Independent University, Bangladesh
|Motto||TEACHETH MAN THAT WHICH HE KNEW NOT
(The motto is taken from the fifth verse of Sura Alak of the Quran)
|Endowment||Tk 15.80 million|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. M. Omar Ejaz Rahman|
|180 (full-time faculty), 76 (adjunct faculty). Total – 256|
|Students||More than 5,500 undergraduate and graduate students|
|Location||Bashundhara, Dhaka, Bangladesh|
|Campus||Plot 16, Block B, Aftabuddin Ahmed Road, Bashundhara R/A, 1229 Dhaka, Bangladesh.|
|Colors||Blue and Saffron|
|Affiliations||University Grants Commission Bangladesh|
Independent University, Bangladesh (Bengali: ইনডিপেন্ডেন্ট বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়) or IUB is a private university in Bangladesh. Its permanent campus is in Bashundhara, Dhaka. The university was established in 1993 by the Private University Act, 1992. is the leading private university in Bangladesh with an explicit focus on Research and Global partnerships. This is meritocratically elite university. The middle flame in the IUB logo represents the synthesis of the eastern and western traditions. It also conveys the idea of purity.
Schools and departments
- Dept. of Finance
- Dept. of General Management
- Dept. of Marketing
- Dept. of Management Information System
- Dept. of Human Resource Management
- Dept. of International Business
- Dept. of Economics
- School of Engineering and Computer Science
- Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering
- Dept. of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- Dept. of Physical Sciences
- School of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences (SLASS)
- Dept. of English
- Dept. of Media & Communication
- Dept. of Social Science & Humanities
- Dept. of Modern Languages
- Dept. of Law
- School of Life Sciences (SLS)
- Dept. of Microbiology
- Dept. of Biochemistry
- School of Environmental Science and Management
- Dept. of Environmental Science
- Dept. of Environment Management
- Dept. of Population Environment
- School of Public Health
Institutes, and centre
- International Centre for Climate Change and Development (ICCCAD)
- Centre for Health, Population and Development (CHPD)
- Centre for Social Science Research(CSSR)
- Bangla Language Institute (BLI)
- Bangla Summer Institute (BSI)
Study programmes for foreign students
- Live-in-Field Experience (LFE)
The programme is the annual participation of students from the United States. Every year American students under the sponsorship of Higher Education Consortium of Urban Affairs (HECUA), USA join IUB students and stay with them for two weeks in villages to study rural life.
- Bengali language programme
About 15-20 US students come annually to study Bengali language for a nine-week programme at IUB. The Bangla learning programme for US students has been started under the sponsorship of American Institute of Bangladesh Studies (AIBS).
- Internship programme
The university has a regular internship programme for foreign students on health and development.
Academic bunting and tassel color
|Light blue||School of Business|
|Orange||School of Engineering and Computer Science|
|Light Gold||School of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences|
|Green||School of Environmental Science & Management|
|Pink||School of Public Health|
- 16th convocation will be held on December 18, 2014, at IUB campus in Bashundhara R/A, Dhaka.
- 15th convocation was held on December 7, 2013, at Army Stadium in Dhaka.
- 14th convocation was held on September 20, 2012, at Bangabandhu International Conference Centre in Dhaka.
- 13th convocation with conferring degrees to 660 students was held on March 2, 2010, at Bangabandhu International Conference Centre in Dhaka.
- 12th convocation was held on June 15, 2008, at Bangladesh China Friendship Conference Centre in Dhaka.
- 11th convocation was held on July 15, 2007, at Bangladesh China Friendship Conference Centre in Dhaka.
- 10th convocation was held on June 12, 2006, at Bangladesh China Friendship Conference Centre in Dhaka.
- 9th convocation was held on June 11, 2005, at Bangladesh China Friendship Conference Centre in Dhaka.
- 7th convocation was held on June 7, 2003, at Bangladesh China Friendship Conference Centre in Dhaka.
- 6th convocation was held on June 9, 2002, at Bangladesh China Friendship Conference Centre in Dhaka.
Central Library of IUB is a gateway to information for students, faculty and staff. The library contains over 50,000 volumes and subscribes to over 1000 journals and periodicals. The library has online access to many databases, e.g. Emerald, Jstor, Oxford University Press Journal, Hinari, etc. All books and journals titles can be accessed through IUB library online databases. The Library is truly the heart of the Independent University, Bangladesh (IUB). It has been growing with the young university constantly serving the vibrant community of student and faculty since its inception. In 1993 the library launched in a room having around area of 850 sqft at House 8, Road 10, Baridhara, Dhaka and traveled to-days permanent address at Bashundhara as IUB Central Library where the library occupies three floors for stacking reading materials, accommodating readers in reading rooms and the library personnel at work places. The library emphasizes services to clients, at the same time trying to increase their self help-and self-service capacities. The library is the major contributor the university's aim of developing independent learners.
Its computer center provides online facilities to all students which is under fibre-optic network system. Its laboratory consists of five units: Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Environmental Science and Geographical Information Service (GIS) Lab.
In IUB, co-curricular activities organized by the Division of Student Activities (DoSA). The student community has numerous clubs such as
- Literary Society
- Debating Club (www.IUBDC.org)
- Science Society
- Business Students’ Society
- Social & Welfare Society
- Green Sphere
- Art Club
- Cricket Club
- Bangla Club
- Club of Engineering & Science
- Monte Carlo Informatics Club of Department of Environmental Science
- Independent Economic Society
- Environment Club of IUBC
- IUB Theater Club.
The University has established collaborations with following top universities and institutions abroad:
- Harvard University in Cambridge Massachusetts, USA
- Stanford University, USA
- McMaster University in Canada
- Brown University in Providence Rhode Island, USA
- University of Colorado at Boulder, USA
- Hemline University in ST.Paul, Minnesota, USA
- Southern Illinois University at Carbondale, USA
- Higher Education Consortium for Urban Affairs (HECUA) in Minnesota, USA
- Middlesex University in the UK
- University of South Australia (UniSA), Australia
- Griffith College, Dublin (GCD), Ireland
- Pokhana University, Nepal
- Can Tho University, Vietnam
- American Association of University Administrators, USA
- Association of University of Asia and Pacific, Thailand
- International Association of University, France
- International Association of University Presidents, UK
- Council of American Overseas Research Centers, USA
- IUB at a glance, Information about the University, retrieved 2007-01-24
- Private University Act, 1992, retrieved 2007-06-17
- IUB at a glance, Information about the University, retrieved 2007-09-07
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Independent University, Bangladesh.|