Adrian van Hooydonk
|Adrian van Hooydonk|
Adrian van Hooydonk at Geneva Motor Show 2018
|Born||21 June 1964|
|Education||Delft University of Technology|
|Notable work||BMW 7 Series (2001)|
BMW Z9 (1999)
Adrian van Hooydonk (born 21 June 1964 in Echt, Limburg), is a Dutch automobile designer and BMW Group's Design Director and best known for several modern BMW concept cars and production vehicles. He is based in Munich, Germany.
He studied at Delft University of Technology in the Netherlands, where he received his diploma in 1988. His career started off with one year as a freelance designer, followed in 1989 as a product designer with GE Plastics Europe, and then returned to study Automotive Design Studies at Art Center Europe in Vevey, Switzerland.
Work at BMW
He joined BMW in 1992 as an automotive exterior designer in Munich, Germany. In 2000 he was Head of Automotive Exterior Design at BMW's industrial design centre DesignworksUSA, quickly becoming the president of Designworks in 2001. He left Designworks in 2005 to be promoted to head up the Brand Design Studio, under the direction of the BMW Group Design Director Chris Bangle, and in 2009 became Director of BMW Group Design, succeeding Chris Bangle as the head of design for the company. As head of group design he oversees the design work of BMW, Mini and Rolls-Royce. He credits Italian architect Mario Bellini as one of his most influential designers.
- BMW 5 Series (2010)
- BMW 6 Series
- BMW 7 Series (2001) 
- BMW X3 
- BMW X5
- BMW Z9 (1999) 
- Mini ACV30 (1997)
- "BMW Car Designers". bmwism.com. Archived from the original on 2012-11-22. Retrieved 2009-09-22.
- "Business diary: Adrian van Hooydonk, BMW". Financial Times.
- "Car Design News 3 February 2009". Archived from the original on 2011-07-08. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
- Top Gear 1 February 2005 Archived February 6, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- "ADRIAN VAN HOOYDONK: It Was My Dream Job". 032c Workshop.
- "Adrian Van Hooydonk, Head of BMW Design - This Much I Know Interview - Motor Trend". Motor Trend Magazine. 1 June 2006.
- "Bloomberg Business". Bloomberg.com.
- Top Gear 1 February 2010 Archived June 29, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- BMW Designers Adrian van Hooydonk among the BMW automotive designers.