Ismailia Air Base
|Ismailia Air Base
|Near: Ismailia, Egypt|
Members of No. 458 Squadron RAAF at RAF Ismailia, 1942
Location in Egypt
|Owner||Egyptian Armed Forces|
|Operator|| Royal Air Force
United States Army Air Forces
Egyptian Air Force
|Controlled by||Royal Air Force (1935-1956)
Ninth Air Force (1942)
Egyptian Air Force (1956-Present)
Ismailia Air Base Air Base is an Egyptian Air Force (Arabic: القوات الجوية المصرية, El Qūwāt El Gawīyä El Maṣrīyä) helicopter base, located approximately 4 km west-northwest of Ismailia; (Al Isma`iliyah); 116 km northeast of Cairo.
During World War II, the airfield, then known as RAF Ismailia or Ismailia Airfield, was used as a military airfield by the British Royal Air Force and the United States Army Air Force during the North African Campaign against Axis forces. Ismailia was a pre-World War II station, originally opened about 1916.
Today, the airfield is an active Egyptian Air Force base. The base is housing an SA-342 Gazelle unit and further is this base being used for other military helicopter movements.
Major units assigned
- Royal Air Force
- No. 208 Squadron RAF 1920-1922
- No. 113 Squadron RAF Aug-Sep 1917
- No. 211 Squadron RAF Jan 1939-Nov 1940
- No. 40 Wing RAF 1919-Apr 1920
- No. 33 Squadron RAF 1938 - ?
- United States Army Air Forces (Ninth Air Force)
- 12th Bombardment Group October 1942-Undetermined (B-25 Mitchell)
- 436th Troop Carrier Group, 13 August - 18 October 1942. C-47 Skytrain
- 434th Bombardment Group, 14 August – 29 September 1942, B-25 Mitchell[dubious ]
- "Gladiator Ace" (2010), B. Cull, Haynes Publishing, p.20 -21.
- This article incorporates public domain material from the Air Force Historical Research Agency website http://www.afhra.af.mil/.
- Maurer, Maurer. Air Force Combat Units of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History, 1983. ISBN 0-89201-092-4.
- Maurer, Maurer, ed. (1982) . Combat Squadrons of the Air Force, World War II (PDF) (reprint ed.). Washington, DC: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-405-12194-6. LCCN 70605402. OCLC 72556.
|This article about an airport in Egypt is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This RAF article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|