University of Asia Pacific
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (May 2007)|
|University of Asia Pacific|
|Motto||"Committed to excellence"|
|Established||1996 by Ragib Ali|
|Chancellor||President Abdul Hamid|
|Vice-Chancellor||Jamilur Reza Choudhury|
University of Asia Pacific is a private university for Pharmaceutical sciences & Engineering Departments located in Dhanmondi, Dhaka, Bangladesh. The campus consists of ten rented premises in Dhanmondi Residential Area, Dhaka. The buildings are just off the main Road. Construction of the permanent Campus of UAP has already started in Green Road and is expected to be completed by 2015.
University of Asia Pacific (UAP) was established in 1996 as a private university under the Private University Act 1992, with a vision to enhance the opportunities for higher education in Bangladesh. It's curriculum has been approved by The University Grants Commission of the Government of the People's Republic of Bangladesh. The university started it's operation, i.e. the first semester of classes in 1996, and offered four-year bachelor degree programs in Computer Science and Technology and Business Administration only. Now UAP offers undergraduate programs in English, Law, Architecture, Business Administration, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Computer Science and Engineering and Pharmacy.
UAP has been sponsored by University of Asia Pacific Foundation, a non-profit, non-commercial organization based in Dhaka, Bangladesh. The principal aim of the Foundation is to promote human and social development through, inter alia, improved educational opportunities, innovative educational programs relevant to the needs of an emerging society and to develop skills, know how and awareness of the youth through appropriate institutional means.
The foundation has been established by a group of eminent educationists, industrialists and administrators who share the same vision and social commitments. The University of Asia Pacific is the first project of the foundation aimed at realizing these noble goals.
- Bachelor of Architecture.
- Bachelor of Business Administration(BBA).
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering(CE).
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical and Electronics Engineering(EEE).
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and Engineering(CSE).
- Bachelor of Science in Mathematics.
- Bachelor of Pharmacy.
- Bachelor of Arts in English.
- Bachelor of Laws (Regular & External).
The Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering program has been accredited by the Board of Accreditation for Engineering and Technical Education in Bangladesh (BAETE). This enables the graduates to be members of the Institute of Engineers Bangladesh (IEB), a highly prestigious and the only government-approved professional body for engineers. The program has also been approved by Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET) for pursuing their MSc courses.
- Master of Science in Civil Engineering (MCE),
- Master of Business Administration (MBA & EMBA),
- MS in Pharmaceutical Technology (MS Pharm. Tech.),
- Master of Science in Computer Science & Engineering (MCSE),
- LL. M (Regular)
- LL. M (External)
Academic and research collaboration
UAP enjoys collaborative ties with a number of reputed foreign and national universities, institutions of higher education and research in foreign countries. UAP is currently running 3+1 degree programmes, i.e., students can complete their first three years at UAP and the final year at one of these universities. They can be awarded the degree from either of these institutions, which indicates the quality of teaching and research at this University.
- USA: The University of Baltimore, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, South Dakota School of Mines and Technology, Purdue University, De Vry University, etc.
- Canada: The University of Windsor
- Australia: The University of Western Sydney, University of Canberra
- Ireland: Griffith College of Dublin
- Japan: Port and Airport Research Institute (PARI), Japan Concrete Institute (JCI)
Under these collaborations, the first batch of BBA students has completed graduation at the University of Baltimore and batches of CE students have completed research programmes at PARI.
Institute of Energy, Environment and Development (IEED)
IEED is the multi-disciplinary research institute of the UAP. Professor Dr. Sekender Ali, Head, Department of Electrical & Electronic Engineering has been appointed as the Director of the IEED. By this time IEED has organized several seminars on Energy and Environment by nationally and internationally known speaker at the UAP. In this financial year taka 10 lacs has been sanctioned for research and development works for the institute.
Membership in national and international bodies
Several departments of UAP have been accredited by relevant professional bodies of the country and international institutions:
- Institute of Architects (IAB)
- Institute of Engineers, Bangladesh (IEB)
- Board of Accreditation for Engineering and Technical Education (BAETE), Bangladesh
- Pharmacy Council of Bangladesh
- UAP is the first Bangladeshi private university which has become a member of the Association of Commonwealth Universities, UK.
In fact, the Pharmacy and Civil Engineering departments of UAP were the first among private universities to earn such accreditations. UAP graduates are therefore eligible to be members of professional bodies like Institute of Engineers Bangladesh (IEB),Institute of Architects Bangladesh (IAB), Pharmacy Council, and several of them have already earned their memberships in these prestigious bodies. University of Asia Pacific is second Private university after Ahsanullah University of Science & Technology which has all Engineering Subject's accreditation of IEB.
Moreover, UAP is a member of the American Chamber of Commerce (AmCham), University of Asia Pacific Region, the Association of Universities of Asia and the Pacific and International Association of University Presidents (IAUP).
The campuses of this university spreads from Road#3/A to Road#7/A in Dhanmondi, Dhaka,1209.
The campus consists of nine rented premises -
1. Block "A" Department of Pharmacy & Admission Office House No. 73, Road No. 5/A, Dhanmondi, Dhaka
2. Block "B" Department of Business Administration & Exam Contoller Office House No. 84, Road No. 7/A, Dhanmondi, Dhaka
3. Block "C" Departments of Civil Engineering House No. 8, Road No.7, Dhanmondi, Dhaka
4. Block "D" Department of Computer Science and Engineering Department of Basic Sciences and Humanities House No. 52/1, Road No. 3/A, Dhanmondi, Dhaka
5. Block "E" Department of Architecture House No. 51 Road No. 4/A, Dhanmondi, Dhaka
6. Block "F" Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering Administration Office Accounts Section House No. 49/C Road No. 4/A, Dhanmondi, Dhaka
7. Block "G" Department of Law and Human Rights (L&HR) House No. 74, Road No. 5/A, Dhanmondi, Dhaka
8. Block "H" Central Library House No. 69/B, Road No. 6/A, Dhanmondi, Dhaka
9. Block "I" Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering House No. 51/1, Road No. 4/A, Dhanmondi, Dhaka
The buildings are just off the main Satmasjid Road and have lake site views. The campus offers idyllic environment for an academic institution. Plenty of open spaces are available around the campus for the students to move about for the rest and recreation.
The permanent City Campus is under construction at 74/A Green Road.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (January 2015)|
- University of Asia Pacific
- ARCHSOCIETY (Born in the lab of "The Department of Architecture" at "The University of Asia Pacific"