Location in Humboldt County and the state of California
|• Total||8.129 sq mi (21.054 km2)|
|• Land||8.092 sq mi (20.958 km2)|
|• Water||0.037 sq mi (0.096 km2) 0.46%|
|• Density||150/sq mi (57/km2)|
|Time zone||Pacific (PST) (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|GNIS feature ID||2409573|
|U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Westhaven-Moonstone, California|
Westhaven-Moonstone is located at 41°2'22" North, 124°6'40" West (41.039522, -124.111170).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 8.1 square miles (21 km2), of which, over 99% of it is land.
The 2010 United States Census reported that Westhaven-Moonstone had a population of 1,205. The population density was 148.2 people per square mile (57.2/km²). The racial makeup of Westhaven-Moonstone was 1,083 (89.9%) White, 9 (0.7%) African American, 39 (3.2%) Native American, 18 (1.5%) Asian, 0 (0.0%) Pacific Islander, 10 (0.8%) from other races, and 46 (3.8%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 53 persons (4.4%).
The Census reported that 1,205 people (100% of the population) lived in households, 0 (0%) lived in non-institutionalized group quarters, and 0 (0%) were institutionalized.
There were 548 households, out of which 128 (23.4%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 226 (41.2%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 50 (9.1%) had a female householder with no husband present, 34 (6.2%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 51 (9.3%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 6 (1.1%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 170 households (31.0%) were made up of individuals and 38 (6.9%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.20. There were 310 families (56.6% of all households); the average family size was 2.79.
The population was spread out with 234 people (19.4%) under the age of 18, 62 people (5.1%) aged 18 to 24, 292 people (24.2%) aged 25 to 44, 432 people (35.9%) aged 45 to 64, and 185 people (15.4%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 45.6 years. For every 100 females there were 106.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 107.9 males.
There were 623 housing units at an average density of 76.6 per square mile (29.6/km²), of which 365 (66.6%) were owner-occupied, and 183 (33.4%) were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 0.8%; the rental vacancy rate was 3.1%. 872 people (72.4% of the population) lived in owner-occupied housing units and 333 people (27.6%) lived in rental housing units.
As of the census of 2000, there are 1,044 people, 453 households, and 269 families residing in the CDP. The population density is 129.2 people per square mile (49.9/km²). There are 498 housing units at an average density of 61.6 per square mile (23.8/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP is 88.98% White, 0.00% Black or African American, 5.08% Native American, 0.86% Asian, 0.00% Pacific Islander, 0.67% from other races, and 4.41% from two or more races. 4.02% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There are 453 households out of which 28.3% have children under the age of 18 living with them, 46.8% are married couples living together, 9.3% have a female householder with no husband present, and 40.6% are non-families. 28.5% of all households are made up of individuals and 5.5% have someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older. The average household size is 2.30 and the average family size is 2.80.
In the CDP the population is spread out with 19.7% under the age of 18, 8.0% from 18 to 24, 26.9% from 25 to 44, 35.9% from 45 to 64, and 9.4% who are 65 years of age or older. The median age is 42 years. For every 100 females there are 101.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there are 97.2 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP is $36,000, and the median income for a family is $34,615. Males have a median income of $37,000 versus $21,964 for females. The per capita income for the CDP is $21,493. 14.1% of the population and 11.8% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total population, 16.9% of those under the age of 18 and 0.0% of those 65 and older are living below the poverty line.
- U.S. Census
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- All data are derived from the United States Census Bureau reports from the 2010 United States Census, and are accessible on-line here. The data on unmarried partnerships and same-sex married couples are from the Census report DEC_10_SF1_PCT15. All other housing and population data are from Census report DEC_10_DP_DPDP1. Both reports are viewable online or downloadable in a zip file containing a comma-delimited data file. The area data, from which densities are calculated, are available on-line here. Percentage totals may not add to 100% due to rounding. The Census Bureau defines families as a household containing one or more people related to the householder by birth, opposite-sex marriage, or adoption. People living in group quarters are tabulated by the Census Bureau as neither owners nor renters. For further details, see the text files accompanying the data files containing the Census reports mentioned above.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Senators". State of California. Retrieved March 10, 2013.
- "Members Assembly". State of California. Retrieved March 2, 2013.
- "California's 2nd Congressional District - Representatives & District Map". Civic Impulse, LLC. Retrieved March 1, 2013.