|Products||Cable television, Internet Service Provider, Cable telephony|
|Slogan||From the Company that Invented TV|
Service Electric Cable TV, Inc. (SECTV) is a cable television company serving eastern Pennsylvania and western New Jersey through three affiliates. Service Electric also offers broadband Internet and telephone services through two partner companies, PenTeleData and Ironton Telephone.
Current Affiliate Systems
Service Electric Cable TV & Communications
- Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania, Hunterdon and Warren counties in New Jersey
- Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania and surrounding communities in Luzerne County
Service Electric Broadband Cable
Service Electric Cablevision
- Birdsboro, Pennsylvania and surrounding communities in Berks, Chester and Lancaster counties
- Bloomsburg, Shamokin, Sunbury and surrounding communities
- Danville, Pennsylvania and surrounding communities in Montour, Northumberland and Union counties (using CATV Service trademark)
- Hazleton, Pennsylvania and surrounding communities
- Mahanoy City, Pennsylvania and surrounding communities
The company was started in 1948 in Mahanoy City by John Walson, who owned a General Electric appliance store. At the time, the surrounding mountains in Schuylkill County made over-the-air reception from Philadelphia television stations difficult. Walson, who was interested in selling television sets through his store, solved the problem by building an antenna on top of the mountain overlooking the town. He initially ran a cable to his warehouse and then to his appliance store, using boosters to enhance the signal. Along the way, he hooked up neighbors to the antenna system. Although there are others who have laid claim to the honor, Walson is often recognized for having built the first cable TV system in the United States. Until Walson's death, the company was known as Service Electric Cable TV, Inc., which was based in Bethlehem.
In early 2011 Service Electric commenced offloading cable systems from its Service Electric Cable Company affiliate. The cable system in Wilkes-Barre and vicinity moved operations to Service Electric Cable TV & Communications, which is currently based in Bethlehem. The cable system in Mahanoy City moved operations to Service Electric Cablevision - Hazleton Office, which corporate is currently based in Allentown.
On February 18, 2011 the Service Electric Cablevision affiliate acquired CATV Service Inc. based in Danville, Pennsylvania. As of 2012 CATV Service operates only by name through Service Electric Cablevision.
John E. Walson, eldest son of John Walson ran Service Electric Cable TV, Inc. for 38 years until his death in August of 2012. John M. Walson has taken over the role of president since his father's death.
The company's Lehigh Valley system operates TV2, a local origination cable television station. TV2 carries local news and sports, including coverage of Lehigh Valley Conference high school football, boys and girls basketball and wrestling, as well as several Lehigh University football games. In 2008, TV2 Sports began carrying home games of the Lehigh Valley IronPigs, the AAA-level Minor League affiliate of the Philadelphia Phillies. The games are televised from Coca-Cola Park in Allentown. The station has also added coverage of the Reading Phillies, the Philadelphia Phillies' AA-level minor league affiliate.
In the Lehigh Valley, an "overbuild" environment exists in many communities in which subscribers can choose between two competing cable television providers. Service Electric and RCN offer similar, though not duplicative, programming packages.
- "Our Partners". Service Electric official website. Retrieved 2011-03-31.
- "Our Founder". Service Electric official website. Retrieved 2011-03-31.
- Moss, Linda. "In the Keystone State, Service Electric Thrives". Multichannel News, August 1, 2005. Retrieved 2008-07-26.
- "2 Sports website". Retrieved 2008-07-26.
- "Lehigh Valley IronPigs official website". Retrieved 2008-07-26.
- Fybush, Scott. NERW Special: Baseball on the Radio. NorthEast Radio Watch. Retrieved 2011-04-04.
- Service Electric Broadband Cable
- Service Electric Cable TV & Communications
- Service Electric Cablevision
- TV2 Sports
- Ironton Telephone
- Service Electric Telephone
- Article on Service Electric traffic cameras.
- Here TV