|WEC 53: Henderson vs. Pettis|
|Promotion||World Extreme Cagefighting|
|Date||December 16, 2010|
WEC 53: Henderson vs. Pettis was a mixed martial arts event held by World Extreme Cagefighting that took place on December 16, 2010 at Jobing.com Arena in the Phoenix suburb of Glendale, Arizona. The event was the first time that Zuffa has hosted an event in Arizona. This was the final WEC event, due to the merger with the UFC.
This event was unique in that the WEC and AMP Energy allowed fans to choose the location of the event. The fans were given 30 options and the finalists were Milwaukee, Nashville and Phoenix. During the live telecast of WEC 50, Phoenix was announced as the winner of the contest.
Maciej Jewtuszko was expected to face Ricardo Lamas at this event, but Jewtuszko had to withdraw as he suffered a broken hand during training. Jewtuszko was replaced by WEC newcomer Yuri Alcantara.
UFC Lightweight title eliminator
The winner of the WEC Lightweight Championship fight between reigning champion Ben Henderson and challenger Anthony Pettis was scheduled to face the winner of the UFC 125 Frankie Edgar (C) vs. Gray Maynard title fight in order to unify the WEC and UFC lightweight championships. However, the Edgar/Maynard fight ended in a draw necessitating a UFC 136 rematch (which Edgar won). Though Anthony Pettis won the final WEC lightweight title bout, defeating Henderson via unanimous decision, he opted not to wait for the winner of Edgar/Maynard rematch and instead fought Clay Guida at The Ultimate Fighter 13 Finale, losing by unanimous decision and negating his promised title shot (though he would win the UFC Lightweight Championship in his own right over Henderson in August 2013.)
UFC Bantamweight Championship
The winner of the Bantamweight Championship fight between reigning champion Dominick Cruz and challenger Scott Jorgensen determined both the final WEC Bantamweight Champion and the inaugural UFC Bantamweight Champion. This is the only UFC title fight to ever take place on another promotion's card, and the first UFC title bout to air on free television since UFC 75 in July 2007. Cruz defeated Jorgensen via unanimous decision to retain his title and become the new UFC champion.
|Lightweight||Anthony Pettis||def||Benson Henderson (c)||unanimous decision (48-47, 48-47, 49-46)||5||5:00||[a]|
|Bantamweight||Dominick Cruz (c)||def||Scott Jorgensen||unanimous decision (50–45, 50–45, 50–45)||5||5:00||[b]|
|Lightweight||Donald Cerrone||def||Chris Horodecki||submission (triangle choke)||2||2:43|
|Lightweight||Kamal Shalorus||def||Bart Palaszewski||split decision (30–27, 28–29, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Danny Downes||def||Zhang Tiequan||unanimous decision (29–28, 30–27, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Shane Roller||def||Jamie Varner||submission (rear-naked choke)||1||3:55|
|Bantamweight||Brad Pickett||def||Ivan Menjivar||unanimous decision (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Bantamweight||Eddie Wineland||def||Ken Stone||KO (slam)||1||2:11|
|Lightweight||Danny Castillo||def||Will Kerr||KO (punches)||1||1:25|
|Lightweight||Yuri Alcantara||def||Ricardo Lamas||KO (punches)||1||3:26|
|Bantamweight||Renan Barão||def||Chris Cariaso||submission (rear naked choke)||1||3:47|
Fighters were awarded $10,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: Benson Henderson vs. Anthony Pettis
- Knockout of the Night: Eddie Wineland
- Submission of the Night: Shane Roller
- "WEC 53 scores 6,348 attendance in Arizona, seventh-highest mark in history". mmajunkie.com. December 17, 2010.
- "WEC: Henderson vs. Pettis". wec.tv. September 27, 2010.
- "Dana White To Announce UFC Merger With the WEC". Bloody Elbow.
- "WEC and AMP Energy allow fans to determine location of December's WEC 53 event".
- ""Hometown Takedown" sends WEC to Phoenix; Henderson likely for WEC 53 card". MMAjunkie.com. August 19, 2010.
- "mmanews.pl knows the next opponent of Maciej Jewtuszko". mmanews.pl. October 20, 2010 (in Polish).
- "Maciej Jewtuszko has broken his hand". mmarocks.pl. October 28, 2010 (in Polish).
- "Ricardo Lamas meets newcomer Yuri Alcantara at WEC 53 in December". mmajunkie.com. November 4, 2010.
- Sherwood, Jeff. "Sherdog’s 2010 Misc. Awards Event of the Year". Sherdog. Retrieved April 25, 2011.
- "WEC 53: Dominick Cruz, Scott Jorgensen Fight To Be First UFC Bantamweight Champion". sbnation.com. December 14, 2010.
- Morgan, John; Stupp, Dann (December 17, 2010). "WEC 53 bonuses: Wineland, Roller, Pettis and Henderson earn $10K awards". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved April 25, 2011.