|Elevation||9 m (30 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Telephone code||91 884|
Samalkota is a town and mandal headquarters of Kakinada rural with the nearest airport, in Rajahmundry at a distance of 64 km (40 mi), and the nearest international airport in Visakhapatnam (Vizag) at a distance of 161 km (100 mi). The Mandal of Samalkot had a population of 101,752 in 2005 and has around 41,000 voters.
The Sri Chalukya Kumararama Sri Bhimeswaraswamy vari temple (Kumararama, one of the Pancharama Kshetras) is located about 1 km (0.6 mi) from the railway station. The presiding deity at this temple is Lord Shiva, known as Kumara Bhimeswara. Maha Sivarathri is the most important festival which is celebrated in this temple.
As of 2001[update] India census, Samalkota had a population of 73,602. Males constitute 50% of the population and females 50%. Samalkota has an overall literacy rate of 70%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 75%, and female literacy is 66%. In Samalkota, 11% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Samalkot railway station is an important railway junction on the Visakhapatnam-Vijayawada section of Howrah-Chennai main line. The railway line to Kakinada branches at this railway junction. It is just 12 km (7.5 mi) from Kakinada, which is the District Headquarter, and 50 km (31 mi) from Rajahmundry, the historical city. It serves as a major station to the people of Kakinada, as this junction connects Kakinada to the rest of the country. Samalkot junction, located on the Chennai-Howrah line, connects Kakinada to Annavaram, Anakapalle, Vishakapatnam, Srikakulam and Orissa and Howrah.Being kakinada remotely located this town is serving kakinada as a Railway Town :) Most of the Place is surrounded by the railway station itself as this was developed because of kakinada city and soon its going to be merging in kakinada from 2013 and we can see a dramastic development in samarlakota also after merger.
The local industries include:
- R.A.K Ceramics India Private limited.
- Orient Ceramics India Limited.
- Gautami Power Ltd, GVK group.
- 220-MW Power Project owned by Reliance Energy Limited.
- Servomax India Limited.
Reliance Infrastructure Limited (RInfra) announced securing the EPC contract of a 2,400 megawatts (3,200,000 hp) gas-based Combined Cycle Power Project (CCPP) at Samalkot. This project is strategically located in a gas-rich belt at Samalkot, East Godavari District, and is the largest gas-based power plant to be set up in the country. The Samalkot CCPP EPC contract is the third significant power project bagged by RInfra EPC from Reliance Power. The other EPC contracts were for the Sasan UMPP in Madhya Pradesh and Butibouri in Maharashtra. The contact value for the project is Rs 7,200 crore and shall execute the contract on lumpsum, turnkey EPC Contract basis. Samalkot CCPP deploys efficient, green and robust technology, and the project was scheduled to commence power generation by the end of 2011. Gas and steam turbine orders have already been placed with General Electric, USA. Other major contracts have been awarded to reputed domestic and international companies.
- Deccan Sugars owned by Navabharath Ventures Ltd.
- Palm Tech India Limited.
- vijaya industries.Mfrs of SS Furniture for Hospitals & Handicapped cycles.
- sai balaji industries.(Steel Furniture mfrs)
- Sri Venkatarama Oil Industries Ltd manufacturers of Refined Rice Bran Oil.
- Sudha Agro Oil and Chemical Industries - Bran oil manufacturers
- The oldest Telugu sexology magazine 'Abhisarika' (estd. 1949) is published from here.
- White circle Oxides
- Lakshman Industries pvt ltd
- RAK Ceramic Pvt Ltd (B)
- Vijaya Sai industries
- Sai Ganesh Industries.
- R.K AGRO PRODUCTS(manufacture of tapioca flour)
- CENTENARY BAPTIST CHURCH(125 YEARS)
- C.B.M. CENTENARY HIGH SCHOOL (125 YEARS)
- Falling Rain Genomics.Samalkot
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- Details of Andhra Pradesh till Village Panchayat Tier