5th Parachute Division (Germany)
|Some of this article's listed sources may not be reliable. (June 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|German 5th Parachute Division|
5. Fallschirmjäger Division Insignia
The division was formed in France in early 1944, commanded by Gustav Wilke and was the last division to receive near full fallschirmjäger training. It contained the 13th, 14th and 15th Fallschirmjäger Regiments, and the 5th Fallschirmjäger Artillery Regiment.
Only the 15th Regiment was ready during the Battle of Normandy and was attached to 17th SS Panzergrenadier Division in the early stages of the campaign. The rest of the division was slowly committed later in July. It took heavy losses during the campaign and was subsequently withdrawn to the Netherlands to rebuild and refit.
- Generalleutnant Gustav Wilke, 1 April 1944 - 23 September 1944
- Generalmajor Sebastian-Ludwig Heilmann, 23 September 1944 - 12 March 1945
- Oberst Kurt Gröschke, 12 March 1945 - April 1945
- "5. Fallschirmjäger-Division". Axis History Factbook. 14 August 2008. Retrieved 2009-01-08.