|WEC 47: Bowles vs. Cruz|
|Promotion||World Extreme Cagefighting|
|Date||March 6, 2010|
The only WEC event held in Ohio, WEC 47 coincided with the Arnold Sports Festival, which annually draws up to 150,000 sports fans to Columbus, Ohio. Previously, the UFC held three cards – UFC 68, UFC 82 and UFC 96 – in Columbus during this festival.
Bryan Caraway was expected to face Fredson Paixao at this event, but was replaced by Courtney Buck after injuring his knee. The Paixao/Caraway bout was rescheduled for WEC 50 that August, where Paixao won via split decision.
This was the last WEC event to feature announcer Joe Martinez as the regular ring announcer, due to family reasons and to focus full-time on his work with Golden Boy Promotions. Martinez later made a one-off return at WEC 52, as his replacement Bruce Buffer was in Germany to announce UFC 122.
- Lamas defeated Casimir via KO (knee) at 3:43 of round 1.
- Paixão defeated Buck via technical submission (rear-naked choke) at 2:39 of round 1.
- Garcia and Roop fought to a split draw. The judges scored the bout 29–27, 27–29 and 28–28. A point deduction was given to Roop for a shot to the groin of Garcia.
- Pettis defeated Castillo via KO (head kick and punches) at 2:17 of round 1. This bout was aired on the live broadcast.
- Mendes defeated Koch via unanimous decision (30–27, 30–27, 30–27).
- Jorgensen defeated George via submission (guillotine choke) at 0:31 of round 1. This bout was aired on the live broadcast.
- Palaszewski defeated Darabedyan via submission (armbar) at 4:40 of round 1.
- Davis defeated Taurosevičius via majority decision (29–28, 29–28, 29–29).
- Vazquez defeated Pulver via submission (armbar) at 3:41 of round 1.
- Benavidez defeated Torres via submission (guillotine choke) at 2:57 of round 2.
- Cruz defeated Bowles via TKO (injury) at 5:00 of round 2 to become the new WEC Bantamweight Champion.
Fighters were awarded $10,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: Leonard Garcia vs. George Roop
- Knockout of the Night: Anthony Pettis
- Submission of the Night: Joseph Benavidez
The following is the reported payout to the fighters as reported to the Ohio Athletic Commission. It does not include sponsor money or "locker room" bonuses often given by the WEC and also do not include the WEC's traditional "fight night" bonuses.
- Dominick Cruz: $18,000 (includes $9,000 win bonus) def. Brian Bowles: $12,000
- Joseph Benavidez: $29,000 ($14,500 win bonus) def. Miguel Torres: $26,000
- Javier Vazquez: $12,000 ($6,000 win bonus) def. Jens Pulver: $14,000
- LC Davis: $18,000 ($9,000 win bonus) def. Deividas Taurosevičius: $9,000
- Bart Palaszewski: $12,000 ($6,000 win bonus) def. Karen Darabedyan: $4,000
- Scott Jorgensen: $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus) def. Chad George: $3,000
- Chad Mendes: $8,000 ($4,000 win bonus) def. Erik Koch: $3,000
- Anthony Pettis: $6,000 ($3,000 win bonus) def. Danny Castillo: $9,500
- Leonard Garcia: $14,000 vs. George Roop: $3,000 ^
- Fredson Paixao: $4,000 ($2,000 win bonus) def. Courtney Buck: $3,000
- Ricardo Lamas: $10,000 ($5,000 win bonus) def. Bendy Casimir $3,000
^ Both fighters earned show money; bout declared split draw.
- "WEC 47 attendance fifth-highest in WEC history, Columbus return likely in 2011". mmajunkie.com. March 7, 2010.
- "WEC 47 draws $401,000 live gate". mmajunkie.com. March 16, 2010.
- "WEC: Bowles vs. Cruz". wec.tv. Retrieved December 15, 2009.
- "It's Official! WEC 47 set for Columbus, Ohio on March 6th". watchkalibrun.com. December 14, 2009.
- "Injury forces Diego Nunes to withdraw from WEC 47 on March 6 in Columbus". mmamania.com. February 18, 2010.
- "George Roop tapped as late replacement, faces Leonard Garcia at WEC 47". mmajunkie.com. February 20, 2010.
- "Courtney Buck replaces injured Brian Caraway, WEC 47 fight card now complete". mmajunkie.com. February 11, 2010.
- "Announcer Joe Martinez Leaves WEC". mmafighting.com. May 18, 2010.
- "WEC 47 bonuses: Garcia, Roop, Pettis and Benavidez each earn $10K awards". mmajunkie.com. 2010-03-07.
- "WEC 47 Salaries: Joseph Benavidez Leads With $29,000". mmafighting.com. Retrieved March 8, 2010.