiwan and Korea.
Srixon produce tennis balls, golf balls, golf clubs, and a full range of golfing accessories. It holds several professional golfers under endorsement deals including Graeme McDowell and Henrik Stenson.
Following the acquisition of Cleveland Golf, SRI Sports announced their intention to consolidate its operations, with Cleveland overseeing marketing and distribution across North America, with Srixon doing the same in Europe and Australia, and Dunlop taking over in Asia.
- New York Times November 21, 1986
- Goodyear form 10-Q for quarter ended June 30, 1999, p.28
- Chasan, Emily (30 October 2007). "Quiksilver sells Cleveland Golf unit". Reuters. Retrieved 2008-09-19.
- "SRI Sports Announces Worldwide Cleveland/Srixon Consolidation". The Wire. 27 June 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-19.
- International Directory of Company Histories (1992), St James Press ISBN 15586206103, Vol V, p. 252
- (English) Sumitomo Rubber Group English site
- (Japanese) Sumitomo Rubber Group Japanese site
- (Japanese) Sumitomo Rubber Industries, Ltd.
|This article about a Japanese corporation– or company–related topic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|