APEC Climate Center
The APEC Climate Center (APCC) is a governmental institution that conducts research in climate prediction, analysis and climate change application areas. It also provides climate information services and capacity building programs with the aim of strengthening scientific and technological cooperation across the APEC region. APCC was established in the APEC Senior Officials' Meeting held in November 2005. It was formally launched at the APEC Economic Leaders' Meeting in the same year. It is currently located in Busan, South Korea.
|Focus||Climate information services, climate change research|
The forerunner of the APEC Climate Center is the APEC Climate Network (APCN) established by the APEC Industrial Science and Technology Working Group (ISTWG). The Network was established with the aim of exchanging climate information among APEC economies in order to combat climate and weather related disasters. It was proposed during the 16th APEC ISTWG meeting in 1999 by the Korea Meteorological Administration and the network had its first working group meeting in May 2001.
The APCN was initiated to share reliable regional climate information among the economies. The effort was justified in terms of economic rationale. By sharing the information of individual national meteorological institutions, the institutions had received more accurate climate information through the Multi Model ensemble technique, which combine the diverse range of climate information submitted by the institutions to generate more accurate climate information. In order to further develop the technique and to help APEC member economies enhance their climate prediction capabilities through capacity building efforts, it was deemed necessary to create a formal institution. Thus through the discussions held in APEC Science and Technology Ministerial Meeting in 2004, the ISTWG Meeting in 2004 and the Senior Officials’ Meeting in 2005, the establishment of the Center was approved by APEC.
APEC Climate Symposium
The APEC Climate Symposium (APCS) is the flagship international event organized by the Center as a forum for research exchange on climate science. It has been held annually since 2006, generally in the host cities of the year's APEC meetings.
|2006||September||South Korea||Busan||Multi Model Ensemble for Climate Prediction|
|2007||September 18–20||South Korea||Busan|
|2009||July 12–15||Singapore||Singapore||Climate Prediction and Applications: Relevance for Climate Adaptation Strategies|
|2010||June 20–24||South Korea||Busan||Climate Prediction and its Application|
|2011||October 17–20||United States||Honolulu||Harnessing and Using Climate Information for Agriculture, Water Resource Management and Energy Efficiency|
|2012||October 8–11||Russia||St Petersburg||Harnessing and Using Climate Information for Decision-Making in Agriculture, Water Resource Management and Energy Efficiency|
|2013||November 11–13||Indonesia||Jakarta||Regional Cooperation on Drought Prediction Service to Support Disaster Preparedness and Management|
|2014||November 10–11||China||Nanjing||Managing climate extremes and hydrologic disasters: Scientific prediction and emergency preparedness|
|2015||November 2–4||Philippines||Manila||Application of Climate and Weather for Effective Disaster Management|
|2016||September 16–18||Peru||Lima||Smart Climate Information and Accountable Actions: Achieving Sustainable Food Security in a Changing World|
- "International Cooperation | KMA". Korea Meteorological Agency. Retrieved 2016-11-21.
- "Concept Paper on the Future Role of the APEC Climate Network (APCN)". APEC Meeting Documents. APEC. 2004. Retrieved 2016-11-21.
- "Establishment of APEC Climate Center (APCC)". APEC Project Documents. APEC. 2005. Retrieved 2016-11-21.
- "APEC Climate Symposium, December 2008". publications.apec.org. Retrieved 2016-11-21.
- "APEC Senior Officials' Report on Economic and Technical Cooperation 2010" (PDF). APEC Secretariat. 2010. Retrieved 2016-11-21.
- "Harnessing and Using Climate Information for Decision-making in Agriculture, Water Resource Management and Energy Efficiency". APEC Project Database. 2012. Retrieved 2016-11-21.
- "System: University of Hawaii hosts APEC Climate Symposium, October 17–20 | University of Hawaii News". manoa.hawaii.edu. Retrieved 2016-11-21.
- "Harnessing and Using Climate Information for Decision Making" (PDF). APEC Meeting Documents. APEC. 2012. Retrieved 2016-11-21.
- "Regional Cooperation on Drought Prediction..." APEC Project Database. Retrieved 2016-11-21.
- "Managing Climate Extremes and Hydrologic Disasters: Scientific Prediction and Emergency Preparedness" (PDF). APEC Meeting Documents. APEC. Retrieved 2016-11-21.
- "APEC Climate Symposium 2015: Application of Climate and Weather for Effective Disaster Management - UNISDR". www.unisdr.org. UNISDR. Retrieved 2016-11-21.
- "Smart Climate Information and Accountable..." APEC Project Database. APEC. Retrieved 2016-11-21.