Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation
"Lifeline of the Nation"
"బస్సు చక్రం రాష్ట్ర ప్రగతికి చిహ్నం"
|Type||Public Sector Corporation under the Ministry of Transport of the State Government's of Andhra Pradesh|
|Founded||11 January 1958|
|Area served||Andhra Pradesh,Telangana|
|Key people||B Satyanarayana, Chairman
D.J.PurnaChandra Rao(I.P.S) , Vice-Chairman and managing director
|Products||Bus transport, Services|
|Revenue||51 billion (US$840 million)|
|Profit||1.18 billion (US$19 million)|
Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation or APSRTC is the state owned road transport corporation in the southern Indian state of Andhra Pradesh. It is acknowledged as the single corporation having the largest fleet in the world. This has been certified by the Guinness World Records for being the largest bus operator in the world.
APSRTC was established in 1932 as a unit of Nizam's State Railways - Road Transport Division. Later by the States Reorganisation Act Andhra Pradesh formed with merger of Hyderabad State with Andhra state. On 11 January 1958 it is incorporated as APSRTC. The initial fleet consisted of 27 buses and has been expanded since to about 22,459 buses as of 31 May 2014. Following the division of Andhrapradesh state on 2 June 2014, the corporation is expected to be divided betweeen Telangana and the remaining Andhrapradesh state with in one year.
The network connects cities, towns and villages in the state. Every town has a Bus Depot, which have administration to plan and oversee the operations. It operates in the all cities and towns of Andhra Pradesh. It also operates to the neighboring states as per the agreement reached with the respective state bus corporations of Telangana, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Puducherry, Maharashtra, Orissa, Chhattisgarh and Goa.
APSRTC serves about 14 million passengers every day.
- Number of buses (As on 31-05-2014 ) :22,459
- Number of employees ( As on 31-05-2014 ) : 122,191
- Number of depots : 216
- Number of regions/zones : 23/7
- Number of bus shelters : 1881
- Total bus stations : 778
- No. of passengers transported daily (up to Apr 2013) : 15.36 million
- Total number of routes (April 2013) : 7736
- Zonal Work Shops : 7
- Bus Body Building Unit : 1
- Tire Retreading Shops : 7
- Printing Press : 1
- Transport Academy : 1
- Staff Training Colleges : 6
- Dispensaries / Hospitals :35
Type Of Services
Initially the city buses very primarily called ordinary buses with green and dark green shades. They were supplemented with few double-decker buses in the same colour scheme.But in the year 2003 the corporation has decided to withdraw doubledeckers because of the operational difficulties. The colour scheme of the ordinary city buses has also been changed to white and orange gradually from the year 2002.
In the year 1994 a new kind of buses with dark blue and white colour scheme called the Metroliners were introduced in Hyderabad similar kind were introduced in Visakhapatnam under the name of CityLiners these were instant hit but the passengers had to pay higher for the services which had fewer stops.APSRTC then introduced Metro Express buses whose charges were in between that of the ordinary and the Metroliners. In the year 2002 when the National games were held in the city of Hyderabad the APSRTC complimented the Hyderabad's successful organisation by providing a new Yellow coloured buses for transporting the participants/organizers between the venues and places of stay. These buses were named Veera who was the mascot for the 2002 National Games. Veera is based on Ongole Bull. After 2002 National Games Veera buses are used for Hyderabad Local Transport.
Then came few AC buses called SeethalaHamsa's .But the city regions got a big boost with the coverage of Urban transportation under the JNNURM scheme in which the Union Government funds the purchase of buses to be used for improving urban transport. APSRTC has got more than 2000 buses sanctioned under this scheme.Out of these buses 1000 were sanctioned to Hyderabad city region in which 750 were Semi Low Floor(SLF, Ashok Leyland and TATA motors make), 200 Low Floor buses(TATA Marcopolo) and 50 AC Low Floor buses(8 Volvo and remaining Tata Marcopolo).From 2009 end the JNNURM Metro Expresses with a distinct blue and white colour scheme having LED electronic display boards are prominently seen on the roads of twin cities,Vijayawada and Visakhapatnam. It has also introduced CNG buses in some cities viz. Vijayawada and will soon introduce in other major cities and towns. Type of city buses
Unlike the past there is less standardisation in the body structure or the colour scheme of a particular kind of Buses even leading to confusion among the passengers in identifying them.
Different type of intercity, district, and village services are:
- Can be considered the new avtar of the old Red Bus. The colour scheme is predominantly Dark Green over White.Usually connects the villages to nearby towns.
- Similar to the Express service before but in new White and Sky Blue Stripes.
- These buses in Blue and White colours are seen in the holy towns of Tirupathi and Tirumala for the benefit of pilgrims visiting the Lord Venkateshwara Swami temple in Tirumala. Majority of buses ply between Tirupathi and Tirumala and are Ghat eligible. Some of these buses connect Tirumala directly with Chennai, Bangalore and Chittoor.
- Previously known Luxury buses have been named as Deluxe. Can be seen in different colour patterns but mostly in Purple and white combination.
- SUPER LUXURY
- Most popular non-AC service between towns and cities and vice versa. Usually in a single predominant colour with black windows. The color is usually Pink,light Green,Blue,Orange.
- INDRA A/C [ASHOK LEYLAND]
- APSRTC has introduced 155 air-conditioned Leyland vehicles christened ‘Indra' for people who wish to travel air-conditioned buses at affordable fares. To begin with, these buses would be run on Hyderabad-Vijayawada, Hyderabad-Ongole,Hyderabad-Kakinada, Hyderabad-Visakhapatnam, Hyderabad-Nellore, Nizamabad-Hyderabad, Hyderabad-Kadapa and other routes.
- GARUDA A/C [VOLVO,ISUZU]
- When the Swedish Auto major Volvo entered the South Indian Market with its B7R (Volvo 9400) buses APSRTC was among the few operators who have brought the Volvo B7R buses.They have named the bus Services as Garuda. These buses are very fast,comfortable and safe. People have patronized these services even at a higher ticket costs. APSRTC is operating Garudas between major cities in the state like Hyderabad,Visakhapatnam,Nizamabad,Vijaywada and to cities in the neighbouring states like Bangalore, Mumbai. Now the enhanced version B9R, Multiaxle with more seating capacity is to come with advanced features. Along with Volvo, APSRTC also operates with Cerita,ISUZU coaches in specific zones.
- GARUDA PLUS A/C MULTIAXLE [VOLVO,BENZ]
- To provide smooth comfortable riding and faster journey to the passengers of interstate and Intra state, APSRTC planned to introduce Multi Axle A/C buses of Mercedes Benz and Volvo make under brand name of "'GARUDA PLUS". Initially 41 buses (20 Mercedes Benz & 21 Volvo) are planned which meet BS-III emission norm.
THE SALIENT FEATURES-
- Overall length of the coach is 13.7 mt
- Ergonomically designed reclining sears (49 Nos) with calf supported (44 seats) with magazine pouch, bottle holder and coat hanger.
- Elegant body profile and attractive color scheme with graphics.
- individual reading lamps and adjustable A/C louvers.
- LED destination board and standard destination with tube light illumination at front.
- 26LCD TV in front and 17' TFT in middle for better visibility to all passengers.
- Cell phone chargers.
- Air suspension with 8 bellows for jerk free riding comfort.
- VENNELA SLEEPER A/C [VOLVO,ISUZU]
- In early 2012 APSRTC has introduced AC sleeper services named Vennela. These are 2 tier 24 berth Isuzu and Volvo make buses connecting distant cities where passenger can travel with sleeping comfort.Routes-- Vijayawada-Hyderabad,Guntur-Hyderabad,Tirupathi-Hyderabad,Vijayawada-Srikakulam
THE SALIENT FEATURES:-
- Provided with air suspension system for better comfort.
- Provided with 24 two tier berths with sufficient width.
- provided with individual LCD TV with head phone facility for each berth.
Provision of Value added Services:-
- 1/2 Liter Mineral Water Bottle of reputed brand BISLERY
- Attendant's assistance to the passengers in loading and unloading their luggage.
- Audio & Video.
Bed roll consisting of the following items :-
- One Woollen Blanket.
- Two White singal Bed sheets.
- One U Foam pillow with White pillow cover.
Popular services in the past
- The all ubiquitous Red bus or affectionately called the Erra bus, Erra for Red in Telugu connects the villages to the near towns.Usually has 52 seats with 3+2 seating arrangement. The red bus has been a part of life of the rural people. The bus connectivity of a village is considered an indication of village progress. Erra bus has the lowest fare among all the types of services. From 2006–07 Red color Ordinary bus has been slowly replaced with other color schemes leading to the demise of the people's favourite bus.
- Usually operated as a service between the towns and also for connecting the towns with the cities. Initially the colour scheme was Creamish Yellow and Brown, then changed to white and Greyish Blue and now White and Sky Blue.These buses have a better 3+2 seating arrangement the seats supporting head.
- Initially in the attractive Light Green and Yellow horizontal long stripes over White colour scheme had reasonably 2+2 seats.Usually operated on longer routes than Expresses. After 1995 there have been several changes to the color schemes and the body structures and were called Luxury buses.From 2007 onwards they are called Deluxes.
- SUPER DELUXE
- Was the top category bus in the APSRTC service range before 1994. It was in popular Yellow, Red, Black horizontal stripes with Brown Border over White Colour.Had 2+2 pushback leather kind of seats. Were considered premium service, had advanced reservations for travel. Each town depot usually had one or two services which were usually connecting Hyderabad.T he color scheme was changed to Blue and White for a couple of years before the Super Deluxes were removed from services.
- After the Super Deluxe, the Hitechs formed the Premium service. From 1995 there have been Hitechs of different shapes and colours. Hitechs of late did not have a particular colour and were in different colours. They are eventually named Super Luxury from 2007.
- AC & Non-AC coaches in white and red colour scheme.
- OTHER BUSES
- APSRTC did had a few AC services. Few buses were modified to have Air Conditioning to connect major cities. In the year 1994 a dedicated AC climatizer buses under the name Vihamgam were introduced, they were few and connected the major cities in the State apart from Bangalore. Another service called Mayuri was a sleeper service operated on few routes most notably between Hyderabad and Shiridi. There were few other buses like the predominantly sky blue colour ordinary called Gramini for connecting small villages and there is a special kind of ordinary for carrying vegetables to the nearby Rythu Bazars. But these services were short lived.
APSRTC will have a high time running its services in the following populous places. Hyderabad; Secunderabad; Warangal; Visakhapatnam; Kakinada; Rajahmundry; Vijayawada; Guntur; Tirupati and Nellore.
- A/C(Vennela-16, GRD Plus-41, GRD- 95, Indra-155)
- Non A/C (S.Lux-1744, DLX-1056, EXP-3963, Ghat Exp-439)
- Rural Transport (Palle Velugu-9755)
- Urban Transport (A/C-95,M.DLX-167,M.EXP-1384, City Ord-3446, Mini-103)
First By a State Transport Unit (STU)
Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation has been leading by an example. It has a number of firsts to its credit in India.
- First to nationalize passenger Road Transport Services in the country-1932.
- First to introduce long distance night express services.
- First to introduce A/C Sleeper, Hi-tech, Metro Liner, Inter-City Services and Metro Express.
- First to introduce Depot computerisation-1986.
- First to appoint Safety Commissioner for improving the safety of the passengers.
- All the 216 Depots in the State are computerized.
- Reservation of tickets on telephone and door delivery of tickets.
- Guinness Book of World Records on 31 October 1999, with 18,397 buses making it the largest bus fleet in the world.
- Road Safety award' by United Kingdom based 'Chartered Institute of Transport'.
- 'APSRTC has received the Petroleum Conservation Research Association(PCRA) awards for highest fuel efficiency for 1995-1996, 1996–97, 1997-1998 and 1998-99. Also APSRTC, is the runner up for highest KMPL for the year 1999-2000.
- APSRTC has received the May Day Award for the Best Management with outstanding contribution towards Harmonious Industrial Relations and Labour welfare for the years 1997, 1998 and 1999.
- "Second Best Productivity Performance Award" for the year 1996-1997."-HYDERABAD CITY REGION
- APSRTC has received the Rolling Trophy from the Federation of A.P Chambers Of Commerce and Industries for the year1983-84 for Integral Development.
- APSRTC received Road Safety Award from the Transport Development Council, New Delhi for the year 1987-88.
- APSRTC has received H.N. Thadani Award from Indian Institute of Industrial Engineering for the year 92-93 for introducing innovative systems in Industrial Engineering Field.
- APSRTC has received award from Association of State Road Transport Undertakings (ASRTU) Trophy for operating city buses with best fuel efficiency for every year from 1986-87 to 1996-97.
- APSRTC has received ASRTU Trophy for the year. 1998-99, 1999-00 for the best performance as detailed below
Routes of Garuda plus A/c Multiaxle
Routes of Vennela Sleeper A/c
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation.|
- APSRTC Official Website
- Profile. APSRTC. Retrieved on 2008-03-29.
- APSRTC online agent list
- Chairman's Profile on an Indian Government Website 
-  APSRTC buses timeline gallery
- bus timings
- case study APSRTC