Ulysses S. Grant Home
Ulysses S. Grant Home
|Location||511 Bouthillier St., Galena, Illinois|
|Governing body||Illinois Historic Preservation Agency|
|Part of||Galena Historic District (#69000056)|
|NRHP Reference #||66000322|
|Added to NRHP||October 15, 1966|
|Designated NHL||December 19, 1960|
The Ulysses S. Grant Home in Galena, Illinois is the former home of Ulysses S. Grant, the Civil War general and later 18th President of the United States. The home was designed by William Dennison and constructed in 1859 - 1860. The home was given to Grant by residents of Galena in 1865 as thanks for his war service, and has been maintained as a memorial to Grant since 1904.
The house was designed in the Italianate style by William Dennison. Typical of buildings done in that style, the home featured well defined rectangular shapes, a roof with a low pitch, balustraded balconies extending out over covered porches, and projecting eaves.
Julia Grant statue
A statue of First Lady Julia Grant was placed on the grounds of the Grant Home and dedicated in 2006. A statue of U.S. Grant stands in Galena's Grant Park, which is visible from the grounds.
Located on Bouthillier Street, the U.S. Grant Home State Historic Site is owned by the state of Illinois and managed by the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency as a historic house museum with rooms furnished to represent a mid-1860s appearance. Many of the furnishings belonged to the Grant family. Tours are given by interpreters dressed in period costumes. Information is given about Grant's activities during the Civil War up through his presidency. An adjacent building houses exhibits about Grant and the history of the home.
The Grant Home was designated a National Historic Landmark on December 19, 1960 and added to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966, upon that program's inception. The Grant House also lies within the Galena Historic District, designated in 1969. The district has more than 1,000 contributing properties.
- Elihu Benjamin Washburne House
- Ulysses S. Grant National Historic Site, earlier home near St. Louis
- General Grant National Memorial (Grant's tomb)
- Grant Cottage State Historic Site, Mt. McGregor, New York
- Grant Boyhood Home, Georgetown, Ohio
- Grant Birthplace, Point Pleasant, Ohio
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- U.S. Grant Home, State Historic Sites, Illinois Historic Preservation Agency.
- Grant Home, Galena State Historic Sites. Retrieved 9 February 2007.
- Ulysses S. Grant Home, NHL Database, National Historic Landmarks Program. Retrieved 9 February 2007.
- Kriviskey, Bruce M. "Historic District of the City of Galena, Illinois", (PDF), National Register of Historic Places Inventory - Nomination Form, April 11, 1969, Illinois Historic Preservation Agency, accessed April 27, 2008.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ulysses S. Grant Home.|
- U.S. Grant Home
- Property Information Report: Ulysses S. Grant House, Illinois Historic Preservation Agency