Tallahassee Community College
|Tallahassee Community College|
|Motto||It's For You|
|President||Dr. Jim Murdaugh|
|Undergraduates||19,887 (Fall 2013)|
|Location||Tallahassee, Florida, US|
Tallahassee Community College (TCC) is a community college in Tallahassee, Florida, United States. It is part of the Florida College System and primarily serves Leon, Gadsen, and Wakulla counties. In 2013, Tallahassee Community College was listed 1st in the nation in graduating students with A.A. degrees. TCC is also the #1 transfer school in the nation to Florida State University.
- 1 History
- 2 Locations
- 3 Organization and administration
- 4 Academic profile
- 5 TCC2FSU Golden Guarantee Program
- 6 Student life
- 7 Notable Alumni
- 8 References
- 9 External links
The Tallahassee Community College main campus is located at 444 Appleyard Dr. Tallahassee, Florida 32304. It serves the greater Tallahassee area and is located 1.9 miles from Florida State University. It is also located close to Florida A&M University. The surrounding area is primary made up of student housing and commercial amenities to cater to college students. Tallahassee is a college town with more than 70,000 students studying at Florida State University, Tallahassee Community College, and Florida A&M University.
The Florida Public Safety Institute is located at 75 College Dr. Havana, FL 32333.
Organization and administration
TCC hosts a multitude of administrative services, most notably the Tallahassee Community College Police Department. The departments of Human Resources, Contracts & Grants, Financial Aid, Facilities, Planning & Construction, Plant Operations, and Budget & General Services are also available to students.
- Enrollment Services
- Campus Life
- Center for Teaching Excellence
- Library Services
- Internship Program Coordinator
- Communications & Humanities
- Science & Math
- History & Social Sciences
- Technology & Professional Programs
- Health Care Professions
- Academic Support
- Workforce Programs & Adult Education Operations
- Grants and special projects
- Business & Workforce development
Presidents of Tallahassee Community College
- Fred W. Turner: 1965–1979
- Marm M. Harris: 1979–1982
- Fred W. Turner (Interim:) 1982–1983
- James H. Hinson, Jr.: 1983–1995
- T.K. Wetherell: 1995–2001
- Debra O. Austin (Acting): 2001–2002
- William D. Law, Jr.: 2002–2010
- Barbara Sloan (Interim): 2010
- Jim Murdaugh: 2010–present
Tallahassee Community College is one of the nation’s top community colleges. Every semester, more than 14,000 students choose TCC as the next step in their education. Many are preparing for transfer to a university (nearly 75 percent of TCC's A.A. graduates go on to study at state universities in Florida). TCC currently offers Associate of Science, Associate of Arts, and Associate of Applied Sciences degrees. The college also provides the opportunity for students to receive degrees from Flagler College, Barry University, Embry Riddle and Saint Leo University while taking classes on the TCC campus.
TCC2FSU Golden Guarantee Program
TCC2FSU provides guaranteed admission into Florida State University for Tallahassee Community College Associate in Arts degree graduates as well as:
- Guaranteed admission to FSU
- Preferential admission into FSU’s limited-access programs
- Personalized advising with transfer-focused TCC and FSU advisors
- Specialized orientations and college success workshops
- With an easier admissions process, personalized advising and excellent faculty and resources, TCC provides a strong foundation for graduates moving on to FSU.
Student opportunities include "TheatreTCC", the Capital Band of Tallahassee Community College, the TCC Jazz Band, and the Tallahassee Civic Chorale. A Student Government Association is open for student involvement, and the Office of Student Volunteerism encourages students to engage in community service. Students also participate in Forensics(Debate), Model UN, the Honors Program, Phi Theta Kappa. A student newspaper, the Talon, is published at least 5 times a semester by the students of a journalism class, and a literary magazine, The Eyrie, is published yearly. TCC annually hosts the Big Bend Brain Bowl academic tournament sponsored by the Tallahassee Democrat.
TCC Athletics include softball, baseball, and basketball. Their mascot is the eagle. The school's athletic teams compete in the Panhandle Conference of the Florida State College Activities Association, a body of the National Junior College Athletic Association Region 8.
The softball program, having won three conference championships, won a state and national title in 1994. The baseball team finished 2004 with its fourth conference title. The men's basketball team has three conference titles, and the women's has one. Both basketball teams have each finished third in the NJCAA Tournament within the past eight years.
Currently, Mike McLeod is the Baseball coach and is in his seventeenth season at the helm. McLeod has guided the Eagles to Panhandle Conference Championships in 1995, 1999, 2002, 2004, and 2009 . His teams have made seven trips to the Florida Community College Activities Association Tournament. McLeod has been named Panhandle Conference Coach of the Year four times (1995, 1999, 2004, 2009). In February 2011, McLeod posted his 700th win as baseball coach of the TCC Eagles.
- Clay Harvison - Professional mixed martial artist formerly with Bellator MMA and the Ultimate Fighting Championship
- Cheryl Hines - American actress, comedian, producer and director, known for her role as Larry David's wife Cheryl on HBO's Curb Your Enthusiasm, for which she was nominated for two Emmy Awards.
- Lorenzo Cain - Major League Baseball outfielder for the Kansas City Royals who won the 2014 American League Championship Series Most Valuable Player Award.
- Bernard James - American professional basketball player who currently plays for the Shanghai Sharks of the Chinese Basketball Association (CBA).
- Michael Saunders - Canadian Major League Baseball center fielder for the Toronto Blue Jays.
- Ryan Freel - American professional baseball player.
- Marcus Hatten - American professional basketball player who currently plays for CSM U Oradea of the Liga Națională.
- Bootsy Thornton - American professional basketball player who last played for Strasbourg IG in France.
- Jason Bennett - American basketball player who last played for the Jacksonville Giants of the ABA.