|WEC 39: Brown vs. Garcia|
|Promotion||World Extreme Cagefighting|
|Date||March 1, 2009|
|Venue||American Bank Center|
|City||Corpus Christi, Texas|
WEC 39: Brown vs. Garcia was a mixed martial arts event held by World Extreme Cagefighting that took place on March 1, 2009 in Corpus Christi, Texas. The event aired live on the Versus Network. WEC Featherweight Champion Mike Brown made his first title defense against number one contender Leonard Garcia at this event.
An originally announced title fight rematch between WEC Welterweight Champion Carlos Condit and challenger Brock Larson was cancelled when Larson suffered an injury in training. It was then announced that following this event, the WEC would dissolve their welterweight division into the UFC.
Richard Crunkilton was scheduled to face Bart Palaszewski at this event in what was originally slated to be a WEC Lightweight Championship title eliminator. However, Crunkilton was pulled from the bout due to an injury and was replaced by WEC newcomer Ricardo Lamas.
Justin Haskins was originally slated to face WEC newcomer Douglas Lima at this event, but Lima was forced out of the event due to delays in getting paperwork from the U.S. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services. Lima was replaced by fellow WEC newcomer Mike Pierce.
|Bantamweight||Mike Brown (c)||def||Leonard Garcia||submission (arm-triangle choke)||1||1:57||[a]|
|Lightweight||Ricardo Lamas||def||Bart Palaszewski||unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)||3||5:00|
|Featherweight||José Aldo||def||Chris Mickle||TKO (punches)||1||1:39|
|Lightweight||Rob McCullough||def||Marcus Hicks||majority decision (29-29, 30–27, 29-28)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Danny Castillo||def||Phil Cardella||split decision (30-27, 28-29, 29-28)||3||5:00|
|Bantamweight||Damacio Page||def||Marcos Galvao||KO (punches)||1||0:18||[b]|
|Welterweight||Johny Hendricks||def||Alex Serdyukov||unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)||3||5:00|
|Bantamweight||Kenji Osawa||def||Rafael Rebello||split decision (29-28, 29-28, 27-30)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Alex Karalexis||def||Greg McIntyre||TKO (punches)||1||4:19|
|Featherweight||John Franchi||def||Mike Budnik||split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Mike Pierce||def||Justin Haskins||TKO (punches)||3||3:39|
- For the Featherweight Championship.
- This bout was featured on the main broadcast.
Fighters were awarded $7,500 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: Johny Hendricks vs. Alex Serdyukov
- Knockout of the Night: Damacio Page
- Submission of the Night: Mike Brown
- "Crunkilton injured, replacement Lamas meets Palaszewski at WEC 39". MMAJunkie. February 25, 2009. Retrieved March 21, 2012.
- "Mike Pierce replaces Douglas Lima in WEC 39 bout with Justin Haskins". MMAJunkie. February 12, 2009. Retrieved March 21, 2012.
- "WEC 39: Brown vs. Garcia review". The Sports Oratory. June 28, 2009. Retrieved November 3, 2011.
- "WEC 39 bonuses worth $7,500 go to Hendricks, Serdyukov, Page and Brown". mmajunkie.com. 201099-03-02.