Aichi Gakuin University
Aichi Gakuin University
Chikusa-ku, Nagoya, Japan
Aichi Gakuin University (愛知学院大学 Aichi gakuin daigaku?) is a private university in Aichi Prefecture, Japan. It has campuses at the city of Nisshin, Aichi, Chikusa-ku, Nagoya and Meijō Park in Nagoya. The predecessor of the university, a Soto Zen college, was founded in 1876, and it was chartered as a university in 1953.
The university began as a Soto Zen school in 1876, and retains strong connections to Soto Zen. In 1903 in accordance with revisions to education regulations, it was renamed the Sotozen No. 3 middle school. In 1925 it was renamed the Aichi middle school. In 1948 it was reformed as a high school, and in 1950 it became Aichi Gakuin Junior College. In 1953 it was finally established as Aichi Gakuin University. It began offering doctoral courses in 1976.
Faculties and departments
The university currently consists of the following faculties and other divisions:
- Faculty of Letters (文学部)
- Department of History (歴史学科)
- Department of English Language and Cultures (英語英米文化学科)
- Department of Global English (グローバル英語学科)
- Department of Japanese Culture (日本文化学科)
- Department of Religious Culture (宗教文化学科)
- Faculty of Psychological and Physical Science (心身科学部)
- Department of Psychology (心理学科)
- Department of Health Science (健康科学科)
- Department of Health and Nutrition (健康栄養学科)
- Faculty of Business and Commerce (商学部)
- Department of Business and Commerce (商学科)
- Faculty of Management (経営学部)
- Department of Management (経営学科)
- Faculty of Economics (経済学部)
- Department of Economics (経済学科)
- Faculty of Law (法学部)
- Department of Law (法律学科)
- Department of Law and Contemporary Society (現代社会法学科)
- Faculty of Policy Studies (総合政策学部)
- Department of Policy Studies (総合政策学科)
- School of Pharmacy (薬学部)
- Department of Pharmacy (医療薬学科)
- School of Dentistry (歯学部)
- Department of Dentistry (歯学科)
- Junior College (短期大学部)
- Department of Dental Hygiene (歯科衛生学科)
- Division of Liberal Arts and Sciences (教養部)
National and international partner universities
Aichi Gakuin is sister school to two other universities originating in Soto Zen institutions, Komazawa University in Tokyo and Tohoku Fukushi University in Sendai. Internationally, it has overseas partners in Edinburgh University in the UK, Bond University in Australia, University of Victoria in Canada, the University of Nebraska at Kearney, and University of Arkansas-Fort Smith in the US, and Hunan Normal University in China. It has academic cooperation agreements with Pierre and Marie Curie University in France, University of the East College of Dentistry in the Philippines, Hanoi Medical University in Vietnam, Dalian University, Changchun University and Ludong University in China, the Health Sciences University of Mongolia, the University of California, San Francisco and Elmira College in the US, the University of Dental Medicine, Yangon in Myanmar, Padjadjaran University in Indonesia, and the National University of Laos.
In 2003 on the 50th anniversary of the university's charter, former US President Bill Clinton was invited to give a lecture and received an honorary doctorate for his dedication to world peace, following which he met the parents of Yoshihiro Hattori, a Japanese high school student whose death in the US ten years previously had prompted worldwide calls for stricter US gun control. In 2015, the Dalai Lama gave a speech and interview with journalist Akira Ikegami.
List of AGU alumni
- Kenji Kanda, Japanese politician (LDP member of the House of Representatives)
- Yukio Yoshida, Japanese politician (LDP member of the House of Representatives)
- Masaki Inayoshi, Nova holdings
Science and academia
- Shigemi Gotou, noted Orthodontistry specialist, chair of the Japanese Orthodontic Society
- Shigeki Iwai Japanese culture scholar
- Takao Kobayashi, historian
- Tatsuro Okuda, Japanese footballer
- Katsunori Kuwabara, Japanese pro-golfer
- Shigetatsu Matsunaga, Japanese professional footballer and coach
- Yohei Kurakawa, Professional footballer
- Keiji Yoshimura, Professional footballer
- Toshiyasu Takahara, Professional footballer
- Shingo Hoshino, Professional footballer
- Dan Howbert, Japanese Professional footballer
- Yutaka Akita, Japan international professional footballer
- "AGU Data". Aichi Gakuin University. 1 May 2006. Retrieved 27 December 2010.
- "Student Life". Aichi Gakuin University website. Aichi Gakuin University. Retrieved 24 June 2015.
- "Clinton meets kin of slain exchange student". Japan Times. Associated Press. 20 November 2003.
- "Dalai Lama tells Aichi students to build better future by looking to the past". Asahi Shimbun. 8 April 2015.