|Founded||16 May 2008|
|Key people||René Obermann (CEO)|
|Revenue||€ 1,536.9 million (2012)|
|Net income||€ 192.8 million (2012)|
|Employees||2,502 FTE (2012)|
|Parent||Liberty Global Plc|
The company is the result of the merger between Multikabel, @Home Network, and Casema and launched officially on 16 May 2008. Its main competitors are KPN and CanalDigitaal. The other major Dutch cable operator is UPC Netherlands, which does not compete with Ziggo since their respective coverage areas do not overlap.
In March 2013 Liberty Global acquired a 12.65% stake in Ziggo. This increased to 15% in April and 28.5% in July. On 27 January 2014 Liberty Global announced that it would be acquiring all remaining shares in Ziggo for € 10 billion. The takeover will be subject to regulatory approval and was expected to close by the second quarter of 2014, when Ziggo was expected to merge with UPC Netherlands. In May 2014 the European Commission announced opening an in-depth investigation to assess whether the proposed acquisition of Ziggo by Liberty Global is in line with the EU Merger Regulation. The opening of an in-depth inquiry does not prejudge the outcome of the investigation. The European Commission has time until 17 October 2014 to take a decision. If Liberty Global’s bid to take over Ziggo is successful, the UPC brand will disappear in the Netherlands.
Ziggo offers analog and digital cable television to 2.784 million subscribers of which 2.304 million watch digital. In recent years the number of analogue channels has been reduced to make more bandwidth available for digital HD channels.
Analogue and digital
Basic service is called TV Standaard and includes both analogue and digital channels, consists of about 60 digital (including 12 HD) and 25 analogue television channels, as well as 60 digital radio channels. It consists of all the major Dutch networks and some of the main networks of neighbouring countries. Additional TV and radio channels are available through "TV Plus" and "TV Extra" packages. Every package comes with Music Choice and XLnt Radio which offer 35 additional radio channels, as well as interactive video on demand services.
Ziggo offers 30 HD channels include National Geographic Channel HD, Discovery HD, HBO HD & History HD. Two come with the subscriptions of premium film and sport services Film1 HD and Sport1 HD. The rest are part of basic service.
Nederland 1 HD was temporarily available from 1 June until August 2008 to bring Euro 2008, 2008 Tour de France and the 2008 Summer Olympics in HD, the rest of the time will be an upscaled version of its parent channel.
Most of the programming in the early stages consists of upscaled versions of their parent channels as in time more programs will become available in HD.
The digital television signal uses the DVB-C standard. Most standard-definition channels are encoded in MPEG-2 and most high-definition channels in H.264/MPEG-4 AVC. All channels are encrypted with Irdeto2 and require an activated smart card to be decrypted. Customers can buy a certified set-top box or Integrated Digital Television with embedded Irdeto CA, which are sold by Ziggo and consumer electronic retailers. Additionally customers can buy any television with a DVB-C tuner and CI+ support with a Ziggo compatible conditional-access module.
Ziggo offers broadband Internet access to 1.948 million subscribers in the following subscription forms:
|Subscription form||Download speed||Upload speed||Monthly cost|
|TV + Internet Z1||30 Mbit/s||3 Mbit/s||€ 29.95|
|TV + Internet Z2||90 Mbit/s||9 Mbit/s||€ 49.95|
|TV + Internet Z3||180 Mbit/s||18 Mbit/s||€ 59.95|
|Alles-in-1 Basis||30 Mbit/s||3 Mbit/s||€ 44.95|
|Alles-in-1 Plus||90 Mbit/s||9 Mbit/s||€ 54.95|
|Alles-in-1 Extra||180 Mbit/s||18 Mbit/s||€ 64.95|
With the introduction of EuroDOCSIS 3.0 across the broadband Internet network download speeds have been increased up to 180 Mbit/s except in areas where the network has not been adapted to the EuroDOCSIS 3.0 standard. The latest general speed increase was in May 2014.
Ziggo has 1.627 million subscribers to their land-line telephone services. It also offers a virtual mobile phone service.
Ziggo has 1.558 million triple play subscribers. Of these subscribers the majority are subscribed to Alles-in-1 cable television, broadband internet and telephone service bundles.
- Digital television in the Netherlands
- Internet in the Netherlands
- List of cable companies in the Netherlands
- Television in the Netherlands
- Ziggo Dome
- Ziggo Bond Company B.V. (2013). "Ziggo NV Annual Report 2012" (in English). Retrieved 2013-04-17.
- Gertjan Groen (2008-01-29). "Kabelbedrijf Zesko verder onder de naam Ziggo". Telecomwereld.nl (in Dutch). Retrieved 2008-05-15.
- "Ziggo Investor Relations". Ziggo.com. Retrieved 2011-12-23.
- Cinven and Warburg Pincus plan to further reduce stake in Ziggo N.V.
- Cinven and Warburg Pincus have further reduced stake in Ziggo N.V.
- Briel, Robert (2013-04-29). "Cinven, Warburg Pincus exit Ziggo". Broadband TV News. Retrieved 2014-01-27.
- Briel, Robert (2013-03-28). "Liberty Global acquires 12.65% stake in Ziggo". Broadband TV News. Retrieved 2014-01-27.
- Briel, Robert (2013-07-28). "Liberty Global increases stake in Ziggo to 28.5%". Broadband TV News. Retrieved 2014-01-27.
- "Liberty Global to Acquire Ziggo Strategic combination creates national Dutch cable operator". Ziggo.com. 2014-01-26. Retrieved 2014-01-26.
- Briel, Robert (2014-01-27). "Liberty Global to acquire Ziggo for €10bn". Broadband TV News. Retrieved 2014-01-27.
- Briel, EC Press Relaese (2014-05-18). "Mergers: Commission opens in-depth investigation into proposed acquisition of Dutch cable operator Ziggo by Liberty Global". European Commissions. Retrieved 2014-05-18.
- Briel, Robert (2014-01-27). "UPC brand to disappear in the Netherlands". Broadband TV News. Retrieved 2014-01-27.
- Ziggo 2013 Q1 results
- Ziggo Key Operating Figures FY 2009 − Q3 2013
- "Nederland 1, 2 en 3 in 2009 deels in HDTV". Broadcast Magazine (in Dutch). 2008-05-12. Retrieved 2008-05-16.
- JK (2009-06-16). "Nederlandse Publieke Omroep dicht bij start HDTV". TotaalTV (in Dutch). SBS Broadcasting. Retrieved 2009-06-03.
- ziggo.nl (Dutch)
- ziggo.com Corporate website Ziggo (English)
- ziggo-gebruikers.nl Ziggo Gebruikers Forum (Dutch)
- Ziggo N.V. Q1 2014 results