A Song for You (The Temptations album)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|A Song for You|
|Studio album by The Temptations|
|Released||January 16, 1975|
|Producer||Berry Gordy, Jeffrey Bowen, James Anthony Carmichael, Suzee Wendy Ikeda, Clayton Ivey, Terry Woodford|
|The Temptations chronology|
A Song for You is a 1975 album by The Temptations. It features two R&B #1 hits: "Happy People" (originally intended for recording by its authors, The Commodores), and "Shakey Ground", one of the group's final R&B #1 songs.
A Song for You features a familiar device of the time used to exhibit the versatility of 1970s soul groups: one side features up-tempo cuts and the other side focuses on ballads. Several songs on side one such as "Glass House" and "Shakey Ground" featured P-Funk-backed dance grooves and even a writing credit for former Funkadelic guitarist Eddie Hazel, while side two had tracks such as "I'm a Bachelor" and "Memories", which showcased a more subdued style of soul.
This album, while it was initially panned by the Rolling Stone Record Guide, proved its worth, going gold (selling over 500,000 copies) and winning the 1976 American Music Award for Best R&B/Soul Album. This was also the final album by Eddie Kendricks's replacement Damon Harris, who was let go after this album. He would rejoin his Young Tempts bandmates as Impact.
- "Happy People" - 3:38 (Lionel Richie, Jeffrey Bowen, Donald Baldwin) ((lead singer: Dennis Edwards)
- "Glasshouse" - 3:54 (Charlemagne) (lead singers: Dennis Edwards, Damon Harris, Richard Street, Otis Williams, Melvin Franklin)
- "Shakey Ground" - 4:03 (Eddie Hazel, Al Boyd, Bowen) (lead singer: Dennis Edwards)
- "The Prophet" - 4:28 (Bowen, Kathy Wakefield, Larry Duncan) (lead singer: Melvin Franklin)
- "Happy People" (Instrumental) - 2:57 (Richie, Bowen, Baldwin)
- "A Song for You" - 4:40 (Leon Russell) (lead singer: Dennis Edwards)
- "Memories" - 6:01 (Baldwin, Wakefield, Bowen) (lead singer: Dennis Edwards)
- "I'm a Bachelor" (Dennis Edwards, Otis Williams, Damon Harris, Richard Street, Melvin Franklin) - 4:21 (lead singer: Dennis Edwards)
- "Firefly" - 4:02 (Jesse Boyce) (lead singers: Richard Street, Melvin Franklin)
- Dennis Edwards: vocals
- Damon Harris: vocals
- Richard Street: vocals
- Melvin Franklin: vocals
- Otis Williams: vocals
- Berry Gordy: producer
- Jeffrey Bowen: producer
- Donald Charles Baldwin: co-songwriter: ("Happy People", "Memories"), piano, clavinet, Moog, soprano saxophone solo on "Shakey Ground"
- The Commodores: tape loop on "Happy People"
- Lionel Richie: co-songwriter: ("Happy People")
- Eddie Hazel: co-songwriter: ("Shakey Ground"), guitar
- Melvin "Wah-Wah" Ragin: guitar
- Ollie Brown, James Gadson, Zachary Frazier: drums
- William "Billy Bass" Nelson: bass guitar