Turkish Aerospace Industries
|Type||Defence and Advanced Technology|
|Industry||Aerospace, defence and telecommunications|
|Key people||Muharrem Dörtkaşlı
M. Yalçın Kaya
(Chairman of the board)
|Net income||$632,7 million (2008 est.)|
|Employees||4,289 (as of 10 January 2013)|
|Website||TAI web site|
Turkish Aerospace Industries, Inc. (TAI) (Turkish: Türk Havacılık ve Uzay Sanayi A.Ş., TUSAŞ) is the center of technology in design, development, manufacturing, integration of aerospace systems, modernization and after sales support in Turkey.
Located in Ankara, the TAI production plant covers an area of 5 million square meters with an industrial facility of 150,000 square meters under its roof. The company has a modern aircraft facility furnished with high technology machinery and equipment that provide extensive manufacturing capabilities ranging from parts manufacturing to aircraft assembly, flight tests and delivery.
As of 2010, Turkish Aerospace Industries employs over 1500 engineers, of whom approximately 850 are research and development engineers working in military research projects.
TAI’s experience includes the licenced production of F-16 Fighting Falcon jets, CN-235 light transport/maritime patrol/surveillance aircraft, SF-260 trainers, Cougar AS-532 search and rescue (SAR), combat search and rescue (CSAR) and utility helicopters as well as the design and development of Unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), target drones and agricultural aircraft.
TAI’s core business also includes modernization, modification and systems integration programs and after sales support of both fixed and rotary wing military and commercial aircraft that are in the inventory of Turkey and its allies.
- Electronic warfare retrofit and structural modifications on Turkish Air Force (TuAF) F-16s.
- MLU, Falcon-Up and Falcon Star Modifications on the Royal Jordanian Air Force (RJAF) F-16s,
- Modifications of 41 F-16A/B Block 15 aircraft of the Pakistan Air Force to F-16AM/BM Block 15 MLU standard. 
- Modification of the S-2E Tracker Maritime Patrol Aircraft into Fire Fighting Aircraft
- CN-235 and Black Hawk modifications for the Turkish Special Forces
- Modification of CN-235 platforms for MPA/MSA missions for the Turkish Navy and Coast Guard
- Modification and modernization of Eurocopter AS 532
- Glass Cockpit Retrofit of S-70 helicopters
- Conversion of B737-700 aircraft AEW&C aircraft
- Avionics modernization of C-130 aircraft for the Turkish Air Force (TuAF)
- Production of the center fuselage of Joint Strike Fighter F-35 aircraft
- Participating in the design and development of the A400M military transport and tanker aircraft
- Avionics modernization of T-38 aircraft for the TuAF
- Design, development and production of the attack helicopter T-129 for the Turkish Armed Forces (TAF).
- Design, development and production of TAI Hürkuş (Turkish Primary and Basic Training Aircraft) with EASA CS-23 certification.
- Design, development and production of Anka unmanned aerial vehicle for the TuAF.
TAI is engaged in manufacturing aerostructures for fixed and rotary wing, military and commercial aircraft for worldwide customers. TAI is in various partnership arrangements with Agusta, Alenia Aeronautica, Airbus, Boeing, CASA, Eurocopter, IAI, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, MD Helicopters, Sikorsky, Sonaca and numerous other companies in aeropsace sector.
TAI manufactures Section 18 fuselage panels for Airbus 319/320/321 aircraft, wing tips and flight deck panels for Boeing 737 aircraft, rear doors and engine cowlings for Eurocopter EC135 helicopters, MD 902 fuselage for MD Helicopters, horizontal stabilizers, tail rotor pylons and tail booms for Sikorsky S-70A and MH-60 helicopters, horizontal stabilizers for Sikorsky S-76 helicopters and AB139 fuselages for Agusta. Furthermore, TAI manufactures nose landing gear doors for the Boeing 747, dorsal fin for 777 and parts/subassembly parts for 737/767/777. It also manufactures seven components of the Eurocopter AS 532 helicopter.
TAI, which had a single program (the co-production of the F-16 Fighting Falcon) at its establishment phase, is working on over 50 military and commercial programs today. As a partner of the Airbus Defence and Space, TAI has been participating in the design and development activities of the Airbus A400M program with the leading European aerospace companies; namely Airbus (France, Germany, Spain and UK), EADS CASA (Spain) and FLABEL (Belgium) from the beginning of the project. TAI has accepted the production of A350XWB's winglets with the new cooperation.
Unmanned aerial vehicles
- TAI Anka-A (TIHA-A) (2013), MALE ISTAR UAV
- TAI Anka-B (TIHA-B) (2013), MALE UCAV
- TAI Baykuş (2003), tactical surveillance drone
- TAI Gözcü (2007), short-range tactical ISTAR drone
- TAI Keklik (2001), target drone for tracking and non-firing exercise
- TAI Martı (2003), surveillance drone
- TAI Öncü (2009), experimental small scale drone
- TAI Pelikan (IHA-X2), tactical ISTAR drone
- TAI Şahit (IHA-X1), prototype tactical drone
- TAI Şimşek, high-speed target drone
- TAI Sivrisinek VTOL, reconnaissance and surveillance VTOL UCAV
- TAI Turna (2001), target drone for tracking and live firing
- TAI Hürkuş, two-seat, single engine, turboprop aircraft for training and ground attack
- TFX (Turkey)
TAI operates Turkish Satellite Assembly, Integration and Test Center.
- "Turk Hava Kuvvetleri Turkish Air Force - TUAF". f-16.net. Retrieved 4 Jun 2010.
- "TAI DELIVERS RJAF'S FIRST F-16 A/C MODERNIZED AT ITS FACILITIES". tai.com.tr. 17 Oct 2007. Retrieved 4 Jun 2010.
- Pocock, Chris (24 February 2012). "Pakistan Air Force Receives New, Upgraded F-16s from U.S., Turkey". ainonline.com. Retrieved 23 June 2013.
- "Tusas Aerospace Industries (TAI) from Turkey and EUROCOPTER Extend their Cooperation in the Super Puma / Cougar Helicopter Family". eurocopter.com. 7 Sep 2004. Retrieved 4 Jun 2010.
- "Turkish Aerospace Industries (TAI) Delivers First S-70i BLACK HAWK Helicopter Tailcone". sikorsky.com. 28 Apr 2009. Retrieved 4 Jun 2010.
- "737 AEW&C Wedgetail Airborne Early Warning and Control Aircraft, USA". airforce-technology.com. Retrieved 4 Jun 2010.
- "The first C-130 aircraft, the avionics modernization of which will be realized by TAI, arrived at TAI's facilities". tai.com.tr. 27 Dec 2007. Retrieved 4 Jun 2010.
- "TAI delivers first composite parts for F-35". reinforcedplastics.com. 5 Mar 2009. Retrieved 4 Jun 2010.
- "Getting Ready for Takeoff". defensenews.com. 18 Jan 2010. Retrieved 4 Jun 2010.
- "Modernization & Modification Program - T-38 AVIONICS MODERNIZATION". defenceproducts.ssm.gov.tr. 1 Sep 2009. Retrieved 4 Jun 2010.[dead link]
- "T-129 fighter chopper aces maiden test flight". todayszaman.com. 29 Sep 2009. Retrieved 4 Jun 2010.
- "TAI'S TURKISH PRIMARY AND BASIC TRAINER AIRCRAFT (HURKUS) TO BE DISPLAYED AT 47TH PARIS AIR SHOW". tai.com.tr. 6 Jun 2007. Retrieved 4 Jun 2010.
- "TAI Unveils ANKA Unmanned Airplane". trDefence. Retrieved 20 July 2010.
- "TAI's support to local sub-tier industry development". tai.com.tr. 18 Feb 2005. Retrieved 4 Jun 2010.
- "TAI in deal to supply fuselage sections for AgustaWestland AB139". flightglobal.com. 27 Apr 2004. Retrieved 4 Jun 2010.
- "Turkey to open contract negotiations with TAI for the serial production of the Hürkus Trainer Aircraft". January 4, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Turkish Aerospace Industries.|