1879 in Argentina
|See also:||Other events of 1879
List of years in Argentina
Events in the year 1879 in Argentina.
- April – Conquest of the Desert: Julio Argentino Roca begins his second sweep of the land up to the Río Negro, aiming to "extinguish, subdue or expel" the Indians who inhabit the region.
- October – Roca gives up his military career to enter politics.
- 10 November - Tandanor, a worker-owned shipyard, is founded in Buenos Aires.
- date unknown
- Argentina's first anarchist newspaper, El Descamisado, is launched.
- Aberdeen Angus cattle are first introduced to Argentina by Don Carlos Guerrero.
Arts and culture
- date unknown
- 27 May – Cesáreo Bernaldo de Quirós, post-Impressionist painter (died 1968)
- 22 November – Julio Salvador Sagreras, guitarist and composer (died 1942)
- 6 December – Rogelio Yrurtia, Realist sculptor (died 1950)
- date unknown – Juan Madariaga, general (born 1809)
- The Argentine Military and the Boundary Dispute With Chile, 1870–1902, George V. Rauch, p. 47, Greenwood Publishing Group, 1999
- Argentina: Tandanor, the old dog teaching itself new tricks. The America's Intelligence Wire. 2 Nov. 2005.
- According to http://raforum.info/spip.php?article261&lang=fr (site of an extensive list of anarchist periodicals in Argentina)
- Jorge Luis Borges, El "Martín Fierro" (ISBN 84-206-1933-7).
- McGill, Carlos Rodríguez (2002), "El Juan Moreira De Eduardo Gutiérrez: entre el discurso hegemónico y lo performativo, y la construcción del imaginario popular Argentino", MACLAS Latin American Essays.
- Biography (Spanish). Accessed 8 December 2013
- The Yrurtia Museum (in Spanish)