|Elevation||14 m (46 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Telephone code||91 08854|
|Vehicle registration||AP 5|
Tuni is a Major commercial marketing centre for more than forty surrounding villages in the East Godavari District of Andhra Pradesh. Sunday is (Santha) market fare day. Tuni is Known for mango export, nearly 250 varieties of mangoes are available here. It is also famous for betel leaves grown in and around the place and jute bags. Cashew nuts are another major produced variety in Tuni. It is the Mandal town for the near by villages of Atikivanipalem Chamavaram Chepuru D.polavaram Dondavaka Hamsavaram K.o.mallavaram Kolimeru Kothuru Kummarilova N.suravaram Rapaka Rekhavanipalem S.annavaram Talluru Tetagunta Timmapuram Valluru Venkatanagaram.
Tuni may be a historical site dated back to 1st century CE in connection with Buddhism, which flourished in the nearby hillocks and villages such as Gopalapatnam, Satyavaram and KummariLova nearby to the city of Tuni on the banks of Thandava River. The Buddhist monks would have resided in Kummarilova village (Kummararam) from the 2nd century CE to 6th century CE and propagated Buddhism. The Buddhist ‘aramas’ and ‘stupas’ found in the village are testimony for their presence, they said. This village is being called ‘Panchasheela Buddhist centre’ as five Buddhist ‘stupas’ were found here in recent times.Archaeology authorities have found a Buddhist site at Kummarilova of Tuni during a general survey carried out recently in the area.
Modern History is in connection with the Kshatriyas of Vatsavai Dynasty. Tuni is a famous marketplace since 19th Century CE. Tuni Railway station has an important prominence on the Howrah-Madras railway line during the time of British India and also after Independence.
As of 2012[update] India census, Tuni had a population of 4,00,000. Males constitute 52% of the population and females 47%. Tuni has an average literacy rate of 77%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 72%, and female literacy is 66%. In Tuni, 13% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Tuni is located at 17.35°N 82.55°E. It has an average elevation of 16 metres (46 ft)
A famous and one of the oldest sugar factories of andhra pradesh Tandava sugars is located here.A large number of Handloom industries ,about a 20 cashewnut industries are located here.
- Loyola Public School
- Bhasyam Public School
- Vivekavardhani Public School
- Sri Prakash Vidya Niketan
- Siddartha High School
- Sri Vidya Public School
- Tagore Public School
- Apollo English Medium School
- Sri Chaitanya Public School
- Narayana E-Techno School
- Gowtam Model School
- Cannosa Public School
- Vivekananda Public School
- Raja High School(Government)
- S.R.V.V.S.J.R.B.Z.P. Girls High School
- Ravindra Bharathi Public School
- Pragathi Convent
- Sri Chaitanya Techno School
- Anna Memorial School
- Ramanujam public school
- gayathri english medium school
- Sri Prakash Junior College
- Siddartha Junior College
- Narayana Junior College
- Chaitanya Techno School
- Government Junior College
- Gayatri Junior College.
- Sri Prakash Engineering College
Tuni is an assembly constituency in Andhra Pradesh. There were 1,63,024 registered voters in Tuni constituency in 1999 elections.
List of elected members:
- 1951 - Rajah Vatsavai Venkata Krishnamraja Bahadur(Youngerbrother of late Raja Vatsavai Venkata Surya narayana Jagapathi Raju Bahadur"MAHA RAJA OF TUNI AND KOTTAM ESTATE"before being adopted)
- 1955 - Rajah Vatsavai Venkata Krishnamraja Bahadur
- 1962 - Rajah Vatsavai Venkata Krishnamraja Bahadur
- 1967 - Rajah Vatsavai Venkata Krishnamraja Bahadur
- 1972 - N. Vijaya Lakshmi(daughter of Rajah Vatsavai Venkata Krishnamraja Bahadur )
- 1978 - Nallaparaju Meerrja Vijaya Lakshmi Devi
- 1983 - Yanamala Ramakrishnudu - TDP
- 1985 - Yanamala Ramakrishnudu - TDP
- 1989 - Yanamala Ramakrishnudu - TDP
- 1994 - Yanamala Ramakrishnudu - TDP
- 1999 - Yanamala Ramakrishnudu - TDP
- 2004 - Yanamala Ramakrishnudu - TDP
- 2009 - Rajah Vatsavai Venkata Krishnamraja Bahadur Ashok babu - Congress
N.H -5,a pat of golden quadrilateral runs through the town.A.P.S.R.T.C runs frequent bus services to major cities nearby like Vijayawada, visakhapatnam, Rajamundry, Kakinada and also to nearby villages.
Nearest airport of visakhapatnam is a 100km drive from here.
- Tuni is a 18 km drive from Annavaram, a sacred place of Lord Satyanarayana Swamy, Tuni is half way between the two cities of Rajahmundry and the port city of Visakhapatnam.Another port city kakinada formerly known as cokanada is a 64km drive. tuni is 8km drive to famous goddes called (sri thallupullama thali).
- Rajah Vatasvai Venkata Surya Narayana Jagathpathi Raj Bahadur, the King of Tuni in the 1900s, was the last King to carry on with Patabishekam (crowning ceremony) in Andhra.
- The famous freedom fighter of South India, Alluri Sita Rama Raju studied here for some time in Raja High School, which is over 100 years old.
- P.S. Rao, who is the former dean of IIT Madras had done his schooling in Raja high school is one of the best civil engineers in the world and is one of the main contributors for IS CODE and his research in civil has paved a way for so many innovations in the field of civil and is been used across the globe.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- Election Commission of India.A.P.Assembly results.1978-2004