||This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2008)
The Bible: In the Beginning is a 1966 religious epic film recounting the first 22 chapters of the Book of Genesis. It was a joint American production conceived by Dino De Laurentiis and directed by John Huston. The music score is by Toshirô Mayuzumi. The production was photographed by Giuseppe Rotunno in Dimension 150, a variant of the 70mm Todd-AO format. The cast includes John Huston, George C. Scott, Ava Gardner, and Peter O'Toole. The film consists of four main sections: Adam and Eve, Cain and Abel, Noah's Ark, and the story of Abraham. There are also a pair of shorter sections, one recounting the building of the Tower of Babel, and the other the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. The sections vary greatly in tone.
The story of Abraham is somber and reverential, while that of Noah repeatedly focuses on his love of all animals - herbivorous and carnivorous or omnivorous. Cats (including lions) drink milk, with Noah's relationship with the animals being depicted harmoniously. The destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah and the Tower of Babel could be called precursors to special effects spectaculars, although there are no real effects in the Tower of Babel sequence, and the special effects in the Sodom and Gomorrah sequence do not appear until the cities are actually destroyed. It was originally conceived as the first in a series of films retelling the entire Old Testament, but these sequels were never made.
The film earned rentals of $15 million in North America during its initial theatrical release.Total domestic box office is by now almost $35 million. It was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Score.
- ^ Hall, S. and Neale, S. Epics, spectacles, and blockbusters: a Hollywood history (p. 179). Wayne State University Press, Detroit, Michigan; 2010. ISBN 978-0-8143-3008-1. Retrieved 25 March 2011.
- ^ Solomon, Aubrey. Twentieth Century Fox: A Corporate and Financial History (The Scarecrow Filmmakers Series). Lanham, Maryland: Scarecrow Press, 1989. ISBN 978-0-8108-4244-1. p254
- ^ "The Bible: In the Beginning, Box Office Information". The Numbers. Retrieved April 16, 2012.
- ^ "The Great Bible Figures". Retrieved 2011-09-03.
- ^ "E' morta l'attrice Anna Orso, Aveva recitato con Al Pacino". la Repubblica. 2012-08-14. Retrieved 2012-09-11.
- ^ Solomon p 230
External links