|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2014)|
|Wholly owned subsidiary of PLDT|
|Founded||Manila, Philippines (1991)|
|Headquarters||6799 Ayala Avenue, Makati City, Philippines|
|Manuel V. Pangilinan, Chairman
Napoleon L. Nazareno, President and CEO
|Revenue||PHP 93.4 billion (11%)
($2.12 billion) (2007)
|PHP 30.7 billion (1%)
($700.6 million) (2007)
|Parent||Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company|
|Slogan||Live More (since 2012)|
As of May 2014, combined subscriber base of Smart, Talk 'n Text and Sun Cellular reached 70.7 million customers.
Smart introduced the first 4G Service in the Philippines. It also provides 2G, 3G, 3.5G HSPA+, 4G LTE services, WiMax, and an SMS-based money remittance system. Smart has 10,509 operating cell sites, 13,149 cellular/mobile broadband base stations, and 2,806 fixed wireless broadband-enabled base stations.
Anticipating the liberalization of the telecommunications industry in the Philippines in 1992, Smart (then named Smart Information Technology, Inc.) was organized in January 24, 1991 by a group of Filipino investors led by Orlando B. Vea and David T. Fernando.
The Company obtained its congressional franchise in April 1992 and was granted a provisional authority to operate a mobile cellular service in May 1993. In December 1993, Smart commenced commercial operations of its cellular service.
By then, Smart had drawn in partners. These were: First Pacific, a Hong Kong-based conglomerate through its Philippine flagship Metro Pacific Investments Corporation and Nippon Telegraph and Telephone of Japan (NTT).
In compliance with the government’s telecommunications program, Smart established a local exchange service in the cities and provinces assigned to it under the “service area scheme.” The Company also obtained licenses to provide international gateway, paging and inter-carrier transmission services. 
On March 24, 2000, PLDT completed its share-swap acquisition of Smart, making Smart a 100%-owned PLDT subsidiary.
In December 5, 2016 Smart Communications became a member of Conexus Mobile Alliance for international roaming.
- Smart Broadband Inc.
- PLDT Communication and Energy Ventures, Inc
- Primeworld Digital Systems, Inc.
- Wolfpac Mobile, Inc.
- Wireless Card Inc.
- Smarthub, Inc.
- Smart Money Holdings Corporation (SMHC) 
- Smart Money, Inc. (owned through SMHC) 
- Far East Capital Limited 
- Philippines Communications Holdings Corporation 
- Francom Holdings, Inc.
- Chikka Holdings Limited 
- Smarthub Pte. Ltd.
- SmartConnect Global Pte. Ltd.
- 3rd Brand Pte. Ltd.
- Voyager Innovations Inc.
|2001–2006||SMART: Simply Amazing!|
|2004–2006||I Love SMART|
|2006–2007||Dahil SMART Tayo|
|2007–2008||SMART: The Power to Lead|
|2011||Let's Make Life Extraordinary|
|2011–2012||In an ever-changing world, We lead you to a bold, new future.|
|2012–present||SMART: LIVE MORE|
- Talk 'N Text
- Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters (Philippine Basketball Association basketball team)
- Global United Football League (Philippines) (football team)
- Sullivan, Nicholas P. (2007). You Can Hear Me Now: How Microloans and Cell Phones are Connecting the World's Poor To the Global Economy. John Wiley & Sons. p. 123. ISBN 9780787994631.
- "Smart to Launch First 4G Service in the Philippines This Weekend". TechinAsia. August 21, 2012. Retrieved 2014-06-07.
- "Smart's phone-based remittance system in the Philippines". Global Economic Prospects 2006: Economic Implications of Remittances and Migration. World Bank Publications. 2006. p. 150. ISBN 9780821363454.
- "Corporate Profile - Smart Communications". Retrieved 2014-06-07.
- "About Smart Communication". elitefavors.net. June 14, 2010. Retrieved 2014-06-07.
- "PLDT General Information Sheet" (Press release). 8 May 2013. Retrieved 19 June 2013.