University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences
|University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Lahore|
|Established||8th June, 2002(1882)|
|Type||Education and research|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Dr. Talat Naseer Pasha|
|Campus||City Campus, near Civil Lines, Lahore, Ravi Campus, Pattoki and sub-campus, Jhang|
|Website||University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences|
The University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences (UVAS), located in Lahore, Pakistan, was established in 2002 by upgrading the College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Lahore, which was established in 1882.
The university comprises five faculties, three institutes, five directorates, hospitals, and library management and administration departments. The new campus of UVAS, scattered over 900 acres (3.6 km2) in three blocks, will have a main setup in Block A, Block B is dedicated to Ruminants, Block C Fisheries and Wildlife. The academic, research and supporting services blocks, dairy and poultry farms, processing units for milk, meat and feed, Clinical Centrum for all species, libraries, auditorium, sports facilities, 20-bed hospital, school and residences are all under development.
Dr. Syed Wajid H. Pirzada,an alumnus of College of Veterinary Sciences, Lahore first introduced and then developed the concept of UVAS into a project.
CVAS Jhang is an initiative for veterinary education under the University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences Lahore. The permanent building of CVAS Jhang is under construction.
A veterinary teaching hospital is established.
Permanent CVAS location is near Chenab College 13 km Chiniot road Jhang.
- Faculty of Biosciences,
- Faculty of Veterinary Science,
- Faculty of Animal Production & Technology,
- Department of Dairy Technology , Philosopher Aziz a famous student of UVAS and Dairy Technology.
- Department of Meat Technology
- Faculty of Fisheries & Wildlife,
- Faculty of Life Sciences Business Management,
- Institute of Continuing Education & Extension,
- Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences,
- Institute of Biochemistry & Biotechnology,
- Bioequivalence Study (BeSt) Center
- Pet Center
- Information Technology center
- College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Jhang
The University offers following undergraduate degree programs.
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) (5 Year)
- Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm-D) (5 Year)
- BS (Hons.) Dairy Technology
- BS (Hons.) Poultry Science
- BS (Hons.) Applied Zoology
- BS (Hons.) Biotechnology
- BS (Hons.) Biochemistry
- BS (Hons.) Applied Microbiology
- BS (Hons.) Nutrition & Dietetics
- BS (Hons.) Environmental Sciences
- BBA (Hons)
The University offers following Master level degree programs.
- MBA (Executive)(Evening) (2 Year)
- MBA Life Sciences (3.5 Year)
- MBA Banking & Finance (3.5 Year)
- M.Sc Zoology (2 Year)
The following Postgraduate degree programs (M.Phil & Ph.D) are offered in different disciplines. The number of students has increased from 650 in 2003 to 4000 in 2011.
M.Phil (23 Disciplines)
1. Microbiology 2. Pathology 3. Parasitology 4. Threiongenology 5. Clinical Medicine and Surgery (Medicine) 6. Clinical Medicine and Surgery (Surgery) 7. Epidemiology and Public Health 8. Food and Nutrition (Animal Nutrition) 9. Food and Nutrition (Human Nutrition) 10. Poultry Production 11. Livestock Production (Animal Breeding and Genetics) 12. Livestock Production (Livestock Management) 13. Dairy Technology 14. Pharmacology 15. Physiology 16. Anatomy and Histology 17. Wildlife and Ecology 18. Fisheries and Aquaculture 19. Molecular Biology and Biotechnology 20. Biochemistry 21. Forensic Sciences 22. Bioinformatics 23. Pharmaceutical Sciences
Ph.D (20 Disciplines)
1. Microbiology 2. Pathology 3. Parasitology 4. Threiongenology 5. Clinical Medicine and Surgery (Medicine) 6. Epidemiology and Public Health 7. Food and Nutrition (Animal Nutrition) 8. Food and Nutrition (Human Nutrition) 9. Poultry Production 10. Livestock Production (Animal Breeding and Genetics) 11. Livestock Production (Livestock Management) 12. Dairy Technology 13. Pharmacology 14. Physiology 15. Anatomy and Histology 16. Wildlife and Ecology 17. Fisheries and Aquaculture 18. Molecular Biology and Biotechnology 19. Biochemistry 20. Bioinformatics
Sub-campus UVAS, Lahore
- College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences (CVAS) Jhang
The College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences (CVAS) Jhang is a sub-campus of the University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Lahore. This college (sub-campus) was established in 2006. A 75 acre area was transferred to CVAS located at 8 km on Jhang- Chaniot road near to Chenab College, Jhang. Since the release of Budget from the Provincial Government, the construction is going on at the site including the academic complex, boys and girls hostels, and residences for employees.
The founder Principal of the college is Prof. (Retd)Dr. Ashiq Hussain Cheema, who is a Veterinary Pathologist. After the tenure of Prof. Cheema the (current) principal became Veterinary Pathologist Prof. Dr. Muhammad Younus.
Total reserved seats for admission in CVAS are 62. 10% females are allowed to seek admission in the institute in a DVM (5 years composite degree program). Two batches have successfully passed DVM. At present the college campus is shifted to permanent campus and PVMC recognized
The College of Veterinary & Animal Sciences (CV&AS),Jhang was established in 2006 as constituent part of University of Veterinary & Animal Sciences (UVAS),Lahore.