2013 Sungai Limau by-election
A by-election was held for the Kedah State Assembly seat of Sungai Limau on 4 November 2013 with nomination day on 23 October 2013. The seat was vacated after the death of the incumbent five-term assemblyman and former Menteri Besar of Kedah, Azizan Abdul Razak on 26 September 2013 from heart complications. Tan Sri Azizan was an assemblyman from the Pan-Malaysian Islamic Party and the first PAS Menteri Besar of Kedah.
On 21 October, Barisan Nasional made announcement that Dr Ahmad Sohaimi Lazim, lecturer in Sultan Idris University of Education has been named as BN candidate while PAS named Jerai PAS Youth chief Mohd Azam Samad as PAS candidate. The election was seen as a sort of referendum on current BN Menteri Besar of Kedah, Mukhriz Mahathir who failed in his bid to be elected as UMNO vice-president in the UMNO polls on 19 October 2013.
The by election was won by Mohd Azam Samad with a reduced majority of 1,084 votes.
|PAS||Mohd Azam Samat||12,069||52.35|
|Total valid votes||23,054||100.00|
|Total rejected ballots||145|
- "Sungai Limau by-election on November 4". The Malaysian Insider. 3 October 2013. Archived from the original on 5 October 2013.
- "Former Kedah MB Azizan dies". The Malaysian Insider. 26 September 2013. Archived from the original on 5 October 2013.
- "Lecturer named BN candidate for Sungai Limau by-election". The Star. 21 October 2013.
- "PAS names Jerai youth chief as Sg. Limau by-election candidate". ABN News. 21 October 2013.
- "Test for Mukhriz as Sungai Limau heads to polls". The Malay Mail. 4 November 2013.
- "Sungai Limau polls a baptism of fire for Mukhriz Mahathir". The Malaysian Insider. 4 November 2013. Archived from the original on 4 November 2013.
- "Sungai Limau a litmus test for both PAS and Umno". The Malaysian Insider. 23 October 2013. Archived from the original on 4 November 2013.
- "Barisan Nasional fails to win Sungai Limau, PAS majority reduced". The Malaysian Insider. 4 November 2013. Archived from the original on 27 September 2015.