Roosevelt Senior High School
|Theodore Roosevelt Senior High School|
Roosevelt Senior High School
|4301 13th Street Northwest
District of Columbia, DC, 20011
|School type||Public high school|
|School district||District of Columbia Public Schools Ward 4|
|Faculty||66.0 (on FTE basis)|
|Grades||9 to 12|
|Enrollment||428 (as of 2012-13)|
|Student to teacher ratio||10.36|
Theodore Roosevelt Senior High School is a public high school operated by the District of Columbia Public Schools in the Petworth neighborhood of Ward 4 neighborhood of Northwest Washington, D.C. Roosevelt enrolls 428 students (2013-2014) in ninth through 12th grade. Additionally, the high school is also home to Roosevelt S.T.A.Y. program, an alternative academic and career/technical program that leads to a high school diploma or vocational certificate.
In the early portion of the 20th century (and at a different location), the school was known as Business High School. The high school, located at 13th and Upshur Streets NW was built in 1932 to accommodate 1,200 students. It is currently undergoing a $121 million, two-year facility modernization. The renovation is scheduled to be completed for the 2015-2016 academic year. During the renovation period, classes are being conducted at the MacFarland Middle School campus nearby at 4400 Iowa Avenue, NW.
Uncovered New Deal Artwork
“The American Panorama,” a 1934 New Deal–funded fresco by the Baltimore-born artist Nelson Rosenberg, was uncovered during renovation work in the cafeteria in fall 2013. The fresco is currently being restored and will be incorporated into the final renovation.
- Bill Smith, former MLB player (St. Louis Cardinals, Philadelphia Phillies)
- Diane Rehm, 1954, American public radio talk show host
- Sharon Pratt (née Sharon Pratt Kelly, Sharon Pratt Dixon), 1961 – DC politician (Mayor of DC, 1991 to 1995)
- Carol Thompson Cole (née Carol Thompson), 1969 – DC public servant (First woman City Administrator, Deputy Mayor for Operations and Deputy Mayor for Economic Development; Chief of Staff, Executive Office of the Mayor; and Director, Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs)
- Ralph A. Alpher, Ph.D., noted theoretical physicist and pioneer of big bang cosmology
- Ullysses Tucker, Jr., former syndicated NBA columnist and host of Dialogue (KPTV 12, Portland, Oregon), one of the longest running minority affairs programs in the Pacific Northwest
- GNIS entry for Theodore Roosevelt Senior High School; USGS; December 31, 1981.
- National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 6, 2011.
- "Roosevelt High School @ MacFarland". Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Roosevelt High School Project". DC Department of General Services. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Nelson Rosenberg". Smithsonian American Art Museum. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- Wiener, Aaron. "Rough Ride: Can a new building, redrawn boundaries, and a changing neighborhood transform D.C.'s struggling Roosevelt High School?". Washington City Paper. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- Roosevelt Senior High School
- Roosevelt High School Modernization Project, District of Columbia Department of General Services
- Roosevelt High School @ MacFarland Profile, District of Columbia Public Schools
|This Washington, D.C. school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|