Alan Richard Bundy
18 May 1947
|Alma mater||University of Leicester (BSc, PhD)|
|Institutions||University of Edinburgh|
|Thesis||The Metatheory of the Elementary Equation Calculus (1971)|
|Doctoral advisor||Reuben Goodstein|
Alan Richard Bundy CBE FRS FRSE FREng is a professor at the School of Informatics at the University of Edinburgh, known for his contributions to automated reasoning, especially to proof-planning, the use of meta-level reasoning to guide proof search.
Career and research
Since 1971, Bundy has worked at the University of Edinburgh: initially in the 'Metamathematics' Unit, which in 1972 became the Department of Computational Logic, in 1974 was absorbed into the new Department of Artificial Intelligence and in 1998 was absorbed into the new School of Informatics. From 1971–73, he was a research fellow on Prof. B. Meltzer's Science and Engineering Research Council (SERC) grant Theorem Proving by Computer; in 1973 he was appointed a university lecturer; in 1984 he was promoted to reader; in 1987 he was promoted to professorial fellow; and in 1990 he was promoted to professor. From 1987–92 he held a SERC Senior Fellowship. From 1998–2001 he was Head of the newly formed Division (subsequently School) of Informatics at Edinburgh.
From 2000–2005 he was a founder and convener of the UK Computing Research Committee, which plays an advocacy role for computing research in the UK. From 2010 he served as a Vice-President and Trustee of the British Computer Society with special responsibility for the Academy of Computing.
Honours and awards
Bundy was a founding AAAI Fellow in 1990, and elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh (FRSE) in 1996, a founding fellow of AISB in 1997, a founding fellow of European Coordinating Committee for Artificial Intelligence (ECCAI) in 1999, a fellow of the British Computer Society in 2004, and a Fellow of the Institution of Electrical Engineers in 2005. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering (FREng)  in 2008. He was elected an ACM Fellow in 2014 "For contributions to artificial intelligence, automated reasoning, and the formation and evolution of representations.".
He is the winner of the 2007 IJCAI Award for Research Excellence and Herbrand Award for Distinguished Contributions to Automated Deduction.
|“||Alan Bundy has made world-leading contributions to both automated reasoning and the automated formation and evolution of representations of knowledge. He has developed novel techniques with improved efficiency, range and behaviour. His work on automated reasoning has found application in hardware and software systems development, where it has increased the level of automation. It has decreased the skill level and development time required to verify computer programs and has been taken up by industry. His work on representation evolution facilitates communication between agencies with different representations of related knowledge.||”|
- Anon (2015). Bundy, Prof. Alan Richard. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who (online Oxford University Press ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. doi:10.1093/ww/9780199540884.013.U9391. (subscription required)
- Alan Bundy publications indexed by Google Scholar
- Alan Bundy at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- "List of Fellows". raeng.org.uk. Royal Academy of Engineering.
- http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/bundy/ Professor Alan Bundy's website
- http://dream.inf.ed.ac.uk/ Mathematical Reasoning Group
- Alan Bundy at DBLP Bibliography Server
- Alan Bundy publications indexed by the Scopus bibliographic database. (subscription required)
- Bundy, Alan Richard (1988). "The use of explicit plans to guide inductive proofs". 9th International Conference on Automated Deduction. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. 310. pp. 111–120. doi:10.1007/BFb0012826. ISBN 978-3-540-19343-2.
- Alan Bundy author profile page at the ACM Digital Library
- Bundy, A.; Stevens, A.; Van Harmelen, F.; Ireland, A.; Smaill, A. (1993). "Rippling: A heuristic for guiding inductive proofs". Artificial Intelligence. 62 (2): 185. doi:10.1016/0004-3702(93)90079-Q.
- Bundy, Alan (1986). Computer modelling of mathematical reasoning (PDF). OCLC 59289386.
- Bundy, Alan Richard (1971). The Metatheory of the Elementary Equation Calculus (PhD thesis). University of Leicester. hdl:2381/34566. OCLC 1063438754. EThOS uk.bl.ethos.674029.
- ACM Fellows 2014
- "HP Press Release: HP Selects 41 Professors for Innovation Research Awards".
- "No. 60009". The London Gazette (Supplement). 31 December 2011. p. 7.
- "Professor Alan Bundy CBE FREng FRS". London: Royal Society. Archived from the original on 2015-11-05.