"Power To You"
|Founded||1995 as Omnitel Pronto-Italia
2003 rebranded Vodafone Italia
|Headquarters||Milan and Ivrea (operations) Italy, Amsterdam (legal) Netherlands|
|Key people||Paolo Bertoluzzo, CEO
Pietro Guindani, Chairman
|Products||Vodafone Special, Vodafone Scegli Tu Ricaricabile, Relax, Scegli Unlimited (Under 30), Smart Passport, Vodafone My Country, Mobile Internet, Rete Sicura, Vodafone YOU, Vodafone SmartPass, Vodafone Wallet - Fixed line services: Fibre, ADSL and telephone|
|Revenue||46,4 billions £|
|Net income||7 billions £|
|Owners||Vodafone Group Plc (100%)|
Vodafone Omnitel BV (former Omnitel Pronto-Italia, now branded Vodafone Italia) is an Italian telephony company (even though it is legally resident in the Netherlands), which has approximately 32,000,000 mobile customers with a market share of 32.8% (placing itself just behind TIM) and 2,800,000 customers on fixed lines with a market share of 7.9% (behind Telecom Italia and Infostrada). Vodafone Italia is a fully owned subsidiary of Vodafone Group plc (100.00%). In September 2013, it was announced that Vodafone would buy Verizon's stake for consideration of $3.5 billion.
Network and coverage
- GSM/GPRS: 99.7% of the population, 98% of the territory
- UMTS/HSDPA: > 2500 cities (75% of population)
- LTE: > 2500 cities (75% of population)
- LTE-A/4G+: > 80 cities at 225Mbps: BERGAMO, BRESCIA, Cinisello Balsamo, Cologno Monzese, Ivrea, MILANO, MONZA, PAVIA, Sesto San Giovanni, TORINO, TREVISO, VARESE, Acireale, Afragola, Alba Adriatica, Andria, Anzio, Aprilia, Ardea, Arezzo, Arzachena, AVELLINO, BARI, BENEVENTO, CAGLIARI, Calenzano, Campomarino, CARRARA, Cascina, CATANIA, CATANZARO, Cecina, Civitavecchia, Conversano, Corigliano Calabro, COSENZA, CROTONE, FIRENZE, Fiumicino, FOGGIA, Forte dei Marmi, Frascati, Giardini-Naxos, Gioia Tauro, Giugliano in Campania, Giulianova, GROSSETO, Guidonia Montecelio, Ladispoli, LATINA, LIVORNO, LUCCA, Domus De Maria, MATERA, MESSINA, NAPOLI, OLBIA, Orosei, Ostuni, Otranto, Palau, PALERMO, PERUGIA, PISA, PISTOIA, Pozzuoli, RAGUSA, REGGIO CALABRIA, ROMA, SALERNO, San Benedetto del Tronto, San Felice Circeo, Santa Teresa di Gallura, SASSARI, Taormina, TARANTO, Termoli, Terracina, TRAPANI, Vaiano, Viareggio.
In December 1995, Omnitel Pronto-Italia launched its services in Italy. Omnitel was a mobile operator and Infostrada (today owned by Wind) was a fixed-line operator. They belonged to Olivetti and represented the first telephone alternative to monopolists TIM and Telecom Italia.
Original majority owner Olivetti sold its interest in Omnitel and Infostrada to the German consortium Mannesmann (which had been a minority shareholder since 1997) after Olivetti took control of Telecom Italia, and thus TIM, in 1999. Mannesmann took control of Omnitel with a 53.7% equity stake.
The following year, Vodafone purchased Mannesmann, thus taking control of Omnitel. The Vodafone brand was introduced as Omnitel-Vodafone in 2001, made the primary brand as Vodafone-Omnitel in 2002; finally the current name Vodafone Italia was introduced in 2003, dropping "Omnitel" altogether. Vodafone Italy introduced the new Speechmark Logo only on 10 June 2007.
The company slogan varies from that of the international Vodafone campaign (Make the most of now) and is Life is NOW. The company website was known as 190.it as 190 is the customer care number for Vodafone Italy. Starting from July 2008, the company URL has been changed from "190.it" to "vodafone.it". The company's spokesmodel from 1999 to 2006, for both Omnitel and Vodafone, was Australian model Megan Gale.
Since taking over the company, Vodafone has introduced its suite of services in Italy, such as Vodafone live! and UTMS/HSPDA services, and has collaborated in partnership to launch of Mobile virtual network operators for other corporations.
- Un' australiana di 23 anni la ragazza dello spot con i tasti del telefonino come impronte digitali, Page 19 (16 april 1999) - by Veneziani Maria Teresa, Corriere della Sera
- [dead link]