|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2009)|
|Product type||Vegetable juice|
|Owner||Campbell Soup Company|
V8 Vegetable Juice is a trademark name for beverage products sold worldwide and made from either eight vegetables or a mixture of vegetables and fruits. The brand is owned by the Campbell Soup Company.
The original V8 got its name from the fact that it contained the juices of eight different vegetables, as well as being a reference to the V8 engine.
V8 vegetable juice
The original V8 is made mainly from water and tomato concentrate, and reconstituted vegetable juice blend: water and concentrate of eight vegetables, specifically: beets, celery, carrots, lettuce, parsley, watercress, spinach, and tomato. Tomato juice comprises around 87% of the total drink. Campbell's has produced several varieties of the drink, such as Original, Spicy Hot, Lemon, Picante, Roasted Chicken, Low-Sodium, and Organic. Two spin-offs of the V8 brand, "V8 Splash", and "V8 V•Fusion", are blends of fruit and vegetable (specifically carrot) juices. V8 Splash is sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup and Sucralose or just Splenda in Diet V8 Splash, while V•Fusion is made from 100% juice and contains a daily serving of both fruits and vegetables per 8 fl oz (240 mL) glass.
V8 Vegetable Juice was developed by W.G. Peacock (1896–1948), the founder of the New England Products Company, which manufactured individual vegetable juices under the brand name Vege-min. Having had only mediocre sales success, in 1933 Peacock began blending the Vege-min juices into one product and selling this new concoction as "Vege-min 8". A grocer in Evanston, Illinois, recommended that he shorten the name to simply "V-8". In 1948, the Campbell Soup Company acquired the brand, and has maintained continuous production of the beverage through the present day.
V8 fruit & vegetable juice
In countries such as the UK and Australia, Campbell's also makes V8 100% Fruit & Vegetable Juice, combining vegetable juice with fruit juices for one serving of vegetables and one serving of fruits. This is available elsewhere as V8 V-Fusion. They are also sold in "light" versions containing 50% juice (1/2 serving of vegetables and 1/2 serving of fruits) with added flavors to reduce calorie content. V8 V-Fusion + Tea was recently introduced. It contains a 1/2 serving of vegetables and a 1/2 serving of fruits.
Some varieties are composed of:
- Strawberry Banana: Sweet Potatoes, Tomatoes, Carrots, Beets, White Grapes, Oranges, Apples, Strawberries, Bananas and Banana Puree.
- Pomegranate Blueberry: Sweet Potatoes, Purple Carrots, Tomatoes, Carrots, Apples, White Grapes.
- Tropical Orange: Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Yellow Tomatoes, Squash, White Grapes, Oranges, Pineapples.
- Peach Mango: Sweet Potatoes, Yellow Tomatoes, Squash, White Grapes, Oranges, Peaches, Mangoes.
- Acai Mixed Berry: Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Apples, White Grapes, Acai Berries, Blueberries, Limes.
- Cranberry Blackberry: Sweet Potatoes, Purple Carrots, Carrots, Apples, White Grapes, Cranberry, Blackberry, Lemon Juice.
- Goji Raspberry: Sweet Potatoes, Purple Carrots, Carrots, Apples, White Grapes, Cherries, Strawberries, Blackberry, Oranges, Goji, Red Raspberry, Lemon Juice.
The Australian flavour variants are Tropical, Melon Burst, Citrus Splash, Apple, Carrot & Ginger, and Apple Plum Fusion.
Other varieties include V8 Splash.
Example nutrition information for V8 Vegetable Juice:
|Servings per package: 1|
|Serving size: 250 ml|
|Average qty per serving||Average qty per 100 g|
|Energy||165 kJ (40 cal)||66 kJ (16 cal)|
|Protein||2.4 g||1.0 g|
|- Total||6.3 g||2.5 g|
|- Sugars||6.3 g||2.5 g|
|Sodium||660 mg||263 mg|
|Vitaming A||325 µg (40%)^||130 µg|
|Vitamin C||52 mg (130%)^||21 mg|
|Serving Size 1 can|
|Amount Per Serving|
|Energy 70 cal (290 kJ)||Calories from Fat 0|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0 g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0 g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 0 mg||0%|
|Sodium 600 mg||25%|
|Potassium 670 mg||19%|
|Total Carbohydrate 14 g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Sugars 11 g|
|Protein 3 g|
- Wow, It Sure Doesn't Taste like Tomato Juice! (1960s)
- Drink V8 & Keep Your Diet Straight! (1990s-present)
- Drink Smarter with V8. (2000-present –2005)
- Drink It. Feel It. (2003–2004)
- Could've Had a V8. (1980s, 2007–present)
- What's Your Number? (2008–present)
- "V8 FAQ", V8 Beverages website, retrieved 2009-08-20
- "Is V8 Original Vegetable Juice Good For You?". SnackCheck. Retrieved 3 March 2012.
- "V8 Fusion Light Juice, Peach Mango, 46-Ounce Bottles (Pack of 8): Product Description." Amazon.com.
- "V8 V-Fusion Juices." V8.
- Campbell's Australia -V8 Juices - V8 Vegetable Juice
- Product Sample; 11.5 oz can
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to V8 (beverage).|