|Produced by||S. Radha Krishna|
|Based on||Meena by Yaddanapudi Sulochana Rani|
|Music by||Mickey J Meyer|
|Edited by||Kotagiri Venkateswara Rao|
|Box office||₹75.4 crore|
A Aa is a 2016 Telugu romantic comedy film written and directed by Trivikram Srinivas. Produced by S. Radha Krishna under his banner Haarika & Hassine Creations, it features Nithin and Samantha Ruth Prabhu in the lead roles. Mickey J Meyer composed the film's score and soundtrack while Natarajan Subramaniam and Dudley handled the cinematography. The film is loosely based on the novel Meena written by Yaddanapudi Sulochana Rani, which had already been adapted into a 1973 movie Meena starring actor Krishna and his wife actress Vijaya Nirmala in her directorial debut. Production began on 24 September 2015 in Hyderabad and principal photography commenced on 16 October 2015. The film was released worldwide on 2 June 2016. The film received 7 nominations in the 64th Filmfare Awards South and 3 nominations in the 2nd IIFA Utsavam. Samantha won Best Actress in Leading Role Awards at the 64th Filmfare Awards South and 2nd IIFA Utsavam Awards for her performance as Anasuya Ramalingam.
A Aa is all about two cousins Anasuya a.k.a Anu and Aanand a.k.a Nandu. Anu loves Nandu after meeting and staying in his house but doesn't express it. Their families are not in a good relationship with each other. Circumstances force them to marry Nagavalli and Shekhar.
A Aa revolves around the lives of 23-year old Anasuya Ramalingam (Samantha Ruth Prabhu) and Aanand Vihari (Nithiin) and their families. Aanand, a former caterer, works as a chef in Hyderabad. He belongs to a middle-class family and has many responsibilities to fulfill, like marrying off his sister Bhanumathi (Ananya) and paying off debts.
Anasuya is the daughter of a rich and strict mother Mahalakshmi (Nadhiya). When her mother goes on a business trip, her father Mahalingam (Naresh) sends her along with Mangamma (HariTeja) to Kalavapudi village near Vijayawada to spend some time at Aanand's home.
Aanand happens to be her cousin but she doesn’t know about his family till she is sent there. While she happily discovers the joy of being at her aunt’s house, she comes to know that Aanand is being forced to marry Nagavalli (Anupama Parameswaran) by her father Pallam Venkanna (Rao Ramesh). But he had agreed to marry her only after Bhanu's marriage. Anasuya and Bhanu also become good friends. Comedy scenes take place when she asks for an A.C. and a T.V. For which he unlikingly buys her 90,000 T.V. and gives a stick and rope to open and close window which is equal to A.C. at night. One day when Nagavalli comes their house and indirectly shows attitude to Anasuya, she gets angry and asks Aanand because he had carried her that day because she refused to eat dinner for which he does it again and this time she shows attitude.
Nagavalli gets angry and asks Pallam Venkanna to do something of her. He then calls her father and asks him to control his daughter. But Gopal (Srinivasa Reddy), Mahalakshmi's secretary, calls Mahalakshmi and reveals everything. Her father understands this and calls Aanand and asks him to bring Anasuya and Mangamma back before Mahalakshmi comes from Chennai. Aanand borrows a jeep from Nagavalli (She gave him the jeep after he said he wants it to leave Anu to her house).
Anasuya now realises her love for Aanand when he drops her in time. However, Mahalakshmi has already arranged her to marry a rich guy Shekhar. As two times their meeting cancels, Anasuya is forced to meet him at golf course. She by mistakely hits the ball on his head and the other worker's head. When she goes to hospital, she surprisingly meets Aanand. He reveals that he came here because Pallam Venkanna had harshly talked about Bhanu not getting married as she has no status and asked him to marry Nagavalli at the end of the month. This had hurt his mother and she is hospitalized. Anasuya is happy to see him now. However, her plans are crushed after Nagavalli and Pallam Venkanna arrive. Nagavalli again begins to show attitude by getting close to Aanand. This angers Anasuya and she pleads Aanand to leave Bhanu to come and stay with her (Actually she got this idea and when Aanand refused, she cryingly said that he is now Nagavalli's and doesn't care for her). Aanand agrees but gives permission for only for one day.
Anasuya brings her home and reveals to Mahalakshmi that she is sister of Aanand and makes a short dialogue and she agrees but reveals that she had taken loan from Aanand's father for business and when she came to return the money, they had honestly refused and closed the door. That night Bhanu sees Shekhar's photo and says he is good looking. Anasuya again gains an idea and next day takes her to a mall and makes a deal with Bhanu that she had canceled her marriage and now she should do it for which she agrees. Anasuya again meets Aanand in the mall. She also comes across her mother's friend Latha (Sana) and is catched with Aanand but feels safe when she sees Latha also dating with Raghu (Raghu Babu) although she is married and Pallam Venkanna's brother Pallam Narayana (Posani Krishna Murali) but Aanand manages him. In the time Shekhar falls for Bhanu. But his grandfather mistakes Bhanu for Anasuya and arranges to marry them. Anasuya proposes Aanand who reveals that, that time Mahalakshmi didn't gave back the money even though she had it because of which his father died. Mahalakshmi discovers that Shekhar loved Bhanu and not her daughter and locks her up. Nagavalli gets more angry and gets her kidnaped on the last day before her marriage. Aanand brings her back and takes Bhanu with him before going he reveals to Bhanu that he really loved Anasuya. Bhanu gives him hopes and he goes and says to Anasuya that he will keep her happy in anyway she wants and takes her. Mahalakshmi asks to leave her daughter for which he says that she had went to give money on the burning day of his father and she is the reason for his death and takes Anasuya with him.
When Anasuya and Aanand reach his house, she is surprised to see her parents there. Her father reveals that, that day Mahalakshmi had a heart attack when they left her and he changed her mind. And the relationship between her mother and Anasuya is also good now. Aanand catches a mouse says that there is no one to trouble her anymore leaving him for which she laughs.
Pallam Venkanna sees that Nagavalli is happily eating chicken and not tensed about Aanand and Anasuya. She says that if one day they are separated, he will come to her only to marry. Pallam Venkanna tries to stop Shekhar to visit Bhanu but is enabled. And the film ends on a happy note.
- Nithin as Aanand Vihari (Nandu) (Aanand Bihari in hindi dubbed version)
- Samantha Ruth Prabhu as Anasuya Ramalingam (Anu) (Anasuya Ram Singh in hindi dubbed version)
- Anupama Parameswaran as Nagavalli (Bubli in hindi dubbed version)
- Naresh as Ramalingam, Anasuya's father
- Nadhiya as Mahalakshmi, Anasuya's mother
- Hari Teja as Mangamma, Anasuya's assistant
- Ananya as Bhanumathi (Bhanu), Anand's sister
- Rao Ramesh as Pallam Venkanna, Nagavalli’s father
- Srinivas Avasarala as Shekhar Banerjee, Anasuya's chosen groom
- Ajay as Pallam Venkana's son and Nagavalli's brother (unnamed character)
- Srinivasa Reddy as Gopal, Mahalakshmi's secretary
- Jayaprakash as Satyawada Krishnamoorthy, Anand's father
- Easwari Rao as Kameshwari, Anand's mother
- Posani Krishna Murali as Pallam Narayana, Venkanna's brother
- Giri Babu as Mr. Banerjee, Shekhar's grandfather
- Sana as Latha, Mahalakshmi's friend
- Raghu Babu as Raghu, Latha's affair
- Praveen as Muthyam, Anand's servant
- Shakalaka Shankar as Pratap, a thief
- Sri Sudha Bhimireddy
- Annapoorna as Baby mamma (cameo)
- Chammak Chandra as a groom for Bhanu (cameo)
During the end of August 2015, it was announced that Trivikram Srinivas will be directing a movie with Nitin and Samantha in the lead roles, and S.Radha Krishna will produce the film under his banner Haarika & Haasine Creations. In early September 2015, the makers announced the name of this movie as A Aa - Anasuya Ramalingam Vs Anand Vihari.
Samantha Ruth Prabhu makes her third collaboration with Trivikram Srinivas (after Attarintiki Daredi, and S/O Satyamurthy). During mid September Anupama Parameswaran was confirmed to be a part of the film playing the second heroine. During Mid September, it was reported that Nadhiya will be playing a key role in this film. During Early October 2015, it was reported that Srinivas Avasarala was a part the film playing a key role. In early November it was reported that Ananya was selected to play the role of Nitin's sister Bhanumathi. It was also reported that she had initially turned down the offer, but later accepted it after she realized the scope of her character. During Mid-January it was reported that Naresh will be a part of this film. It was also reported that he will be playing the role of husband of Nadhiya.
Anirudh Ravichander was selected to compose the music for this film during early August making his tollywood debut. But he was later replaced by Mickey J Meyer due to his busy schedules with Tamil movies. Natarajan Subramaniam and Dudley are the Cinematographers. During the end of August it was also confirmed that Kotagiri Venkateswara Rao will be the editor, and Rajeevan will be the art director of this film. Rajeevan was replaced by A.S Prakash as the art director of this movie during late November 2015.
This movie was launched on 24 September 2015 with a pooja ceremony at Ramanaidu Studios. The regular shooting of this film was expected to start on 10 October 2015. But later the shooting was delayed to 16 October 2015. Samantha started shooting for this film on 21 October 2015. During Mid November 2015, it was reported that Samantha would be dubbing for her role for the first time in Telugu. However, this was later refuted by Samantha herself During early January 2016, it was reported that the filming was progressing rapidly, and Nitin was reportedly enjoying every bit of the shooting, being super happy with the output of the film so far. As of early February 2016, 80 percent of the shooting is completed and also the major part of the talkie has been shot. Filming of new schedule commenced in Pollachi on 15 February, and the unit canned a romantic duet and some important scenes featuring Nitin and Samantha for 10 days. Filming of final schedule commenced on 26 February in Hyderabad. The Filming has been wrapped up on 23 April 2016.
Producer S.Radha Krishna had initially planned to release the film for Sankranthi 2016, but later the release date was moved to 14 February 2016 to release it on Valentine's Day. During early February, the release was again postponed to 22 April 2016. but again the movie was postponed to 2 May 2016 (which again did not happen). Again, the makers had planned to release the movie by the end of May, but 'A..Aa' was then slated to release in the second week of June, due to Mahesh Babu's Brahmotsavam as a majority of the theaters in Telugu states are going be occupied with Mahesh Babu's movie, the makers were planning to release in 2 June week, yet an official statement regarding the postponement is yet to be made.
BlueSky Cinemas, one of the leading players in overseas market for Indian movies bought the rights of this film during early November 2015. They bought the rights of this film before the filming began. During the end of December 2015, Eurotolly bought rights from BlueSky Cinemas to distribute this movie in Europe (excluding UK).
The soundtrack for A Aa comprises 5 songs composed by Mickey J Meyer. Four of the songs were written by Ramajogayya Sastry and one by Krishna Chaitanya. Aditya Music acquired its marketing rights. Launched on 2 May at a ceremony in Shilpakala Vedika, with actor Pawan Kalyan attending as chief guest, the audio received positive reviews from critics.
|1.||"Yaa Yaa"||Ramajogayya Sastry||K.S. Chithra, Abhay Jodhpurkar, Anjana Sowmya Sai Shivani||04:00|
|2.||"Rang De"||Ramajogayya Sastry||Ramya Behara, Rahul Nambiar, Sai Shivani||04:01|
|3.||"Anasuya Kosam"||Krishna Chaitanya||Karthik, Rap: Roll Rida||03:25|
|4.||"Mummy Returns"||Ramajogayya Sastry||Sravana Bhargavi||02:53|
|5.||"Yellipoke Shyamala"||Ramajogayya Sastry||Karthik||03:35|
- Filmfare Award for Best Actress - Telugu - Samantha Ruth Prabhu - Won
- Filmfare Award for Best Male Playback Singer - Telugu - Karthik - Won
- Filmfare Award for Best Film - Telugu - Nominated
- Filmfare Award for Best Director - Telugu - Trivikram - Nominated
- Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor - Telugu - Rao Ramesh - Nominated
- Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress - Telugu - Anupama Parameswaran
- Filmfare Award for Best Music Director - Telugu - Mickey J Meyer - Nominated
- Best Actress - Telugu - Samantha Ruth Prabhu - Won
- Best Actress in a Supporting Role - Telugu - Nadhiya - Nominated
- Best Actor in a Negative Role - Telugu - Rao Ramesh - Nominated
- "Natty did some serious homework for A... Aa"
- Top 25 highest-grossing Telugu movies of the year Archived 31 December 2016 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Dilwale DOP Dudley replaces Natarajan in Nithiin's next". Times of India. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "A...Aa' will surpass $2.5 million mark at US box office in its lifetime run: BlueSky bosses"
- "A...Aa review: Simple tale, effectively told". The Hindu. Retrieved 2016-06-03.
- Yellapantula, Suhas. "A..Aa Review: Please welcome Samantha the actress". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 2016-06-03.
- "Samantha-Nithiin to start shooting from September". Times of India. Retrieved 30 August 2015.
- "Trivikram's Samantha-Nithin starrer titled 'A Aa Anasuya Ramalingam Versus Aanand Vihari'". dna India. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- "Samantha-Pawan Kalyan to start shooting from September". DNA India. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- "Anupama Parameswaran moving to Telugu film industry". www.sajmedia.in. Retrieved 14 October 2015.
- "Anupama Parameshwaran makes Tollywood debut". moviemint. Retrieved 11 September 2015.
- "Trivikram's 'A...Aa' launch date". Indiaglitz. Retrieved 21 September 2015.
- "Trivikram ropes in talented director for his next". 123telugu.com. Retrieved 1 October 2015.
- "Ananya to be part of Trivikram-Nithiin-Samantha-Anupama's Telugu film 'A..Aa'". IB Times. Retrieved 4 November 2015.
- "Trivikram's A.Aa Slated To Release In March". Telugodu. Retrieved 21 January 2016.
- "Anirudh to compose for Trivikram's Telugu film". The Times of India. Retrieved 5 August 2015.
- "Anirudh to make Telugu debut with Trivikram's next". Indiaglitz. Retrieved 30 August 2015.
- "INSIDE STORY: Finally Trivikram's ego satisfied". Apherald. Retrieved 25 November 2015.
- "Trivikram - Pawan Kalyan's 'A..Aa' movie launched". Indiaglitz. Retrieved 24 September 2015.
- "Trivikram Srinivas bags projects with Mahesh and Pawan?". Greatandhra.com. Retrieved 28 September 2015.
- "Trivikram-Nithiin film gets a start date". 123telugu.com. Retrieved 4 October 2015.
- "Samantha joins Trivikram's A..Aa shoot". telugu cinema. Retrieved 21 October 2015.
- "Actress Samantha plays a satire on her own dubbig". Gulte.com. Retrieved 1 June 2016.
- "Pawan Kalyan'S A AA SHOOTING RAPIDLY". Industry Hit. Retrieved 7 January 2016.
- "Trivikram - Pawan Kalyan film 80% complete". Telugu Cinema. Retrieved 2 February 2016.
- "Trivikram's A..Aa nearing completion". Telugu 360. Retrieved 2 February 2016.
- "Trivikram A..Aa reaches Pollachi". Telugu 360. Retrieved 15 February 2016.
- "Trivikram to start shooting A..Aa in Hyd". Telugu Cinema. Retrieved 25 February 2016.
- "A..Aa wraps up its shoot". 123 Telugu. Retrieved 24 March 2016.
- "Trivikram's Samantha-Nithin starrer titled 'A...Aa Anasuya Ramalingam Versus Anand Vihari'". dna india. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- "Trivikram's A..Aa kickoff from today". Tollywood.net. Retrieved 16 October 2015.
- "Trivikram's next for Valentine's day ?". 123 Telugu. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "TRIVIKRAM-Pawan Kalyan'S 'A…AA' ON APRIL 22". Industry Hit. Retrieved 5 February 2016.
- "A..Aa Overseas by BlueSky". Idlebrain.com. Retrieved 1 October 2015.
- "A..Aa Europe by Eurotolly". Idlebrain.com. Retrieved 31 December 2015.