Alastair Bruce, 5th Baron Aberdare
|The Lord Aberdare|
Arms of Lord Aberdare
|Member of the House of Lords|
15 July 2009
|Preceded by||The Viscount Bledisloe|
|Born||2 May 1947|
|Spouse(s)||Elizabeth Mary Cuthbert Foulkes|
|Relations||Morys, Lord Aberdare (father)
Maud Helen Sarah Dashwood(mother)
Personal life and education
Lord Aberdare is the son of Morys, 4th Lord Aberdare, and Maud Helen Sarah Dashwood, only daughter of Sir John Dashwood, 10th Baronet. The 5th Lord succeeded his father upon the latter's death in 2005. Aberdare was educated at Eton and Christ Church, Oxford.
He married Elizabeth Mary Culbert Foulkes in 1971, and they have two children:
- Hon. Hector Morys Napier Bruce (born 1974)
- Hon. Sarah Katherine Mary Bruce (born 1976)
House of Lords
In July 2009 he was elected to sit in the House of Lords, following the death of crossbench hereditary peer Christopher, Viscount Bledisloe in May 2009. A by-election took place under the terms of the House of Lords Act 1999, which provided for 92 hereditary peers to keep their seats in the reformed House, with vacancies in their number filled from amongst those hereditary peers deprived of their seats. The result was announced in the Chamber of the Lords on 15 July 2009, following the voting by 27 of the 29 Crossbench peers eligible to take part. He made his maiden speech on 26 November 2009.
IBM, 1969–1991; Partner, Bruce Naughton Wade, 1991–1999; Director, ProbusBNW since 1999 Trustee, National Botanic Garden of Wales, 1994–2006. Fellow, Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufactures & Commerce. Honorary Fellow of Cardiff University since July 2008. He is Bailiff of St Davids of the Venerable Order of St John of Jerusalem, Priory of Wales.
Aberdare is president of the Cynon Valley History Society.
|Ancestors of Alastair Bruce, 5th Baron Aberdare|
- "Aberdare, Baron (Bruce) (Baron UK 1873)" Debrett's Peerage & Baronetage 1995 London: Debrett's Peerage Limited, 1995, p. 4
- Who's Who 2008, A & C Black, 2008; online edn, Oxford University Press, December 2007
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Current session contributions in Parliament at Hansard
- Voting record at PublicWhip.org
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou.com
- Profile at Westminster Parliamentary Record
- Profile at BBC News Democracy Live
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
|This biography of a baron in the peerage of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|