The Muppet Show: Sex and Violence
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (September 2009)|
|The Muppet Show: Sex and Violence|
|Created by||Jim Henson|
|Directed by||Dave Wilson|
|Produced by||Jim Henson|
|Written by||Jim Henson
|Music by||Joe Raposo|
|Editing by||Alfred Muller|
|Original airing||March 19, 1975|
|Running time||25 min.|
The Muppet Show: Sex and Violence aired on ABC on March 19, 1975. It was one of the two pilots produced for The Muppet Show. The other pilot, The Muppets Valentine Show, aired in 1974. In this half-hour variety special, the Muppets parody the proliferation of sex and violence on television. Nigel, Sam the Eagle, and hippie bassist Floyd Pepper prepare for a Pageant based on the Seven Deadly Sins, with Muppets representing the Sins -- Envy, Anger, Gluttony, Vanity, Lust, Avarice, and Sloth.
- Mount Rushmore: The stone presidents trade jokes.
- At the Dance
- The Wrestling Match: The San Francisco Earthquake displays his winning tactics.
- Statler and Waldorf sit in their den.
- The Swedish Chef demonstrates how to make a submarine sandwich.
- For The Birds: Male birds try to attract females in a jazzy skit.
- The Electric Mayhem sing "Love Ya to Death".
- Theater of Things: The pencils get a new ruler.
- Aggression: Featuring two Heaps, tarantula like monsters talking in gibberish.
- Films in Focus: A review pans the film Return to Beneath the Planet of the Pigs.
- The Seven Deadly Sins Pageant
- This special introduced several new Muppets, including Nigel (who acted as host, but would eventually play a minor role as an orchestra conductor on The Muppet Show), Sam the Eagle, Dr. Teeth, Janice, Floyd Pepper, Zoot, Animal, The Swedish Chef, Statler and Waldorf, and an early version of Dr. Julius Strangepork (named "Dr. Nauga"). Old friends like Kermit the Frog, Rowlf the Dog, and Bert from Sesame Street have cameos, along with a few holdovers from the Muppets' previous pilot, such as Crazy Donald (now called "Crazy Harry"), George the Janitor, Mildred Huxtetter, and Brewster the guru. Early versions of Miss Piggy and Gonzo the Great can also be spotted.
The Muppet Show: Sex and Violence was released on DVD in 2005, as an extra feature on the Muppet Show: Season One box set. On the box and on the DVD menus, it is referred to as The Muppet Show Pilot.
- Producer: Jim Henson
- Coproducer: Jon Stone
- Director: Dave Wilson
- Writers: Jim Henson, Jon Stone, Marshall Brickman, Norman Stiles
- Music and Lyrics by: Joe Raposo
- Art Direction and Set Design: Alan Compton
- Muppet Performers: Jim Henson, Frank Oz, Jerry Nelson, Richard Hunt, Dave Goelz, Fran Brill, John Lovelady, Rollie Krewson, Caroly Wilcox, Jane Henson
- Puppet Fabrication: Bonnie Lewis, Caroly Wilcox, Dave Goelz, John Lovelady, Rollie Krewson, Janet Lerman-Graff, Mari Kaestle
- Special Puppets: Don Sahlin
- Puppet Costume Designer: Bonnie Lewis
- Puppet Costume Fabrication: Cindy Chock, Christopher Lyall, Marianne Harms, Nancy Dickenson
- Special Props: Faz Fazakas, John Orberg, Larry Jameson
- Associate Producer: David Holman
- Assistant to the Producer: Audrey Peart Dickman
- Production Assistant: Nancy Domoff
- Character Designers: Michael K. Frith, Bob Taylor
- Lighting Designer: Dave Clark
- Associate Director: Lynn Klugman
- Technical Director: Edmund Bezares
- Lighting Director: Carl Gaiti
- Floor Manager: John Scott
- Sound Effects: Barbara Wood, Dick Maitland
- Videotape Editor: Alfred Muller
- Production Coordinator: Robert Levy
- Studio Facilities Provided By Metrotape East
Muppets: Nigel, Sam the Eagle, Floyd Pepper, Crazy Harry, Brewster, Animal, Mount Rushmore, The San Francisco Earthquake, The Swedish Chef, Avarice, Janice, Zoot, Dr. Teeth, Kermit the Frog, Statler and Waldorf, Whaddayasay Bird, Forcryingoutloud Bird, Ohreally Bird, Youknow Bird, Ohboy Bird, Righton Bird, Envy, Pencils, Ruler, Green Heap, Purple Heap, Gold Stalk, Pink Stalk, Bert,Vanity, Gluttony, Leafy Green Vegetables, Gene Shalit Muppet, Whatnots, Hudson, Miss Piggy, Dr. Nauga, Pig, Hoggie Marsh, Lust, Blond Woman, Rowlf the Dog, George the Janitor, Sloth
Background Muppets: Mildred Huxtetter, Zelda Rose, Gonzo, Lothar, Rufus the Dog, Thudge, Frogs, Catgut, Jim Henson Muppet, Frank Oz Muppet, Jerry Nelson Muppet, Male Koozebanian Creature, Female Koozebanian Creature, Miss Kitty, Beautiful Day Monster, Baskerville the Hound, Scudge, The Frackles, Droop, Gorgon Heap, Flower-Eating Monster, Mahna Mahna, Miss Mousey, Anger
- Jim Henson as Nigel, Swedish Chef, George Washington, Dr. Teeth, Waldorf, Kermit the Frog, Youknow Bird, Green Heap, Ernie Woman, Hudson, and Rowlf the Dog
- Frank Oz as Animal, Sam the Eagle, Theodore Roosevelt, Forcryingoutloud Bird, Ruler, Purple Heap, Bert, Pig, and George the Janitor
- Jerry Nelson as Floyd Pepper, Thomas Jefferson, Monster Dancers, Statler, Whaddayasay Bird, Envy, Pencil, Gold Stalk, Gluttony, Gene Shalit Muppet, and Dr. Nauga
- Richard Hunt as Crazy Harry, Ohboy Bird, Hoggie Marsh, and Lust
- Dave Goelz as Avarice, Zoot, Righton Bird, and Brewster
- John Lovelady as Abraham Lincoln, Anger, and Vanity
- Fran Brill as Female Pig, Receptionist Voice, Ohreally Bird, Pink Stalk, Leafy Green Vegetables, Whatnot Dancer, and Janice
Additional Muppet performers: Rollie Krewson, Caroly Wilcox, and Jane Henson