Umm Kulthum bint Muhammad
Daughters of Muhammad and Khadijah
The daughters attributed to Muhammad are;
- Zainab bint Muhammad, married to her maternal cousin Abu al-Aas ibn al-Rabee before Hijra
- Ruqayyah bint Muhammad, was first married to Utbah ibn Abu Lahab and then to Uthman ibn Affan
- Umm Kulthum bint Muhammad, was first married to Utaybah bin Abu Lahab and then to Uthman ibn Affan after the death of her sister Ruqayyah
- Fatimah, was married to Ali (Ali ibn Abi Talib)
Sunnis do not contest the parentage of Khadijah's daughters and believe that all four were borne to Muhammad. They affirm what the Qur'an states, "O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers...".
According to Shia sources, Muhammad and Khadijah only had one daughter, Fatimah. The Shia scholar Abu'l-Qasim al-Kufi writes:
"When the Messenger of Allah married Khadijah, then some time thereafter Halah died leaving two daughters, one named Zaynab and the other named Ruqayyah and both of them were brought up by the Prophet and Khadijah and they maintained them, and it was the custom before Islam that a child was assigned to whoever brought him up."
- Children of Muhammad
- Fatima bint Muhammad
- Zainab bint Muhammad
- Ruqayyah bint Muhammad
- Genealogy of Khadijah's daughters
- Ibn Kathir. Al-Sira Al-Nabawiyya (PDF). Garner Publishing Limited. p. 52 Vol. 4. Retrieved 31 August 2014.
- al-Istī`āb fī Ma`rifat al-Aşĥāb (Yusuf ibn abd al-Barr, The Comprehensive Compilation of the Names of the Prophet's Companions) vol.1 pp.50
- Quran 33:59
- al-Kufi, Abu'l-Qasim. al-lstighathah. p. 69.