|Directed by||Trivikram Srinivas|
|Produced by||S. Radha Krishna|
|Story by||Yuddanapudi Sulochana Rani|
|Music by||Mickey J Meyer|
|Edited by||Kotagiri Venkateswara Rao|
|Box office||est. ₹70 crore|
A Aa is a 2016 Indian Telugu-language romance film written and directed by Trivikram Srinivas. Produced by S. Radha Krishna under his banner Haarika & Hassine Creations, it features Nithiin, Samantha Akkineni, Ananya, Anupama Parameswaran, Srinivas Avasarala, Naresh, Nadhiya, Jayaprakash, Easwari Rao, and Rao Ramesh. Mickey J Meyer composed the film's score and soundtrack, while Natarajan Subramaniam and Dudley handled the cinematography.
The film is loosely based on the novel Meena written by Yaddanapudi Sulochana Rani, which had already been adapted into a 1973 movie Meena starring actor Krishna and his wife actress Vijaya Nirmala in her directorial debut. Samantha won critical praise and several accolades including a Best Actress award at the 64th Filmfare Awards South and Best Performance in a Leading Role at the 2nd IIFA Utsavam Awards, for her portrayal as Anasuya Ramalingam.
This section's plot summary may be too long or excessively detailed. (August 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
A Aa revolves around the lives of 23-year-old Anasuya Ramalingam (Samantha Akkineni) and Aanand Vihari (Nithiin) and their families. Aanand, a former chef, runs an e-food business in Hyderabad. He belongs to a middle-class family and has many responsibilities to fulfill, like getting his sister Bhanumathi married (Ananya) and paying off debts.
Anasuya is the daughter of a rich and strict mother named Mahalakshmi (Nadhiya). When her mother goes on a business trip, her father Ramalingam (Naresh) sends her along with Mangamma (Hari Teja) to Kalavapudi village near Vijayawada to spend some time at Aanand's home.
Aanand happens to be Anasuya's cross cousin, but she does not know about his family until she is sent there. While she happily discovers the joy of being at her aunt's house in kalvapudi, she comes to know that Aanand is being forced to marry Nagavalli (Anupama Parameswaran) by her father Pallam Venkanna (Rao Ramesh). However, he had agreed to marry her only after Bhanu's marriage. Anasuya and Bhanu also become good friends. Comedy scenes take place when she asks for an AC and a TV, for which he buys a 90,000 TV and gives an unliked stick and rope to open and close window (which is equal to the AC at night). One day when Nagavalli comes to their house and indirectly shows attitude to Anasuya, she gets angry and asks Aanand because he had carried her that day because she refused to eat dinner, for which he does it again, and this time, she shows attitude.
Nagavalli gets angry and asks Pallam Venkanna to do something of her and send her back to Hyderabad. He then calls her father and asks him to control his daughter. However, Gopal (Srinivasa Reddy), Mahalakshmi's secretary, calls Mahalakshmi and reveals everything. Her father understands this and calls Aanand and asks him to bring Anasuya and Mangamma back before Mahalakshmi comes from Chennai. Aanand borrows a jeep from Nagavalli (she gave him the jeep after he said he wants it to leave Anu to her house). He then goes on the road, travels down the airplane, and reaches the house when Gopal gets a phone call.
Anasuya now realises her love for Aanand when he drops her in time. However, Mahalakshmi has already arranged her to marry a rich guy named Shekhar (Srinivas Avasarala). As two times their meeting cancels, Anasuya is forced to meet him at golf course. She accidentally hits the ball on his head and the other worker's head. When she goes to the hospital to visit, she runs into Aanand. He reveals that he came here because Pallam Venkanna had harshly talked about Bhanu not getting married as she has no status and asked him to marry Nagavalli at the end of the month. This had hurt his mother, and she is now hospitalized. Anasuya is happy to see him. However, her plans are crushed after Nagavalli and Pallam Venkanna arrive. Nagavalli again starts getting close to Aanand, and this angers Anasuya. She pleads Aanand to let Bhanu come and stay with her. Aanand agrees but gives permission for only for one day.
Anasuya brings her home and reveals to Mahalakshmi that Bhanu is Aanand's sister. Mahalakshmi initially refuses to let Bhanu in but agrees later. She reveals that she had taken a loan from Aanand's father for business, and when she came to return the money, they had refused and closed the door on her face. She warns Anasuya to be careful with Bhanu. That night Bhanu sees Shekhar's photo and says he is good-looking. Anasuya again gains an idea, and next day, takes her to a mall and makes a deal with Bhanu that since she had canceled her marriage, Bhanu owes her and should do the same for her, for which Bhanu agrees. Anasuya again meets Aanand in the mall. She also comes across her mother's friend Latha (Sana) and is caught with Aanand but is relieved when she sees Latha having an extra-marital affair with Raghu (Raghu Babu), although she is married. Pallam Venkanna's brother Pallam Narayana (Posani Krishna Murali) also comes across them, but Aanand manages to divert him. Meanwhile, Shekhar falls for Bhanu. However, his grandfather mistakes Bhanu for Anasuya and arranges for their marriage. Anasuya proposes to Aanand, who reveals that Mahalakshmi refusing to give back the money she borrowed, was the reason for his father's death. Mahalakshmi discovers that Shekhar loves Bhanu and not her daughter and locks her up. This angers Anasuya, who meets Aanand and urges him to elope with her. He refuses, and this angers her more, and she starts walking aimlessly. She gets kidnapped by Pallam Venkanna's henchmen. Aanand brings her back in time for her engagement with Shekar and takes Bhanu with him. He reveals to Bhanu that he loves Anasuya, and she urges him to reveal the truth to Anasuya. He goes back and does so, saying that he will keep her happy in any way she wants and takes her. Mahalakshmi demands Aanand to let go of her daughter, for which he says that she had gone to give money on the cremation day of his father and she is the reason for his death as Mahalakshmi failed to repay the loaned money on time and takes Anasuya with him.
When Anasuya and Aanand reach his house, she is surprised to see her parents there. Her father reveals that as soon as Anasuya and Aanand left, Mahalakshmi had a seizure attack, and he changed her mind about them, and the relationship between her mother and Anasuya is also good now. Aanand catches a mouse says that there is no one to trouble her anymore leaving him, for which she laughs.
Pallam Venkanna sees that Nagavalli is happily eating chicken and not worried about Aanand and Anasuya. She says that if one day they are separated, he will come to her only to marry. Pallam Venkanna tries to stop Shekhar from visiting Bhanu to fix their marriage, but he is unable to. The film ends on a happy note.
- Nithiin as Aanand Vihari/Nandu
- Samantha Akkineni as Anasuya Ramalingam/Anu
- Ananya as Bhanumathi/Bhanu, Anand's sister
- Anupama Parameswaran as Nagavalli/Valli, Anand's chosen bride
- Rao Ramesh as Pallam Venkanna, Valli's father
- Srinivas Avasarala as Shekhar Banerjee, Anasuya's chosen groom
- Naresh as Ramalingam, Anasuya's father
- Nadhiya as Mahalakshmi, Anasuya's mother
- Jayaprakash as Satyawada Krishnamoorthy, Anand's father
- Easwari Rao as Kameshwari, Anand's mother
- Hari Teja as Mangamma, Anasuya's assistant
- Ajay as Pallam Venkana's son and Nagavalli's brother (unnamed character)
- Srinivasa Reddy as Gopal, Mahalakshmi's secretary
- Posani Krishna Murali as Pallam Narayana, Venkanna's brother
- Giri Babu as Mr. Banerjee, Shekhar's grandfather
- Shanoor Sana as Latha, Mahalakshmi's friend
- Raghu Babu as Raghu, Latha's boyfriend
- Praveen as Muthyam, Anand's servant
- Shakalaka Shankar as Pratap, a thief
- Sri Sudha Bhimireddy
- Heroshini Komali
- Karate Kalyani
- Annapoorna as Baby mamma (cameo)
- Chammak Chandra as a groom for Bhanu (cameo)
- Gundu Hanumantha Rao as a Chammak Chandra's father (cameo)
During the end of August 2015, it was announced that Trivikram Srinivas will be directing a movie with Nithiin and Samantha, and S.Radha Krishna will produce the film under his banner Haarika & Haasine Creations. In early September 2015, the makers announced the name of this movie as A Aa – Anasuya Ramalingam Vs Anand Vihari.
Samantha Ruth Prabhu makes her third collaboration with Trivikram Srinivas (after Attarintiki Daredi, and S/O Satyamurthy). During mid September Anupama Parameswaran was confirmed to be a part of the film playing the second heroine. During Mid September, it was reported that Nadhiya will be playing a key role in this film. During Early October 2015, it was reported that Srinivas Avasarala was a part the film playing a key role. In early November it was reported that Ananya was selected to play the role of Nithiin's sister Bhanumathi. It was also reported that she had initially turned down the offer, but later accepted it after she realized the scope of her character. During Mid-January it was reported that Naresh will be a part of this film. It was also reported that he will be playing husband of Nadhiya.
Anirudh Ravichander was selected to compose the music for this film during early August, making his Tollywood debut. However, he was later replaced by Mickey J Meyer due to his busy schedules with Tamil movies. Natarajan Subramaniam and Dudley are the Cinematographers. During the end of August it was also confirmed that Kotagiri Venkateswara Rao will be the editor, and Rajeevan will be the art director of this film. Rajeevan was replaced by A.S Prakash as the art director of this movie during late November 2015.
This movie was launched on 24 September 2015 with a pooja ceremony at Ramanaidu Studios. The regular shooting of this film was expected to start on 10 October 2015. But later the shooting was delayed to 16 October 2015. Samantha started shooting for this film on 21 October 2015. During Mid November 2015, it was reported that Samantha would be dubbing for her role for the first time in Telugu. However, this was later refuted by Samantha herself During early January 2016, it was reported that the filming was progressing rapidly, and Nithiin was reportedly enjoying every bit of the shooting, being super happy with the output of the film so far. As of early February 2016, 80 percent of the shooting is completed and also the major part of the talkie has been shot. Filming of new schedule commenced in Pollachi on 15 February, and the unit canned a romantic duet and some important scenes featuring Nitin and Samantha for 10 days. Filming of final schedule commenced on 26 February in Hyderabad. The Filming has been wrapped up on 23 April 2016.
The soundtrack for A Aa comprises 5 songs composed by Mickey J Meyer. Four of the songs were written by Ramajogayya Sastry and one by Krishna Chaitanya. Aditya Music acquired its marketing rights. Launched on 2 May at a ceremony in Shilpakala Vedika, with actor Pawan Kalyan attending as chief guest, the audio received positive reviews from critics.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||2 May 2016|
|Producer||Mickey J. Meyer|
|Mickey J. Meyer chronology|
|1.||"Yaa Yaa"||Ramajogayya Sastry||K.S. Chithra, Abhay Jodhpurkar, Anjana Sowmya Sai Shivani||04:00|
|2.||"Rang De"||Ramajogayya Sastry||Ramya Behara, Rahul Nambiar, Sai Shivani||04:01|
|3.||"Anasuya Kosam"||Krishna Chaitanya||Karthik, Rap: Roll Rida||03:25|
|4.||"Mummy Returns"||Ramajogayya Sastry||Sravana Bhargavi||02:53|
|5.||"Yellipoke Syamala"||Ramajogayya Sastry||Karthik||03:35|
Producer S. Radha Krishna had initially planned to release the film for Sankranthi 2016, but later the release date was moved to 14 February 2016 to release it on Valentine's Day. During early February, the release was again postponed to 22 April 2016. but again the movie was postponed to 2 May 2016 (which again did not happen). Again, the makers had planned to release the movie by the end of May, but 'A..Aa' was then slated to release in the second week of June, due to Mahesh Babu's Brahmotsavam as a majority of the theaters in Telugu states are going be occupied with Mahesh Babu's movie, the makers were planning to release in 2 June week, yet an official statement regarding the postponement is yet to be made.
BlueSky Cinemas, one of the leading players in overseas market for Indian movies bought the rights of this film during early November 2015. They bought the rights of this film before the filming began. During the end of December 2015, Eurotolly bought rights from BlueSky Cinemas to distribute this movie in Europe (excluding UK).
A Aa collected ₹ 38 crore gross and ₹ 27 crore share worldwide in the first weekend. in the second week movie collected ₹ 15.48 crore gross worldwide and made a total of ₹ 67.40 crore gross and ₹ 44.38 crore share worldwide in two weeks. In its lifetime movie collected a total gross of ₹ 75.4 and share of ₹ 47.48 crore worldwide.
Sangeetha Devi Dundoo of The Hindu wrote "Simple tale, effectively told. Trivikram Srinivas narrates an enjoyable tale of romance and relationships". The Times of India gave 3 out of 5 stars stating "Trivikram really gives this modern take an edge of its own and sets it apart from both the book and the earlier film, Meena (1973). Mickey J Meyer's music which is refreshing and the camerawork of Natarajan and Dudley who give the film a visual splendour". The New Indian Express gave 3 out of 5 stars stating "Trivikram Srinivas masterfully elevates a simple story into a romantic comedy. A..Aa undoubtedly is Samantha's film, she delivers a stellar performance and shows what she can do if given ample screen time. Nithiin delivers his finest performance too". Daily News and Analysis gave 3 out of 5 stars stating "A...Aa a film that adds humour to a regular boy-girl romance which should be seen to be experienced. Samantha and Nithiin's performances in this movie will be what people will rave about for days to come". Jeevi of Idlebrain.com gave 3.25 out of 5 stars stating "Plus points of the film are Trivikram dialogues, Samantha and emotional scenes. On the flipside, the flashback of the film which is the foundation looks little hazy and the pace in second half should have been faster".
Awards and nominations
- "Natty did some serious homework for A... Aa"
- Top 25 highest-grossing Telugu movies of the year Archived 31 December 2016 at the Wayback Machine
- "Dilwale DOP Dudley replaces Natarajan in Nithiin's next". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "A...Aa' will surpass $2.5 million mark at US box office in its lifetime run: BlueSky bosses"
- "A...Aa review: Simple tale, effectively told". The Hindu. Retrieved 3 June 2016.
- Yellapantula, Suhas. "A..Aa Review: Please welcome Samantha the actress". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 3 June 2016.
- "Samantha-Nithiin to start shooting from September". The Times of India. Retrieved 30 August 2015.
- "Trivikram's Samantha-Nithin starrer titled 'A Aa Anasuya Ramalingam Versus Aanand Vihari'". dna India. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- "Samantha-Pawan Kalyan to start shooting from September". DNA India. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- "Anupama Parameswaran moving to Telugu film industry". sajmedia.in. Archived from the original on 15 October 2015. Retrieved 14 October 2015.
- "Anupama Parameshwaran makes Tollywood debut". moviemint. Archived from the original on 23 September 2015. Retrieved 11 September 2015.
- "Trivikram's 'A...Aa' launch date". Indiaglitz. Retrieved 21 September 2015.
- "Trivikram ropes in talented director for his next". 123telugu.com. Retrieved 1 October 2015.
- "Ananya to be part of Trivikram-Nithiin-Samantha-Anupama's Telugu film 'A..Aa'". IB Times. Retrieved 4 November 2015.
- "Trivikram's A.Aa Slated To Release in March". Telugodu. Archived from the original on 30 January 2016. Retrieved 21 January 2016.
- "Anirudh to compose for Trivikram's Telugu film". The Times of India. Retrieved 5 August 2015.
- "Anirudh to make Telugu debut with Trivikram's next". Indiaglitz. Retrieved 30 August 2015.
- "INSIDE STORY: Finally Trivikram's ego satisfied". Apherald. Retrieved 25 November 2015.
- "Trivikram – Pawan Kalyan's 'A..Aa' movie launched". Indiaglitz. Retrieved 24 September 2015.
- "Trivikram Srinivas bags projects with Mahesh and Pawan?". Greatandhra.com. Retrieved 28 September 2015.
- "Trivikram-Nithiin film gets a start date". 123telugu.com. Retrieved 4 October 2015.
- "Samantha joins Trivikram's A..Aa shoot". telugu cinema. Retrieved 21 October 2015.
- "Actress Samantha plays a satire on her own dubbig". Gulte.com. Retrieved 1 June 2016.
- "Pawan Kalyan'S A AA SHOOTING RAPIDLY". Industry Hit. Archived from the original on 7 January 2016. Retrieved 7 January 2016.
- "Trivikram – Pawan Kalyan film 80% complete". Telugu Cinema. Retrieved 2 February 2016.
- "Trivikram's A..Aa nearing completion". Telugu 360. Retrieved 2 February 2016.
- "Trivikram A..Aa reaches Pollachi". Telugu 360. Retrieved 15 February 2016.
- "Trivikram to start shooting A..Aa in Hyd". Telugu Cinema. Retrieved 25 February 2016.
- "A..Aa wraps up its shoot". 123 Telugu. Retrieved 24 March 2016.
- "Trivikram's Samantha-Nithin starrer titled 'A...Aa Anasuya Ramalingam Versus Anand Vihari'". dna india. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- "Trivikram's A..Aa kickoff from today". Tollywood.net. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 16 October 2015.
- "Trivikram's next for Valentine's day ?". 123 Telugu. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "TRIVIKRAM-Pawan Kalyan'S 'A…AA' ON 22 APRIL". Industry Hit. Retrieved 5 February 2016.
- "A..Aa Overseas by BlueSky". Idlebrain.com. Retrieved 1 October 2015.
- "A..Aa Europe by Eurotolly". Idlebrain.com. Retrieved 31 December 2015.
- "'Aâ€¦Aa' movie 1st weekend box office collection: Nithin-Samantha starrer grosses Rs. 38 crore in 4 days". International Business Times. 6 June 2016. Retrieved 1 January 2020.
- ""A...Aa" 2nd week box office collection: Nithin's film crosses Rs. 70 crore worldwide in 15 days". International Business Times. 19 June 2016. Retrieved 1 January 2020.
- "Best of Tollywood 2016: Top 25 highest-grossing Telugu movies of the year". International Business Times. 28 December 2016. Retrieved 1 January 2020.
- "Nithiin's 'A...Aa' Is Smashing Box-Office Records in US". CNN-News18. 6 June 2016. Retrieved 1 January 2020.
- "A…Aa box office collections: Nithiin Reddy-starrer third highest grossing Telugu film in the US". Indian Express. 14 June 2016. Retrieved 1 January 2020.
- "A…Aa: Simple tale, effectively told". The Hindu. 2 June 2016. Retrieved 1 January 2020.
- "A Aa Movie Review". The Times of India. 2 June 2016. Retrieved 1 January 2020.
- "A..Aa Review: Please welcome Samantha the actress". The New Indian Express. 2 June 2016. Retrieved 1 January 2020.
- "'A...Aa' review: You'll fall in love with Nithiin Reddy, Samantha Ruth Prabhu in this rom-com". Daily News and Analysis. 2 June 2016. Retrieved 1 January 2020.
- "A.. Aa (Anasuya Ramalingam v/s Anand Vihari) jeevi review". Idlebrain.com. 2 June 2016. Retrieved 1 January 2020.
- "Zee Cinemalu Awards". Zee Cinemalu. Retrieved 1 January 2020.
- "Zee Cinemalu Award Results". Zee Cinemalu. Retrieved 1 January 2020.
- "Zee Cinemalu Awards Winners List". Zee Cinemalu. 24 March 2017. Retrieved 1 January 2020.
- "IIFA Utsavam 2017 Telugu nomination list: Janatha Garage, Oopiri get most nods". International Business Times. 14 March 2017. Retrieved 1 January 2020.
- "NTR Junior and Samantha clinch laurels at IIFA Utsavam". The Times of India. 30 March 2017. Retrieved 1 January 2020.
- "64th Filmfare South Awards 2017: Here's Malayalam, Tamil, Telugu, Tamil nomination lists". International Business Times. 9 June 2017. Retrieved 1 January 2020.
- "Winners of the 64th Jio Filmfare Awards (South)". Filmfare. 17 June 2017. Retrieved 1 January 2020.
- "SIIMA awards 2017 nominations announced". Sify. 1 June 2017. Retrieved 1 January 2020.
- "Santosham South India Film Awards-2017". TeluguCinemas.in. Retrieved 1 January 2020.(in Telugu)
- "Andhra Pradesh government announces Nandi awards for 2014–2016". The Times of India. 15 November 2017. Retrieved 1 January 2020.