|Headquarters||Denver, Colorado, USA|
|Key people||Colleen Abdoulah, Chief Executive Officer and Chairwoman of the Board|
|Products||Cable TV, Broadband Internet, Phone|
WOW! (formerly WideOpenWest), is the 9th largest cable provider in the United States. It has been given accolades by Consumer Reports as the top Television and internet provider in its 2009 telecom survey.
The Telecommunications Act of 1996 gave way for more competition to enter the cable TV market. Encouraged by this law a number of investors, led by local telephone companies, established competitive broadcast cable services in markets across the country. These entities became known in the industry as 'cable overbuilders,' meaning they would build new cable infrastructure into areas where there were existing cable systems.
WOW! was founded in November 1999 in Denver, Colorado. After completing a network build in April 2001, WOW! initially served about 200 people in the Denver area. In November 2001, Americast, an overbuild system in the Midwest built and operated by Ameritech New Media, Inc., was purchased by WOW! for an undisclosed amount per subscriber, estimated to have been at a cost of $1,000 per sub. This purchase opened WOW! to over 310,000 new customers in metropolitan areas surrounding the cities of Chicago, Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit, Denver, and Evansville. WOW! no longer serves the Denver market.
In August 23, 2011, Wave Broadband and WOW! Internet, Cable, and Phone announced that they entered into an agreement to purchase substantially all of the assets of Broadstripe LLC, a provider of residential and commercial bundled communications services. On January 14, WOW! Internet, Cable and Phone completed the acquisition of Broadstripe's cable systems in Michigan.
WOW! currently offers these services; Internet, Digital Cable Television, WOW! Ultra TV, and Phone services.
||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (March 2012)|
WOW! has been recognized locally and within its industry for outstanding customer satisfaction, positive employment practices leading to satisfied employees and supporting the advancement of women.
- WOW! recognized as J.D. Power 2011 #1 in customer satisfaction with high-speed Internet service in North Central Region
- WOW! Named ‘Best Place to Work' in Indiana
- WOW! Recognized as a J.D. Power 2011 Customer Service Champion. One of only 40 companies to receive this distinction in the U.S.
- Highest in Customer Satisfaction in the J.D. Power and Associates 2010 Internet Service Provider Residential Customer Satisfaction Study for the North Central Region.
- Highest in Customer Satisfaction in the J.D. Power and Associates Residential Telephone Customer Satisfaction Study for the North Central Region.
- ConsumerSearch.org Best Regional Cable Broadband ISP
- Illinois Best Places to Work
- CableFax Magazine Independent Customer Service Award
See also 
- "Top 25 Multichannel Video Providers - As of December 2009". National Cable & Telecommunications Association.
- "CableLabs Glossary". CableLabs.
- "WOW Takes Over ex Americast Systems". Multichannel News.
- "SBC Sells For a Song". Multichannel News.
- WOW! to Acquire Knology for $19.75 Per Share in Cash
- "Portfolio". Avista Capital Partners.
- "Best places to work in".
- "J.D. Power". Retrieved 13 April 2011.
- "2010 Internet Service Provider Residential Customer Satisfaction Study". J.D. Power and Associates.
- "2010 Residential Telephone Customer Satisfaction Study". J.D. Power and Associates.
- "Best Regional Cable Broadband ISP". ConsumerSearch.org.
- "Illinois Best Places to Work". 101 Best Places to Work.
- "Independent Customer Service Award". CableFax Magazine, July 2010.