Tzu Chi University
Motto in English
|Kindness, Compassion, Joy, and Unselfish Giving|
NT$ 1.2 billion|
($ 40 million)
Hualien City, Taiwan, Taiwan|
Suburban, 0.69 km²,|
|Colors||Green and Silver|
|Tzu Chi University|
Tzu Chi University (TCU; Chinese: 慈濟大學) is a private university in Hualien City, Hualien County, Taiwan. It was founded by the Tzu Chi Foundation (NGO) and is famous in Taiwan for the quality of the medical education it provides. TCU has strong ties with Hualien Tzu Chi General Hospital (on the same premises as the university) as well as five teaching hospitals in other parts of Taiwan.
- 1 History
- 2 Organization
- 3 Campus facilities
- 4 Presidents
- 5 Ranking
- 6 International academic exchanges
- 7 Transportation
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
The institution was established as the Tzu Chi Medical College in April 1994. Humanities and social science students have been accepted since 1998, when the name was changed to Tzu Chi College of Medicine and Humanities. In July 2000, the name was changed to Tzu Chi University.
Tzu Chi University is headed by a president and a board of trustees. The university is organized into four colleges that contain 18 research institutes and 17 academic departments.
College of Medicine
- School of Medicine
- Master Program in Biochemistry
- Master Program in Microbiology and Immunology
- Master Program in Physiological and Anatomical Medicine
- Master/PhD Program in Pharmacology and Toxicology
- Graduate Institute of Medical Science
- Department of Nursing
- Department of Medical Informatics
- Department of Public Health
- Department of Laboratory Medicine & Biotechnology
- Department of Physical Therapy
College of Life Science
- Department of Life Science
- Graduate Institute of Life Science
- Department of Molecular Biology and Human Genetics
- Graduate Institute of Molecular Biology and Human Genetics
College of Humanities & Social Science
- Department of Human Development
- Department of English Language and Literature
- Department of Social Work
- Institute of Religion
- Institute of Social Work
- Department of Oriental Philology
College of Education & Communication
- Department of Communication
- Department of Child Development and Family Studies
- Institute of Education
The university also runs the Affiliated Senior High School of Tzu Chi University, a daughter institution for secondary-school students in Taiwan.
- Medical Simulation Center
- Doping Control Center
- English Education Center
- Centers for Language Studies
- Health Communication Center
- Animal Experimentation Center
- Continuing Education Center
- Tzuchi University Radio Station (FM 88.3 MHz)
- Library: Around 350,000 volumes and Internet connection to other libraries in Taiwan.
- Information System Center: Computer training courses for students, staff, and faculty and a multimedia room.
- Gymnasium: Indoor facilities for badminton, basketball, table tennis, aerobics, and fitness, an indoor Olympic standard swimming pool, and outdoor basketball courts, tennis courts, volleyball courts, and a jogging track.
- On-campus dormitories: Four students share one room with a bathroom.
- Cafeteria: vegetable meals, NT$15 for breakfast, NT$25 for lunch and dinner.
The university had 56 student clubs or societies in 2010.
- 10 km Road Race: Before students graduated, every undergraduate had to run the race in 80 minutes biyearly. Starting from 2013, however, it is no longer required for students to participate.
- February 1993-May 2005, Lee Ming-liang (李明亮), MD-PhD: Minister of the Department of Health of the Republic of China, 2000-2002
Top 4000 World Universities: 821 (webometric, Jan 2011)
Top 4000 World Universities: 1217 (webometric, Jan 2010)
International academic exchanges
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tzu Chi University.|