3 October 1961 |
|Known for||Omnitel Pronto Italia COO
RCS MediaGroup CEO
|Bio at Vodafone|
He started his career at investment bank Morgan Stanley in London. He joined the Milan office of McKinsey & Co in 1986, where as a Partner he worked on media, telecommunications and industrial goods sectors and was responsible for office recruitment.
In 1996 he joined Omnitel Pronto Italia, rising to Chief Operating Officer before its take over to become Vodafone Italy. He became Regional CEO, Southern Europe in 2001 and joined the main board of Vodafone Group Plc's in 2002. After missing out on the CEO's job, taken by his friend Arun Sarin, and having a purchase of a Bulgarian mobile company blocked, he left Vodafone for Italian publishing company RCS MediaGroup, where he became CEO in July 2004.
After shareholder criticism of the publishing group's strategy and governance, he resigned from RCS MediaGroup following the company's board meeting of September 12, rejoining Vodafone on 9 October 2006 as CEO Europe and succeeding Sir Julian Horn-Smith as Deputy-CEO.
Commenting to the Italian press in 2007 that he had no interest in taking the CEO's job at Telecom Italia, Colao succeeded Vodafone CEO Arun Sarin on 29 July 2008. Colao's compensation from Vodafone in 2009 included his annual salary of €932,000, and a bonus of €881,000. Combined with other payments the total was €2,264,000.
- "Vodafone Announces New Chief Executive". Vodafone. 2008-05-27. Retrieved 2008-05-27.
- Wearden, Graeme (2008-05-27). "Vittorio Colao: from Brescia to the top of Vodafone". The Guardian. Retrieved 2008-05-27.
- Lindsay, Robert (2008-05-27). "Who is Colao?". London: The Times. Retrieved 2008-05-27.
- "Vittorio Colao (86-96 MIL) New CEO of RCS MediaGroup". McKinsey & Co. 2004-06-23. Retrieved 2008-05-27.
- "RCS CEO resigns after shareholder criticisms". Forbes/AFX News. 2006-07-21. Retrieved 2008-05-27.
- "Vodafone Names Vittorio Colao European Region Ceo". Dow Jones. 2006-09-06. Retrieved 2008-05-27.
- Blackden, Richard (2008-05-27). "Vittorio Colao fends off Vodafone competition". The Telegraph. Retrieved 2008-05-27.
- "Vittorio Colao Profile". Forbes.com. Forbes. Retrieved 13 August 2009.
|This business-related Italian biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|